Author Topic: Alternator connector filled with oil  (Read 616 times)

Offline mcsaba

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
Alternator connector filled with oil
on: September 16, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
Hello Riders,
I have been cleaning the electric connectors as I am having some starting issues, and when I got to the alternator connector to my surprise oil was dipping out of the alternator 3P (Gray) connector as I disconnected it. I have checked the connector for loose contacts or corroded terminals, all was nice and shiny. I have also measured the resistance between the Yellow wire terminals of the alternator side connector and as per the document (I hope they meant the connector side and not the one that is fixed to the regulator)
(STANDARD: 0.1-1.00 ohm (20C/68F). Check for continuity between each wire terminal of the alternator side 3P (Gray) connector and ground. There should be no continuity."
I have measured 0.2 ohm between the yellow wires and continuity between the wires and ground. So all good as per the doc.
Just wonder if anyone of you have seen oil inside this connector housing? Any explanation would be appreciated. BTW around the connector everything is dry and no sign of oil at all.
Thank you!!!

Offline mcsaba

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Re: Alternator connector filled with oil
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 04:43:31 PM
This is the connector I was referring to

Online Perfictsib

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2017 CB500x
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 07:13:21 PM
it is possible the oil is traveling inside the three yellow wires from the alternator as the wires do go inside the engine casing.
i have seen oil inside ecu connectors on injector harness on cars and it does cause running issues the only fix on the cars was a new injector harness,
 but this is a bike and its not going to the ecu,
on most bikes the alternator harness is part of the alternator as its soldered to the stator ring so not a cheap part,
 i dont know if the oil in your connector would cause your starting problem though unless the oil has gone inside the regulator and is causing a charging problem.
 i know you done a few electrical checks but a couple of daft questions have you checked the voltage going to your battery with the bike running and the battery voltage with the bike off, does your bike turn over slow when trying to start it, and have you tried charging the battery to see if that makes a difference

Offline mcsaba

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 09:10:34 PM
Wow, I never would have thought that the yellow wires go inside the engine casing.
It seems that I had multiple problems; the starter relay connector, side stand connector and the battery itself. Cleaned all connections and the inserted new battery that has just arrived today. Now the bike starts like a charm. The oil in the connector have not caused any problems so far, 19k km. Though unfortunately whenever I disconnect the connector, in last few days, I always see a little drop of oil there, so even when the bike is not running some oil gets there. Hope it will not cause any problems in the future...
Yes, I have measured the new battery 12.63V and when the bike is running it is ~14.12V and at the second of start it drops to 11V but really for just 1 sec. Do I need to get to 4-5k RPM to properly measure the running voltage? Old battery was 12.32 idle, dropped 9V at start (it was the original battery and my bike is 2014, 2013 model).
BTW my starter relay is in the recalled range 4A13 (13th Jan 2014), but the local Honda service said that there is no active recall for that. I might drop a mail to global.honda and try to get it replaced.
Thank you Perfictsib  :046:

Online Perfictsib

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2017 CB500x
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 12:33:23 AM
You shouldn't need to do a high rpm electrical test going by what you done and the fact it now starts. Glad you got it sorted.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 03:58:49 PM
*Originally Posted by mcsaba [+]
Hello Riders,
I have been cleaning the electric connectors as I am having some starting issues, and when I got to the alternator connector to my surprise oil was dipping out of the alternator 3P (Gray) connector as I disconnected it. I have checked the connector for loose contacts or corroded terminals, all was nice and shiny. I have also measured the resistance between the Yellow wire terminals of the alternator side connector and as per the document (I hope they meant the connector side and not the one that is fixed to the regulator)
(STANDARD: 0.1-1.00 ohm (20C/68F). Check for continuity between each wire terminal of the alternator side 3P (Gray) connector and ground. There should be no continuity."
I have measured 0.2 ohm between the yellow wires and continuity between the wires and ground. So all good as per the doc.
Just wonder if anyone of you have seen oil inside this connector housing? Any explanation would be appreciated. BTW around the connector everything is dry and no sign of oil at all.
Thank you!!!
I'm going to say it might be dielectric grease that has broken down or an electrical spray-both good if you live in  salty air--also when measuring such a small ohm reading that you short the meter leads and subtract that reading to get a true reading--oil going up the inside of the wires that is something I would have to see to believe
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline BikerBill

• CB500X Member
  • Returning Biker after 15+yrs
  • Bike: CB500XA
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 09:21:35 AM
Hmmm,
Just getting access to my shock, removed regulator, found the exact same issue, oil inside grey connector.

Ive never had any starting issues, 35000 miles or worry free riding so far, but concerned about this.

So, should I worry or just add cleaning regulator to my home service regime?

If it aint broken, it will break, best learn how to fix it!
Puch 50 (82-83), DR250 (85-87), CB100 (91),  Diversion 900 (91-95)

victorious-backstage