Author Topic: Arrow slip on to header ??  (Read 790 times)

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Master
Re: Arrow slip on to header ??
Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 08:58:12 PM
Itís always going to be tricky matching a silencer to the downpipes with a generic link pipe. Probably an instance when it might cost you in time, effort and possibly final outcome. Iím guessing there wonít be many people that have had to do what you want to do so maybe difficult to get definitive answer. It will be finding the right bend angles rather than the end diameters that will be the problem.

Putting the ongoing argument to one side for a moment, Iíd say you might be better stumping up the $100 and still be happy youíve got a quality system for $160.

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 09:28:25 PM
Give over man, you have me in tears here
🤣🤣🤣 of laughter.
I dont think he needs a spokesman.

Offline Wedgetail

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2019 CB500XA
Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 05:01:22 AM
*Originally Posted by spooky [+]
   that sounds like a sales pitch... Yea, I could contact my local distributor (probably 3 hours from my house )   or I could join a forum where people help each other out ,,, maybe with bits of info that they have picked up along the way. No one wants to pay local distributer prices expecially if there's a aftermarket piece hiding on the WWW.  Thanks for the reply! I'll keep that in mind.

I agree with your comment about the useful purpose this forum can (and does) serve. It's helpful to give as much info as possible, so that respondents are on the right track.

I still think the Arrow midpipe is your best solution and would be surprised if you could have something made cheaper. Now that you've given us some basic info., I see that a Google search for "mid pipe CB500X" turns up (on ebay and aliexpress) a couple of no-brands that make no mention of Arrow. One of the sites does however clearly illustrate the dimensions of the item. I'll leave it to you to compare those measurements against your muffler and pipe. 
Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 05:02:03 AM by Wedgetail

Offline spooky

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 12:37:50 PM
I have reached out to the " local " distributor and he is going to get back with me. I measure the inlets and outlets  and gave measurements to a friend that works at Harley, , who knows, might get lucky. Gonna try to go to muffler shops today , but the offset bends on that connection is so tight that I'm not sure their machine will do it.  I just recently moved and my shops not built yet. All of my tools are filling up a 20' enclosed trailer.  Shop should be ready in about 3 weeks so I may just wait till then so I can get my welders set up and the tube bender mounted to the floor .  I'll just build one myself even thoughI don't have the time at the moment well because I have a baby going to be here in about 3 weeks... It sucks to pay $100 or more for something I could make for less than $10 but giving the circumstances that may be what I have to do

Offline spooky

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 12:50:49 PM
*Originally Posted by japes1275 [+]
Itís always going to be tricky matching a silencer to the downpipes with a generic link pipe. Probably an instance when it might cost you in time, effort and possibly final outcome. Iím guessing there wonít be many people that have had to do what you want to do so maybe difficult to get definitive answer. It will be finding the right bend angles rather than the end diameters that will be the problem.

Putting the ongoing argument to one side for a moment, Iíd say you might be better stumping up the $100 and still be happy youíve got a quality system for $160.
  good point. Given my current situation that's probably the route I will have to take. Thanks for the reply

Offline spooky

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #15 on: September 24, 2020, 02:17:12 PM
*Originally Posted by Wedgetail [+]
I agree with your comment about the useful purpose this forum can (and does) serve. It's helpful to give as much info as possible, so that respondents are on the right track.

I still think the Arrow midpipe is your best solution and would be surprised if you could have something made cheaper. Now that you've given us some basic info., I see that a Google search for "mid pipe CB500X" turns up (on ebay and aliexpress) a couple of no-brands that make no mention of Arrow. One of the sites does however clearly illustrate the dimensions of the item. I'll leave it to you to compare those measurements against your muffler and pipe.
  I have seen those. The measurements are right but the offset bends would probably be a crapshoot. Thanks for the leads and the reply

Offline 762x54

• CB500X Member
Reply #16 on: September 24, 2020, 03:51:49 PM
  I have seen those. The measurements are right but the offset bends would probably be a crapshoot. Thanks for the leads and the reply

If it didn't work it would cost more to ship it back than you paid for it!!

Offline spooky

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #17 on: September 24, 2020, 07:10:35 PM
OK, the arrow mid pipe will work ($109) unfortunately they are on back order with no certainty when they will be made again... So here is where I am... amazon has this (for better or worse) but it says 2013-2015 models..   Does anyone know if the exhaust pipe sizes are the same between the 2015 and 2018? 
 On the arrow web sight the junction inlet is 43mm and the outlet is 50 mm. 
   so do yall think this might fit?  thanks.
  https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Exhaust-Connect-CBR500R-CBR400R/dp/B0831M4V1G/ref=pd_di_sccai_5/133-3184069-6035540?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0831M4V1G&pd_rd_r=73a31ede-7a45-4949-926a-60d20ee1cd49&pd_rd_w=jZw84&pd_rd_wg=3cC31&pf_rd_p=5415687b-2c9d-46da-88a4-bbcfe8e07f3c&pf_rd_r=PA7VRFS715SSJQ67Q9PZ&psc=1&refRID=PA7VRFS715SSJQ67Q9PZ

Offline BenjaminCB

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: PC64
Reply #18 on: September 24, 2020, 08:33:50 PM
Well if you want something that will make an arrow can fit nicely onto stock headers, get the arrow one..
If you want it as cheap as possible buy a crappy chinese link pipe and make it fit with a combination of hammering, hope and guesswork.
It's quite the specific question you ask, to which only an arrow link pipe is the proven answer. Al the rest will just have to be hope and guesswork, or some skilled fabrication i'm afraid.

Online Oyabun

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
Reply #19 on: September 24, 2020, 08:47:10 PM
OK, the arrow mid pipe will work ($109) unfortunately they are on back order with no certainty when they will be made again... So here is where I am... amazon has this (for better or worse) but it says 2013-2015 models..   Does anyone know if the exhaust pipe sizes are the same between the 2015 and 2018? 
 On the arrow web sight the junction inlet is 43mm and the outlet is 50 mm. 
   so do yall think this might fit?  thanks.
  https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Exhaust-Connect-CBR500R-CBR400R/dp/B0831M4V1G/

The shape of the exhaust and the exhaust hanger has changed in 2016. Probably that is the issue.
Have you checked if arrow is listing the same midpipes throught the years?