Author Topic: My observations on Rally Raid Level 1 half kit install  (Read 3755 times)

Offline veriest1

• CB500X Member
Re: My observations on Rally Raid Level 1 half kit install
Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 01:52:04 AM
*Originally Posted by CaptCapsize [+]
Can someone comment on Level 2 related to top heaviness due to the added 2 inch lift?
Thanks!

Initially I noticed it (still on 17" wheels) but quickly forgot about it. It was more like the balance point changed a bit than anything. The Wee Strom never handled well off road imo so I'm pretty biased against it so I'd say the CB, even lifted, isn't as top heavy. But my Wee was a first gen and it went on down the road years ago. I'd guess the CB with RR lvl2 is somewhere in between a stock CB and a Strom in "top heaviness."

Offline CaptCapsize

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: WR450 DL650 500X
Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 04:37:25 AM
Veriest, Thanks I appreciate your advice.  Is still struggle with level 1 and level 2.  I have dropped both the CB and the Vstrom.  After picking up the Vstrom (in font of a Starbucks Doh!) I needed to see a chiropractor.   The CB, I dropped beside a county road, (kickstand sunk into soft dirt.  It was a top down lay of about 15 degrees.  Picked it up.  It was heavy but not a problem.  If I go level 2 I will not add spoked wheels.  I just don't think I would take is where they would be needed.  Because of that I am still leaning toward level 1.  I got to sell the Vstrom then decide.
"Everyone must believe in something.  I believe I'll have another beer" W.C. Fields

Offline veriest1

• CB500X Member
Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 09:47:58 AM
I recall reading one of JMo's threads over on ADV Rider and she was talking about her friends level 1 bike going everywhere her level 2 bike went except at a slower pace. If your pace is a bit slower anyway then level 1 would probably be good for you.

There was a level 1 kit for sale on here actually (no affiliation) from someone upgrading g to level 2.

Offline CaptCapsize

• CB500X Member
Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 03:37:36 PM
Thanks,  I have contacted the guy with the Level 1 kit, and will buy it if he doesn't find a local buyer first. 

The Level 1 kit should be good for me, because I am notorious for slow riding.  Sounds like a good fit.  I always get there, but usually in last place. 
JMo has some serious riding skill, which I don't!  Anyone who can do the Rubecon Trail on a CB500X, like she did, is amazing.
"Everyone must believe in something.  I believe I'll have another beer" W.C. Fields

Online JMo

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Reply #14 on: September 06, 2020, 09:45:05 PM
*Originally Posted by veriest1 [+]
I recall reading one of JMo's threads over on ADV Rider and she was talking about her friends level 1 bike going everywhere her level 2 bike went except at a slower pace. If your pace is a bit slower anyway then level 1 would probably be good for you.

There was a level 1 kit for sale on here actually (no affiliation) from someone upgrading g to level 2.

Yes, with less travel and ground clearance, you just have to pick your line a bit more carefully over rougher terrain - as you're likely to belly out the bike more often, and not have quite the bump/hazard impact absorption which might otherwise allow you to maintain momentum in those circumstances where that might be required, or at least preferred...

In that regard I would certainly recommend you also fit the cradle style engine guard from Rally-Raid if you plan to ride a LEVEL 1 bike more seriously off-road, as it's the only one which completely isolates the suspended engine from any impacts - which, as you might imagine, is a real show-stopper if you end up cracking your sump.

The only other thing to consider with a LEVEL 1 set up is that the 17" diameter front wheel (and proportionally wider tyre) does not offer quite the same directional control in soft/loose conditions; and is also more likely to be deflected from your chosen line in rougher terrain too - so again, riding with more prudence and being aware of the physical limitations of your particular set-up is going to be required.

I'd add that Tim Cooper (user UKJeeper on here) rode all over the USA, including the Trans-America Trail on his LEVEL 1 bike (the 17/17" wheel model) a couple of years ago, so it's perfectly capable of that kind of all-terrain journey should you wish.

His ride report is here: https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,7358.0.html

Hope that helps!

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline CaptCapsize

• CB500X Member
Reply #15 on: September 07, 2020, 05:19:49 AM
JMo, Thanks for the input. 
My plan is to use the Level 1 on a couple BDR's but I will bypass the hard parts.  I am sure with Level 1 the bike will be more capable than this rider.  At my skill level I will not be taking  a 400lb plus bike on anything too difficult... yet.   I have a WR450F for the gnarly stuff. 

Something I learned a few years ago, at WestFest is, it isn't the bike it, is the rider.  Guys on really big bikes helped me get my little WR through stuff they rode with apparent ease.

Suspension upgrades are usually the best investment in any bike.  Especially since I am big, heavy and prefer altitudes.  I do plan on adding the skid plate and a radiator guard.   The big problem with 17/17 is tire selection is limited.

I first heard of you on a Youtube where you rode the Rubicon Trail.   I thought you were crazy.  Turns out you have crazy skills.  I have been following your Tat and Back ride, love it!   Keep up the good work!

Offline Williamkevin

• CB500X Newbie
Reply #16 on: September 13, 2020, 02:34:31 AM
I bought a kit 2 years ago wheels and everything. Level 3 I think they called it. I am a older stocky guy 5í10 235. The kit made a huge difference for me, the suspension made the bike. It takes the bumps so much better. Yes much taller but still full control. I have fallen and crashed many times not the fault of the bike but I can definitely ride at a much quicker pace and in more comfort. The only thing I donít like is fixing flats and pulling the wheel. Those chain adjusters drive me nuts. Anyone know if the 2019 swingarm works on the older bikes? Much better setup

Offline CBRDEAN0

• CB500X Pro
Reply #17 on: September 13, 2020, 10:27:08 AM
*Originally Posted by Williamkevin [+]
The only thing I donít like is fixing flats and pulling the wheel. Those chain adjusters drive me nuts. Anyone know if the 2019 swingarm works on the older bikes? Much better setup

The frames are not identical - especially around the centre stand area ( RR offer different bash guards for the 2019 )

Even if the swing arm area is compatible - Not sure if it would be a straight swap because the linkage also changed on the 2019 model.
You might need to buy a new RR linkage to work with the 2019 swing arm.

Offline remurillo

• CB500X Newbie
Reply #18 on: September 13, 2020, 03:39:36 PM
I am on the verge between RR1 and RR2 levels. RR2 is my choice if I had not to give up my already installed jack and engine guard.
I have the following question on regards to the RR Tractive rear shock.
is the RR1 tractive rear shock and emulsion type shock. If it is emulsion I would disqualify this option as it tends to heat up much more than piston type shocks, therefore lasting less time.

My issue with RR2 is because I am in Colombia, need to import all items including RR Guard and give up the Jack.

My intention is to travel around Colombia unpaved roads and natural washed outs and obstacles. Where the RR2 upgrade would shine.

Offline Williamkevin

• CB500X Newbie
Reply #19 on: September 13, 2020, 04:29:59 PM
Not sure about the type of shock, all I can say is I have never had issue with it fading. Works flawlessly hours on end in some difficult terrain. I am heavy too you will not have to worry!