Author Topic: Rate my Tool Kit  (Read 1075 times)

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Re: Rate my Tool Kit
Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 07:18:58 PM
*Originally Posted by Jamie Z [+]
Hi Jenny,

Thanks for the response. I gave a lot of thought to 1/4" vs 3/8" sockets and came to the conclusion that 3/8" is good for everything, 1/4" might not be up to the task for some of the higher torque nuts and bolts on the bike, so I went with all 3/8" drive.

Unfortunately, I do need the 15mm. I have a few aftermarket accessories (skid plate, engine guards, pannier racks, etc) and there are a couple of 15mm nuts and bolts.

I like your suggestion to lose the screwdriver handle altogether. A little back-story. That Snap On bit driver was given to me as a gift more than 25 years ago. I've carried it on every bike since then. But... it is rather bulky, and truth is, it's redundant here. I already have the bit holder and extensions. I might take your suggestion here and leave out the big screwdriver.

Hi Jamie - yes, if you look at my Motion Pro tyre levers, you'll see the 24mm size (Honda rear axle nut) has the 3/8" driver adaptor insert for use with any larger (17mm/19mm) sockets, but that the 1/4" driver handle (6" long) is fine for everything up to 14mm you'd get on these bikes, and stows more easily along with the rest of the tools in the pouch.

The 1/4" ratchet handle along with the 4" extension bar doubles as a T handle, and is also better at undoing tight screws (with a screwdriver bit), as you get more torque with the 90 ratchet handle that you can with a traditional screwdriver handle.

Jx

It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 08:07:19 PM
No Rally Raid axle tools in there Jenny  ?
You do have the all important bottle opener in there I see 🤭

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 08:13:45 PM
*Originally Posted by Oyley [+]
No Rally Raid axle tools in there Jenny  ?
You do have the all important bottle opener in there I see 🤭

Hi Oyley - no, they would essentially be doubling up on what I already carry...

If you look closely at the photo you'll see I do actually have the 17mm hex part of the RR front wheel spanner cut off (and stows inside my 17mm socket) for if/when I need to remove the front axle; but all the other sizes they include I have already with my other wrenches... plus I find the Motion pro T6 tyre levers more versatile as you get more leverage, can use them as a pry bar, and not least as a tyre spoon too of course.

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 08:17:57 PM
I did spot the hex drive, did not realise it was a cut down tool though, I figured how you make o e up with the Motion Pro Tyre levers though
That's a well thought out kit along with locations..are there any tubes hidden in the side areas.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 08:34:53 PM
*Originally Posted by Oyley [+]
I did spot the hex drive, did not realise it was a cut down tool though, I figured how you make o e up with the Motion Pro Tyre levers though
That's a well thought out kit along with locations..are there any tubes hidden in the side areas.

Yes, I carry a spare 18" (120 rear size) inner tube in a pouch inside the front left side of the fairing - there are a couple of suitable moulded lugs which you can use to attach a short bungee cord to secure the pouch - and that works as a get-you-home tube in either the 19" front or 17" rear wheels, although I would say that a 120 size tube is stretched very thin inside a 150 size rear tyre, which is another reason I prefer running a 140 width rear on my RR spoked wheels.

for info. I also now have a BARTubeless rear wheel on my bike, and would certainly recommend selection the tubeless option if you can afford the extra - it makes fixing a typical on-road puncture (a picked up nail etc.) with a Dynaplug (or similar) so easy in comparison to having to remove a wheel and fix/replace a tube.  Having fixed three of four rear flats on this bike over the years, I'm confident you'll feel the extra $200 is worth it the first time it happens, never mind the fourth or fifth time ;o)

Jx

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Master
Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 09:49:41 PM
Good timing for this thread for me as Im just starting to put a kit together. My Motion Pro levers are on their way as we speak!

One thing Id point out about the 1/4 vs 3/8 debate is that on my 2013 bike some of the original bolts had been torqued by the factory to probably double what Id do them to. I was sure a couple of them were going to snap my 3/8 drive as I undid them - and that was 12mm AF heads. I definitely wouldnt have been able to undo them with a 1/4 drive. So Id maybe go round and re torque any likely bolts if you are just carrying a 1/4 drive. Im sure Jenny has had virtually every bolt of her bike at some stage so will be fine!

So far Ive found the fasteners on my 2019 to be much easier to undo!

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
Reply #16 on: August 05, 2020, 09:59:34 PM
*Originally Posted by japes1275 [+]
Good timing for this thread for me as Im just starting to put a kit together. My Motion Pro levers are on their way as we speak!

One thing Id point out about the 1/4 vs 3/8 debate is that on my 2013 bike some of the original bolts had been torqued by the factory to probably double what Id do them to. I was sure a couple of them were going to snap my 3/8 drive as I undid them - and that was 12mm AF heads. I definitely wouldnt have been able to undo them with a 1/4 drive. So Id maybe go round and re torque any likely bolts if you are just carrying a 1/4 drive. Im sure Jenny has had virtually every bolt of her bike at some stage so will be fine!

So far Ive found the fasteners on my 2019 to be much easier to undo!

Yes, this is a fundamental good tip ^^^ - before any trip, always go through your bike with the tools you plan to carry, and make sure anything you might need to adjust is done up with those, so you can undo them again if required.

for info. most M6 or M8 threaded bolts with a head size less than 14mm don't need torquing to anything more than you can do with a 6" long 1/4" drive ratchet (a good quality one of course) - and don't forget blue thread-lock is your friend too...

However, for those bolts that might need a little more torque - typically axle nuts and any engine mounts/engine guard (although again, if you've used thread lock and torqued them correctly when assembling, you really shouldn't have to even touch those again during a trip itself), then the 3/8th drive adaptor insert for the Motion Pro T6 levers is invaluable - they offer around 10" of length which ought to be more than sufficient to tighten and loosen any axle nut for example, and the drive adaptor means larger sockets that might be required can also be used.

Jx

Offline crispenator

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2015 cb500x
Reply #17 on: August 07, 2020, 03:30:30 AM
Hi all i follow a guy on you tube who has a nc 750 and his wife has a cb 500x here in uas ,one  tool that he has in his kit i thought was a pretty good idea was a front axle removal spanner ,you could always carry a 17mm hex socket but for a cheap tool to carry i made one of these from an galv bolt and a peice of thin walled tubing which was fabricated into a handle and yes it works well .I had to file the bolt head down so it was an exact fit for the axle head but for a small amount of my time i thought it was a pretty good idea and if you lose it your not out 30+ dollars for a new hex socket i think it cost me about 1.50 for the bolt and had some scrap tube lying in the shed here are some photos

Online motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #18 on: August 07, 2020, 04:42:42 PM
Perfect example of if there is a will there is a way-I have seems bolts with vice grips- bolts doudble nuts  but never this
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline crispenator

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2015 cb500x
Reply #19 on: August 08, 2020, 01:45:41 AM
Hi motorboy when i saw this guy using it i thought what a great idea to carry can keep the expensive hex socket at home in the tool box and carry this on the bike cost nothing to make and does the job .

victorious-backstage