Author Topic: New Bike, Same Old Confusing Gauge Settings.  (Read 2036 times)

Old Dog, oldtexan and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline MoToad

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CB500X, Tw200
New Bike, Same Old Confusing Gauge Settings.
on: August 03, 2020, 06:37:43 PM
Does anyone really understand the gauge settings? Read thru the book, finally figured out how to turn up the display back light. (Apparently have to go thru clock reset first.) Guess what I was really looking for was what several of my past bikes have had; a comprehensive readout of how many kms. you have to go before you are out of gas. They would count down kms. Don't think there is any such animal here but is there something similar? I see the reserve will flash but not tell you how many kms to go. On past long trips with out nation sometimes having good distances between gas stations, I knew exactly how much farther I had to go.
Takin a likkin but I'm still tickin.

Offline Cal

• CB500X Member
Re: New Bike, Same Old Confusing Gauge Settings.
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 10:53:54 PM
And to top it off, the trip meter A resets by its self when you hit reserve, so unless you are paying attention before it resets you have no idea how many km you have ridden on the present tank!

Offline MoToad

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 11:52:50 PM
One thing I noticed; you can turn trip meter A off. Does that mean it won't reset or it doesnt show at all?
OK. Just read that setting it to off deactivates the auto reset. But I still can't find that warning label. You know, the one that says 'Operating the motorcycle without an Einstein IQ is dangerous'.
Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 11:56:53 PM by MoToad

Online Neox

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 12:02:36 AM
*Originally Posted by Cal [+]
And to top it off, the trip meter A resets by its self when you hit reserve, so unless you are paying attention before it resets you have no idea how many km you have ridden on the present tank!
It's an option you can change.
I put mine to manual reset.

Offline MoToad

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 12:28:02 AM
And then I found this.

Offline DandyDoug

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2020 CB500X
Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 01:23:34 AM
I keep on looking for that 12yr old geeky kid , I bet he can set mine for me. Until then I just have to hope the fuel gauge is working correctly.
Faster,faster,faster , until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Offline Swanny

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 20 500X & CB1300
Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 09:33:45 AM

Mine does that too. I thought something was broken  :156: What a stupid idea
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Online HarrySeaward

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 11:09:02 AM

I don't like this either, but FYI you can just push the SET button and it'll go back to the Trip A miles/kilometers, at least for a little while before reverting to flashing "0.1 gal."

Online motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 02:47:26 PM
*Originally Posted by DandyDoug [+]
I keep on looking for that 12yr old geeky kid , I bet he can set mine for me. Until then I just have to hope the fuel gauge is working correctly.
When you find him tell him I could use help the 2019 has so much more useless crap I tried a few times and gave up--not sure what's all in there
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 05:08:44 PM
When the reserve light starts flashing you basically have one gallon left in the tank, and the counter starts counting up the amount you’ve used - 0.1 gallon, 0.2 gallon etc.

If you’re riding at the same pace, you’ll know what mpg you’re averaging, and therefore approximately how many more miles you’ve got before you run out.

Essentally the reserve is going to be good for at least 50-60 miles unless you’re really ragging it.

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

victorious-backstage