Author Topic: My observations on Rally Raid Level 1 half kit install  (Read 1505 times)

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Re: My observations on Rally Raid Level 1 half kit install
Reply #20 on: September 13, 2020, 05:54:05 PM
*Originally Posted by remurillo [+]
I am on the verge between RR1 and RR2 levels. RR2 is my choice if I had not to give up my already installed jack and engine guard.
I have the following question on regards to the RR Tractive rear shock.
is the RR1 tractive rear shock and emulsion type shock. If it is emulsion I would disqualify this option as it tends to heat up much more than piston type shocks, therefore lasting less time.

My issue with RR2 is because I am in Colombia, need to import all items including RR Guard and give up the Jack.

My intention is to travel around Colombia unpaved roads and natural washed outs and obstacles. Where the RR2 upgrade would shine.

Hi remurillo - As Williamkevin says above, the LEVEL 1 shock is more than adequate for general rough-road riding, your only real limitation is the more limited ground clearance over more serious hazards, so you'll just have to be more careful in those few instances and pick your line and speed accordingly.

That said, the LEVEL 2 suspension is a far better option if you do plan to ride a higher proportion of rougher terrain - the extra travel and ground clearance, plus the extra oil capacity of the reservoir shock will resist fading for longer - typically if you were riding a lot of washboard piste at high speeds for example. And you also have individual damping control for the shock which will help you dial-in the compression and rebound characteristics more precisely, depending on how much load you are carrying.

As for your current centre stand, that wouldn't fit with the longer travel LEVEL 2 suspension anyway, but a far better solution is something like the Endurostar Trail stand if you ever do need to lift a wheel [indeed either wheel, and those on someone else's bike too] for maintenance or puncture repair. No one with a dual-sport bike doing this sort of trip has a centre stand either, and they manage perfectly well.

If you do decide to stick with the LEVEL 1 standard travel/ground clearance, I do suggest you fit a strong engine guard as you are that more likely to hit the undercarriage from time to time of course.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 06:11:54 PM by JMo
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline remurillo

• CB500X Newbie
Reply #21 on: September 13, 2020, 06:48:21 PM
Thank you for prompter's reply. :002:
Please need further advise on RR1 rear  shock spring rate.Undecided between 110 or 120 kgNm spring for level RR1

I weight 85 kg with gear plus 15-25 luggage  when solo
I would travel with wife and 2 cases (Occasionally ) adding another 70 kg.

Currently my OEM rear shock preload is fully loaded at max. (level 5) and get around 40 mm rider SAG when solo. If a loose the rear preload to level 3 or less my rider SAG increases to 50-60 mm.

So I suspect my OEM rear shock spring is too soft. I understand the OEM spring is on avg. progressive 110 KgNM.

If I go for RR2 suspension option I probably should choose 120 Knm spring, but for the RR1 shorter undecided between the 110-120 KGNM options.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Reply #22 on: September 13, 2020, 09:05:24 PM
Please need further advise on RR1 rear  shock spring rate.Undecided between 110 or 120 kgNm spring for level RR1

Currently my OEM rear shock preload is fully loaded at max. (level 5) and get around 40 mm rider SAG when solo. If a loose the rear preload to level 3 or less my rider SAG increases to 50-60 mm.

So I suspect my OEM rear shock spring is too soft. I understand the OEM spring is on avg. progressive 110 KgNM.

If I go for RR2 suspension option I probably should choose 120 Knm spring, but for the RR1 shorter undecided between the 110-120 KGNM options.

Hi remurillo - this is one of the questions which comes up a lot, and again it's going to depend on your personal preference and ultimately the kind of riding you do MOST of the time...

A 110N/mm shock has approximately 10mm of preload adjustment (when can be achieved much more easily with the optional hydraulic preload adjuster of course), so that is going to allow for around 100Kg more weight between minimum and maximum setting - and so ought to be sufficient for your intended load of luggage and pillion.

Equally though, if you plan to ride two-up a lot, then the stiffer (120N/mm) spring is going to support that weight better, with more adjustment at the top end, to the detriment perhaps if you were riding completely solo, as it may feel a little stiff over rougher ground especially.

At the end of the day, all suspension [settings] is a compromise of sorts - particularly so on an 'adventure' bike where the terrain and load conditions can vary significantly, even during a single journey.

My suggestion would be if you mainly ride solo, got for the 110N/mm spring and set the base preload it so the sag is correct for you solo, and you can wind the preload up for when you have luggage and/or a passenger.

If you were prepping the bike specifically for a long distance trip with luggage and the two of you, then yes, the 120N/mm spring is likely to be preferable... and don't forget the alternative spring rates are also available from Rally-Raid should your overall riding circumstances change, and you can change the spring.

Jenny x

ps. if you do decide on the LEVEL 2 set-up after all, then I would probably still choose 110N/mm - as you want to be using all of that available extra travel, and have the bike sit more in the middle of the range for plushness... that is the spring rate I have on my bike, and have carried a passenger from time to time without bothering adjusting the preload.
Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 09:06:04 PM by JMo
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline manray

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500X
Reply #23 on: September 13, 2020, 09:06:27 PM

You need to decide which roads you will mainly ride on.  You need a softer spring (110 Nm) for traction if you ride loose trails and the harder spring (120 Nm) if you ride at higher speed on asphalt or hard surfaces.  I am about 80 Kg and when travelling carry about 20 to 25Kg of luggage and found the 110 Nm spring adequate with pre-load turned 65-80%.  Bikes suspension felt harsh (probably due to excessive pre-load of spring) compared when riding the bike solo (with no luggage and less pre-load).  With the 120 Nm spring carrying the same luggage with about 10% pre-load, the bike feels stable and correct.  However, riding the bike solo without luggage or pre-load, the suspension doesn't feel as plush as with the 110 Nm spring.  Since my Honda is my "travel bike with luggage", I prefer the 120 Nm spring.  Most of the roads I ride are asphalt and gravel so the loss in traction using a harder spring is irrelevant.  For carrying a passenger (70 kg), the 120 Nm spring is better.  When I carried a passenger (55 kg) using the 110 Nm spring, with pre-load set around 80% of maximum, the head light pointed towards the sky; the spring was at it's limit.  You will need to choose the best compromise since there is no "one" spring rate that works for everything.  This applies to both RR1 and RR2.
Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 09:18:20 PM by manray

Offline remurillo

• CB500X Newbie
Reply #24 on: September 13, 2020, 10:41:29 PM
Muchas gracias amigos :762: :763:

Offline Twempie

• CB500X Pro
Reply #25 on: September 13, 2020, 10:56:50 PM
Not having a centre-stand was a big influence in my decision to go with tubeless wheels. Punctures are easily fixed on a side stand.

Based on what I've read so far, I would spring (ha ha) for Level 2.

BTW, I have a rarely used Snapjack V2.
Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 10:58:18 PM by Twempie