Author Topic: hard starting  (Read 789 times)

Offline crispenator

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 cb500x
hard starting
on: August 04, 2020, 11:37:56 AM
Hi all well as the title suggests just over the last few days i have found it is getting increasingly hard to get the 500 to start turning over ok but not firing up in a short space f time .I have changed the plugs not more than probably a month ago and im running 98 octain fuel ,battery is in new condition replaced around a month ago . I read a post not so long ago and someone mentioned that the injectors can become clogged just wondering if it might pay to run some cleaner through the machine see if it makes any difference ,it has been a bit cool in the morning and it does eventually fire up but this morning it took longer than normal to the point where taking the car was looking as an option ,the plugs are iridium so should be ok any suggestions .

Offline MacDoc

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2018 CB500x
Re: hard starting
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 11:55:55 AM
Useful to know the year and mileage of the bike.
Generally EFI bikes start instantly without touching the throttle.

Your shut down procedure has some play in this as well.
Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x 2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS  sold 09 Burgman Exec sold  10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold  
Travel photos>
https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 12:14:10 PM
These bikes don't need high octane fuel, but if the bike was OK before and the only thing you've changed is the plugs and the battery I'd look there first......  I guess a dose of injector cleaner wouldn't do any harm, especially if the bike has been laid up for a while.
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000 miles recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline crispenator

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 12:24:59 PM
Hi all macdoc its a 2015 and the mileage is under 6000km ,ajc500 yes it was laid up for what i believe may have been 2-3 years hence the change of everything oil ,coolant plugs ect when i got it , shut down procedure depends on how lazy i am sometimes i use the kill switch and sometimes i turn it of by the key i didnt think it would matter a great deal .

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 02:40:47 PM
I'm not sure it makes any difference how you stop the bike.  I'm sure plenty of people use the red kill switch.

I was told by a Suzuki dealer to always use the key, because the red switch is designed for emergency cut off only....... that's what he said anyway! 

As it happens I had never thought of using the kill switch, I always did use the key.... 

I think a tankful of new regular unleaded gas, adding some injector cleaner, and giving it a good blast around some fast roads would be a good place to start.  And an excuse for a fast ride-out.

One last silly story, my Dad was a mechanic with an old, very slow driving, customer who owned a big engined Jaguar.  Part of the regular service on that car when it was running rough was to take it out for a drive and really open it up!!  Worked every time :034:
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000 miles recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline HarrySeaward

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 11:17:03 AM
Hmm...I always use the kill switch. That's how I was taught by my MSF instructor years ago, and it just feels weird to shut down with the key. I also only use regular, 93 octane, gas.

crispenator, just based on the number of problems you post about with your bike, I suspect that either your motorcycle was stored for those 3 years at the bottom of a lake, or you're causing causing problems yourself by tinkering. Gotta be one of those things, because I've not seen anyone have the steady stream of problems you've encountered since acquiring your CB500X.

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 12:19:52 PM
Try the standard plugs, not the iridium.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 04:59:33 PM
I'd throw some fuel conditioner through it, change the oil, air filter (if you haven't done so already) and throw some top end lubricant (redex or similar) down the plug holes, turn the bike over with the kill switch in the off position, so it doesn't start, and leave it overnight. If a bike stands unused for a long time, aside from the oil and fuel being hygroscopic varnish can settle in the injectors and piston rings can become gummy (very unlikely, but it happens).

A compression test will tell you all you need to know. Poor earth connections (on the frame, and side stand) are also common culprits but these usually present as a 'no spark' situation, rather than sparking but not catching.
Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 05:04:30 PM by Jonathan

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 05:06:25 PM
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
........... Part of the regular service on that car when it was running rough was to take it out for a drive and really open it up!!  Worked every time :034:

also known as an Italian Tune up.... :008:

Offline crispenator

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 10:57:37 AM
Well had another tinker today harry seaweed  put around 125ml of injector cleaner through the bike today guess what ? the bike fires up after second rotation of the stater so to me that says the injectors may have been partially blocked , now harry lets get on to your post about me tinkering and causing problems ,firstly the bike i believe from the owners handbook has not been seen by a dealer or anyone for around 3 years in that 3 years it has travelled approx 3000km . I cannot see how my tinkering as you call it could be causing problems ,changing the oil and filter , changing the old discolored coolant ,changing out the stock air filter for a rechargable ,changing out the tired old plugs for new irridium plugs for better spark and less maintenance .Ill tell you something mate ive been biking since 1976 and i cant count the amount of bikes on both hands  without taking of my shoes and socks . I have built show bikes from wrecks that have  been displayed by dealerships along side there latest models and guess what i did it all myself only paintwork and seatwork was farmed out so dont refer to me as tinkering mr seaweed ,i can imagine you are one of these fellows who when your bike doesnt run you stand there with your hand on your hips looking at it call the aa and get it taken to a dealership to be fixed have a nice day harry.