Author Topic: Ricor fork valves  (Read 826 times)

Offline Cal

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Ricor fork valves
on: August 03, 2020, 08:33:16 PM

After a couple month wait for the arrival of my Ricor Intiminators Inertia Active Valves , I finally received them and installed them this past weekend. Jon at Ricor was a pleasure to deal with, he sent a second shipment after the first shipment was stuck in LA for over 5 weeks seemingly lost. The first shipment did finally show up after 3 months in transit!
I had the Ricor valves in my F650GS for over 100,000km and they transformed that bike so I look forward to trying them in the CB500X. Once I have ridden a few trips I’ll report back. For now this is just the installation report.
I also bought the Yamaha Bolt 2014 /2017 fork Gaiters to install since the forks would be off, they fit perfectly. Part number 1TP-F31E0-V0-00
The Honda workshop manual states that the 2018 forks contain 434 ml of 10 wt oil. I measured the oil I drained out at 400 ml the same in both forks, some may have been on the springs hence the lessor amount?
The Ricor valves drop into the tubes with just a small amount of friction and slowly fall down to rest on the fork piston. Jon sent me various size wear rings ( like a piston ring) so I would have a friction fit inside the tubes. I measured the ones I used at 36mm. The valves are meant to fit a Transalp and the wear rings were a little small so I used the next size up. There was no listing for the CB500X. The part number is 41D-50-1411.
The Honda manual gives an air measurement of 7 inchs with the forks fully compressed so this is what I used for the amount of oil to add, it was 410ml of 5 wt. Amsoil shock therapy.
I then cut the spacers by 5/8th “because that was the width of the Intiminators.
The fork caps are tricking to put on because of the spring preload, it would have been handy to have a deep socket for this.
Stay tuned for the test rides.

Offline Swanny

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 20 500X & CB1300
Re: Ricor fork valves
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 09:37:46 AM
Nice one. How much do they cost?  :762:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline Cal

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 03:16:41 PM
I paid $175.00

Offline Mikey66

• CB500X Member
Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 05:25:43 PM
Thanks for the post and doing the research on this. I used the Intiminators in a DR650 and a few KLR’s and they really transformed the handling, especially on choppy washboard sections.
These are next on the farkle list. Look forward to your ride report.  :047:

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 01:02:32 AM
*Originally Posted by Mikey66 [+]
Thanks for the post and doing the research on this. I used the Intiminators in a DR650 and a few KLR’s and they really transformed the handling, especially on choppy washboard sections.
These are next on the farkle list. Look forward to your ride report.  :047:

I had a set installed on my Transalp 600. Rode down to the south of France and took them out. I found that on smooth french highway they were truly excellent, but as soon as the roads got a bit more rural the front end started to feel unstable. This isn't a dismissal of the intiminators at all, but I think they suit certain bike set ups more so than others. At the end of the day, it's a blow off valve that allows you to run thinner oil, so you're bound to feel improved high speed damping compared to a stock damper rod fork.

Be really interested to see how they feel on the X. I have RR level 1 kit on mine. Similar design and function. No substitute for proper cartridge forks but then I can't afford them and it's hard to justify the expense on this bike.

it's as well to remember that the recommended oil level/air gap/oil weight is only a starting point. Messing with budget forks is a rabbit hole down which I've travelled to the point where you don't know your arse from your elbow.

If you really want to get involved, there's a great thread over on advrider, where people were re shimming intiminators and altering the height and flow characteristics of the oil bypass holes to dial them in for certain riding styles...you can get some excellent results, but you have to be prepared to strip and rebuild many times (including fresh oil etc.) and pay really close attention to each small modification. This is why top notch forks are the way to ; it's a couple of clicks with a screwdriver and easy to reference. If honda had the b*lls to do proper adv spec on the X (tubeless spoked wheels, high quality adjustable suspension, ali swingarm, switchable abs and 10 more bhp at the wheel they'd have an absolute killer travel bike...but I imagine sales  of the A twin would slump
Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 01:19:15 AM by Jonathan

Offline Cal

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 02:03:39 AM
Not a lot of riding this summer but I wanted to update this thread. The Ricor valves have transformed the front forks especially on bad wash board sections. The front feels very planted and absorbs the wash board sections very well!
Now that I am happy with the front it is show casing how bad the rear shock is! The bikes rear end wallows in high speed pavement curves and hops a fair amount on the gravel wash board sections, so I guess I now need to start looking at rear shocks.
Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 02:04:22 AM by Cal

victorious-backstage