Author Topic: Rear Tire Alignment  (Read 415 times)

Offline Sorg67

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
Rear Tire Alignment
on: August 02, 2020, 11:26:32 AM
I recently changed the chain and re-aligned the rear wheel.

I measured the adjustment bolt and rear axel reference points and eye-balled the chain.  It appears straight to me.  Is that close enough.

I have see alignment tools that attach to the chain and provide a visual reference for alignment.  Is that necessary?

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
Re: Rear Tire Alignment
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 12:24:53 PM
I use string method to align rear wheel. It works reasonably well and it's cheap as peanuts. Found alignment marks not very precise.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 03:30:49 PM
your right on most bikes the marks on the swing arm are just a reference-from the factory the chain aligned with a lazer(Honda)- so when you get the bike the rear should be straight - strings good also if you measure the amount of adjuster bolts with a caliper sticking out it should be very close like within 1mm
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline spirit986

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X ABS
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 09:30:47 PM
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
your right on most bikes the marks on the swing arm are just a reference-from the factory the chain aligned with a lazer(Honda)- so when you get the bike the rear should be straight - strings good also if you measure the amount of adjuster bolts with a caliper sticking out it should be very close like within 1mm

Now that I see this post I found this, a Laser-Monkey-Chain-Alignment-Tru-Tension tool on Amazon, and I am thinking to buy it.

Offline CBRDEAN0

• CB500X Member
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 09:40:10 PM
*Originally Posted by spirit986 [+]
Now that I see this post I found this, a Laser-Monkey-Chain-Alignment-Tru-Tension tool on Amazon, and I am thinking to buy it.

I thought the plastic laser monkey was a horrible thing to use when I borrowed one.

I use a Profi-CAT chain alignment laser tool - works much better.

Offline wardie

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2016 CB 500 X
Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 02:56:42 AM
*Originally Posted by CBRDEAN0 [+]
I thought the plastic laser monkey was a horrible thing to use when I borrowed one.

I use the same Laser tool. Simple unbreakable and dead on. Cant go wrong and u can keep in tool kit on bike
Wardie

Offline Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 09:23:07 AM
*Originally Posted by wardie [+]
I use the same Laser tool. Simple unbreakable and dead on. Cant go wrong and u can keep in tool kit on bike

+1, yes same here.

Superplasma.

Offline spirit986

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X ABS
Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 01:14:53 PM
*Originally Posted by CBRDEAN0 [+]

Thank you all for letting me know about this. I guess I won't be buying the plastic one.

Online oldtexan

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2018 CB500x ABS
Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 03:16:26 PM
I use this for wheel alignment: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/motion-pro-chain-alignment-tool.  It's well made, requires no batteries, is not internet enabled, and is simple to use.  It can rattle around in a tool box and not break.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 04:36:52 PM
*Originally Posted by oldtexan [+]
I use this for wheel alignment: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/motion-pro-chain-alignment-tool.  It's well made, requires no batteries, is not internet enabled, and is simple to use.  It can rattle around in a tool box and not break.
Have you tried it on the 500X - I have one but being the rear sprocket is not flat but has a ridge around it I could not get it on straight
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike