Author Topic: Anyone tried Tyre Pressure monitoring with Garmin Zumo?  (Read 772 times)

Offline SilverCycle

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CB500X 17 Red
My other half has a Garmin Zumo (595 I think), and her 18 bike has stock wheels & tyres. She's thinking of getting the TPMS system. Couple of specific queries...

1. Are the stock valves suitable? They have to be "metal stems" : hers look a bit rubbery, but it might be metal underneath. Not sure if metal requirement is structural or earthing?

2. Will the quite big caps upset wheel balance? I guess less of an issue if the valves have to be changed anyway!

3. An aside, really, is the sensor range enough to also pair in my bike? I guess it'd only read another bike, at best, while parking together, but thats still useful.

Any other thoughts?

Offline Aggie95

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
Re: Anyone tried Tyre Pressure monitoring with Garmin Zumo?
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 04:16:57 PM
SilverCycle,

I also have the zumo 595 on my X.  I don't yet have the TPM sensors, but I have studied this quite a bit.  According to the Garmin zumo manual:

1) The sensors are intended to be mounted on metal tire valve stems only.  Rubber stems may fatigue and break.  And,

2) yes, the tires may have to be re-balanced because of the combined weight of the heavier valve stems and sensor.  But you would likely do this anyway because you removed the tire...

3) The sensor range is probably sufficient to pair with a "compatible" nearby Garmin device, but not once the sensors are paired with the first Garmin device.  The manual instructs one to insert the battery into the sensor with it near the Garmin device you want it paired with.  It doesn't say as much, but once paired with a device, it will not pair with another.

All that said, the reason I don't have the sensors yet is, there are several TPM systems on Amazon that will pair with your phone independent of Garmin, that are also cheaper than one sensor from Garmin!!

Also, Garmin has dropped TPM from their newer devices like the very popular zumo XT. 

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

Offline SilverCycle

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CB500X 17 Red
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 05:00:16 PM
 Cheers Aggie95,

1. Are you confirming that the stock X wheels have rubber valve stems? They do feel rubbery to me, but have a brass thread.

2.... Take the tyre (tire) off... You mean to replace the valve stems? Sure, it would need rebalancing then.

3. No, the opposite. I mean that if we buy Garmin TPMS for her bike, to pair with her Zumo, can we also put Garmin TPMS on my bike, and pair to her Zumo. Obviously it would be a rather intermittent signal, but it might be enough to work for daily checks.

Cheers

Offline Aggie95

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 03:50:10 PM
SilverCycle,

1) Yes the stock valve stems are rubber.  They are like most tire valve stems, they are a rubber body in which is molded a brass sleeve into which is screwed the valve core.  If the stem is metal, it will be held in place by a metal nut of some sort and the whole thing is metal; easy to identify.  The rubber stems are pulled though the rim from the inside and held in place by air pressure and a large head on the inside.

2)  To replace the valve stems with metal stems, you would need to break down at least one side of the tire, not necessarily both sides, but the additional mass would likely cause the assembly to be unbalanced.

3)  I'm not positive about this, but the zumo is a motorcycle GPS and as such each device will only pair with two unique sensors (each sensor has a unique address so you know which tire your are monitoring or alerting); you could pair one bike or the other, but not both at the same time.  There are lots of after market units for car/trucks that will pair with four sensors and maybe five for the spare.  And many pair with your smart phone.  That might work with your zumo.  If an alert is sent to your phone, it might be relayed through your zumo as any other message/call/music etc.

Of course most of this applies to only tubeless tires, not wire spoke wheels with tubes.  In that case, I suppose you might be able to find tubes with metal stems; don't know...

Hope this helps  :821:

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 04:03:31 PM
I chose not to go with the Garmin TOS fir two reasons
The price, far too high
The fact that it was being sold off everywhere as Garmin were ceasing  to sell it.
A pal got a  35gbp product and later in the day, after he had fitted it warned him of a loss in pressure on the front wheel just before he joined the motorway.
He initially just thought it was rubbish, until he checked..he had a puncture !
That was a year ago and it still works fine.

Offline Russ

• CB500X Newbie
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 05:15:18 PM
I've got a stand alone TPMS -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-TPMS-Tire-Tyres-Pressure-Temperature-Monitor-System-W-2Pcs-Sensors/223095241813
Had this for about 3 years now (was on my CRF250 Rally before fitting to my CB500X), works great, easy to fit and no problems. Now there are lots of similar monitors and much cheaper since I bought mine.

Offline John1411

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2016 in red
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 06:27:15 PM
I've got one of these: https://fit2gotpms.com/

No need for metal valve stems as long as you replace them each tyre change  :002:

Online oldtexan

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2018 CB500x ABS
Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 08:37:47 PM
I got one of these TPMS systems https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083P2CH1Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  I note that it is no longer available, but I can say that it has been working flawlessly for me for the last 8 months.  It measures within one pound of pressure compared to my tire pressure gauges.  All metal stems are a must.

victorious-backstage