Author Topic: Rallly Raid engine guard vibration  (Read 666 times)

Offline WestOkrider

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Rallly Raid engine guard vibration
on: August 03, 2020, 09:32:40 PM
I have a 2019 model with the engine guard/bash plate installed.  There have been some older posts referring to some vibration of the exhaust and filter shields but this is a definite and annoying vibration/noise at around the notorious 5000 rpm range coming from the engine guard itself.  The source of this is where the guard attaches at the rear.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Please, no comments about it being characteristic of the bike. The guard vibrates. Has any one else dealt with this?

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Re: Rallly Raid engine guard vibration
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 10:41:21 PM
*Originally Posted by WestOkrider [+]
I have a 2019 model with the engine guard/bash plate installed.  There have been some older posts referring to some vibration of the exhaust and filter shields but this is a definite and annoying vibration/noise at around the notorious 5000 rpm range coming from the engine guard itself.  The source of this is where the guard attaches at the rear.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Please, no comments about it being characteristic of the bike. The guard vibrates. Has any one else dealt with this?

Hi WestOkrider - have you been able to identify what it is that is making the noise? - presumably it's metallic - ie. something vibrating against something else at a certain RPM frequency...

The tubular pin which secures the rear of the guard through the tube in the rear of the frame is a snug fit, so as long as the M6 bolt and nut (which secures the flange of the pin to the engine guard bracket itself) is tight, I can only imagine you are getting some kind of vibration between the other end of that pin and the oval hole through the opposite side of the U bracket?

Have you tried putting your finger on that area to try and dampen the noise? - If it is there, I'd suggest putting a piece of duct-tape or similar around the end of the pin, as the gap is likely to be minimal, but enough that they vibrate together at a particular frequency at certain RPMs.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline WestOkrider

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 11:22:57 PM
Hi JMo. Yes, that's where its coming from.  I'll try some ideas and update on what works. Thanks for your reply.

Online Piscoot

• CB500X Newbie
  • Bike: CB500XA
Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 03:45:03 AM
*Originally Posted by WestOkrider [+]
Yes my 19 does the same thing and also feel it the rear attachment. I wrote about this on the CB500X owners Facebook page as well. I did isolate the majority of the from that area. Also I did have the oil filter guard slightly a skew and some of the vibration was coming from there. It does kinda of stink since at least for me 5000 rpm is about 65mph our legal limit. I did change to a 16 tooth sprocket and my rear tire is 150/70-17 which moved 5000 rpm almost where I can get comfortable around 67-68 mph. I was wondering if possible to make the pin into a bolt with a nut to attach more rigig. But I do love my RR Engine Guard!

victorious-backstage