collapse

* Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Decision - NC700X vs. CB500X  (Read 7914 times)

Offline Chabu

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Shadow 600
  • City / Town: Delaware
Decision - NC700X vs. CB500X
« on: August 07, 2013, 02:24:48 PM »
Hi all. Fairly new rider here and currently own a Honda Shadow 600. I use my bike for occasional commuting (weather permitting) and weekend rides. I've been looking for my next bike as I prefer "adventure-style" commuters. I've been trying to decide between the cb500x abs and the nc700x /abs. There are 2 things that have been holding me back from the nc - one, the price is much higher and, two, the DCT. I've been reading through threads of people's feelings around the DCT but am curious how it performs on tight slow-speed turns (which can be challenging for this new rider on my cruiser). Also, the extra money is a tough one but I can get over that if I'm extraordinarily happy . Needless to say the DCT is intriguing and I'm in love with the false gas tank storage area!

I posted the above question on an nc700 forum and am curious on the counterpoints from a cb500x perpective!

For the sake of proper cross-pollination here's the link to the other post:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline baggy

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: West Midlands
Re: Decision - NC700X vs. CB500X
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 02:31:31 PM »
Take them both for test rides if you can mate.

I did and ended up with the CB500X. I found that the NC did not accelerate as quick as the CB and the extra revs on the CB makes a difference. I also thought the lid to the compartment that holds the helmet (usually the petrol tank) was flimsy as was the hinge that hold up the pillion seat to get to the filler cap to fill with fuel.

Also as you say the CB is 1000 cheaper in the UK.

Offline phunone

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: philly
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 04:00:20 PM »
Chabu,
I had a similar decision prior to the CB500X... I really like that the 7 has that HUGE under "tank" storage and low center of gravity.  I decided against the 7 because of the low rpm riding style as researched throughout the web; It peaks it's torque on the lower rpm range and has no benefits above that range = low rpm shifting (Oh, the DCT is an option, you can get one without it).  The "NC" stands for "New Concept" and is basically half of a Honda Fit engine in a scooter frame; all good, but I like a bike for being a bike, so I got the "down and dirty" 5.  In my mind, I like the traditional motorcycle feel with the higher revs, higher torque (at the higher rev range) and riding.  That being said, I really love my bike.  It's more narrow than the 7 and I think a bit lighter, the seat is a tad bit higher than the 7.  All in all, the bike brakes excellent, handles really well, and is super-comfy.   I use it to commute as well. Hope this helps.
-p

Offline Chabu

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Shadow 600
  • City / Town: Delaware
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 07:18:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies but I've decided the next bike will have ABS so, in the US we can only get ABS with DCT on the nc.

My local dealer will call me as soon as they get an X in stock as I have yet to sit on one and that could be the difference too.

Offline ltrinh

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA
  • City / Town: Temcula, ca
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 10:41:04 PM »
If you don't care about DCT... $500 for ABS on CB500X and $2000 for ABS on NC.

I think clutch is more fun than DCT... So CB500XA is my choice.

*Originally Posted by Chabu You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks for the replies but I've decided the next bike will have ABS so, in the US we can only get ABS with DCT on the nc.

My local dealer will call me as soon as they get an X in stock as I have yet to sit on one and that could be the difference too.

Offline abacadef

• CB500X Newbie
  • KCCO!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 05:20:28 AM »
I chose the 500 - similar power when ignoring torque curves, 42lbs lighter, about the same size and look. I'm 6'4" , 210lbs and the bike is plenty for me. It goes wherever I want so far too- great in the curves, good on dirt too. Go with the 500 for 6spd with abs. The gearbox is a blast to mow through. I don't get why you can't get an abs nc without dct. I did sit on the 700, a bit bulkier but not an incredible amount of difference. The price point was the final deciding factor for me. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Offline abacadef

• CB500X Newbie
  • KCCO!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 05:23:21 AM »
Oh, one more comment from a service perspective - the 500x shares many common parts with the 2 other new 500 bikes. Parts are cheap, easy to get and there will be plenty of aftermarket stuff out there shortly.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage