Author Topic: Drying your X  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Swanny

• CB500X God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 20 500X & CB1300
Re: Drying your X
Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 07:11:00 PM
*Originally Posted by lojo [+]
I use an air compressor - if you don't have one use the exhaust from a shop-vac.
If you have neither get something!    :138:

I have a little 6lt compressor. It's rubbish :) I bought the pet drier and it's much more powerful, gives heat and it doesn't run out of air

I'm really impressed with it  :152:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline justinw

• CB500X Member
Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 08:09:58 PM
I've got exactly one of those. In fact, there's dozens of supposedly different makes, but all the same thing. It is brilliant for drying bike.

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #12 on: December 23, 2020, 01:12:38 AM
I bought a dedicated bike dryer ...I think they are just the same but cost more...I'm looking at getting a small compressor to get rid of some water first at they do take a while

Offline C-rider

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: '13 CB500XA
Reply #13 on: December 23, 2020, 09:24:15 PM
And with compressed air for drying as with power washers for washing, watch out not to force water/detergent into  places where it otherwise wouldn't go and could cause harm.
2013 CB500XA  Serial # ...18!

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #14 on: December 23, 2020, 10:52:10 PM
Depends on how careful one is and how much pressure one uses
Forty plus years of owning bikes and thirty plus bikes and I have been either careful or very lucky not to have replaced a part due to abuse with compressed air.
Common sense needed..but standing back with an air gun to blow water off to a degree that it's not much more of a blast than a run up the road at 70 mph then using a warm air blower to finish does not really need that much common sense..to most people anyway. 😉

Offline lojo

• CB500X Member
Reply #15 on: December 24, 2020, 04:09:29 AM
*Originally Posted by Oyley [+]
Depends on how careful one is and how much pressure one uses
Forty plus years of owning bikes and thirty plus bikes and I have been either careful or very lucky not to have replaced a part due to abuse with compressed air.
Common sense needed..but standing back with an air gun to blow water off to a degree that it's not much more of a blast than a run up the road at 70 mph then using a warm air blower to finish does not really need that much common sense..to most people anyway. 😉

Yes of course be careful... fifty plus years here, but then again I didn't have a compressor back then LOL
I'm sure a quick blast up the road would do a better job than my careful compressor job, BUT I would have to ride a bit on dirt therefore dirtying my bike. So, YMMV

Offline Bubbagazoo

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2018 CB500X
Reply #16 on: December 25, 2020, 09:11:53 PM
Personally, I'd rather ride it than rub it. I keep the windscreen and lights uber clean. The rest of the bike gets a load of attention prior to servicing. Then again, other than bugs, my bike doesn't really get very dirty.

As for the pet dryer and its "intended" purpose -- my dogs would not allow us to even get close to them.
Iíll think of something later

Offline Spadger2

• CB500X Member
Reply #17 on: December 26, 2020, 12:38:44 PM
I'm finding ATM I'm washing the bike every second or third ride such is the UK weather.
To dry it off I use a couple of old towels and a quick 2mile ride to blow dry it off then GT85* spray where needed.
A returning motorcyclist coming from a high mileage(7 to 9K mlies a year) cycling background I'm a bit AR about tyre care so I scrub the tyres clean and check for foreign bodies etc every wash.

*great stuff as a water displacer and dries off leaving a Teflon coating,it's also very clean to use with no oily residue.
Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 12:39:18 PM by Spadger2