Author Topic: New Bike, Same Old Confusing Gauge Settings.  (Read 2069 times)

Flash88, nbsdave, CBRDEAN0, MoToad, Swanny, Old Dog and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online MoToad

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CB500X, Tw200
Re: New Bike, Same Old Confusing Gauge Settings.
Reply #30 on: August 07, 2020, 05:43:09 PM
Then there's the guy who can't figure out how to get the seat off. :164:
Takin a likkin but I'm still tickin.

Offline Andy M

• CB500X Member
Reply #31 on: August 09, 2020, 03:35:49 PM
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
3 pages on how to press 2 buttons - I hope nobody has a digital watch!!!   :008:

40 years ago I could indeed set the date on a Casio. You'd have hoped things would have moved on.

The easiest way to deal with daylight saving BTW is to take the battery off at midnight.  :001:

I have however found something worse. My new headphones can change volume with a finger tap. Right ear for up, left for down. So far so good. The brochure however lists two pages of different functions, forty in total , each achieved by combinations of tapping or sticking your finger on each earbud  :087: :151: :005:

Andy

Offline HarrySeaward

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
Reply #32 on: August 10, 2020, 11:08:37 AM
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
"A digital watch? - what on earth is a digital watch?"

I was immediately reminded of this classic NTNON sketch:

Jx

Hilarious!

Online MoToad

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #33 on: August 13, 2020, 11:49:03 PM
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
When the reserve light starts flashing you basically have one gallon left in the tank, and the counter starts counting up the amount you’ve used - 0.1 gallon, 0.2 gallon etc.

If you’re riding at the same pace, you’ll know what mpg you’re averaging, and therefore approximately how many more miles you’ve got before you run out.

Essentally the reserve is going to be good for at least 50-60 miles unless you’re really ragging it.

Jx

Finally did find it in the book, JMo. It's 3/4 gal left for u guys, 2.8L for us. With my Strom it would count down from a full tank (kms). But it didn;t go all the way to empty. This way you really know when you are stretched tin.

Online MoToad

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #34 on: August 20, 2020, 05:07:05 PM
After figuring it all out I have to say I am impressed with the features they packed in there. The only thing I miss that I had on a number of other bikes is a thermometer. And only because it's so damned hot riding around here these days that I am curious what temp I am riding in.

Online CBRDEAN0

• CB500X Pro
Reply #35 on: August 20, 2020, 06:30:09 PM
*Originally Posted by MoToad [+]
After figuring it all out I have to say I am impressed with the features they packed in there. The only thing I miss that I had on a number of other bikes is a thermometer. And only because it's so damned hot riding around here these days that I am curious what temp I am riding in.

Have just fitted this temp gauge on the opposite side to the 12v outlet - seems to do the job
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-24V-Orange-OLED-Display-Digital-Car-Thermometer-Temperature-Gauge/372286146759?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Online Neox

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
Reply #36 on: August 20, 2020, 11:28:38 PM
that's the engine temperature I'd like to have.
my previous 500S had it and it saved me the day the fan fuse blew during a hot day.

Offline Sloth

• CB500X Member
  • Lazy old git
  • Bike: CB500X
Reply #37 on: Today at 04:44:23 PM
*Originally Posted by CBRDEAN0 [+]

Where did you mount the sensor. Last bike I found it really difficult to find a place that was not an 'oven', near rad or engine. Ended up putting it on underside of handlebar with a bit of padding to prevent heat conduction

And am I the only one that finds the digital speedo distracting with the constant number change flash by. I would prefer a circular analogue - please tell me theres a setting for that - and why not?
BSA Starfire, Honda NT650V, NT700V

Online CBRDEAN0

• CB500X Pro
Reply #38 on: Today at 04:47:13 PM
*Originally Posted by Sloth [+]
Where did you mount the sensor. Last bike I found it really difficult to find a place that was not an 'oven', near rad or engine. Ended up putting it on underside of handlebar with a bit of padding to prevent heat conduction

It is mounted on the fairing subframe almost in the beak of the bike - seems to be reasonably accurate there and isn't picking up header/radiator heat when standing.

Online Swanny

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 20 500X & CB1300
Reply #39 on: Today at 06:13:55 PM
*Originally Posted by CBRDEAN0 [+]

Can you use it to measure outside temp?
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305: