Author Topic: Painting/wrapping panels + gold wheels?  (Read 1011 times)

Offline max-500

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Painting/wrapping panels + gold wheels?
on: September 24, 2020, 10:48:04 AM
Hi all - I'm hoping to purchase a 2021 model and I'm wondering if anyone has wrapped or painted parts of the 2019 onwards CB500X?

And in particular if the silver parts (arrowed red) can be removed from the main panels?  I've watched many YT videos of the main panels being removed but cannot see if the silver parts are plastic welded or similar?

I prefer the shape of the pre '19 500x where the panels look more integrated but would be buying the later model of course.  I'd really like silver parts these to be black or white and would prefer wrapping for ease of reversal but it might be rather tricky given the intricate shapes of the edges.

And are the yellow flashes arrowed yellow (red on 2021?) under clear coat?

Lastly anyone painted the cast wheels as per video screenshots from YT of this pre '19?  Really gives it the Halfrica Twin look IMHO.   :002:

Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 10:49:00 AM by max-500

Offline adman

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB 500X PC64
Re: Painting/wrapping panels + gold wheels?
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 03:07:13 PM
The side panel of the 2019 model and later consists of several small individual parts that are screwed and plugged together from the inside.
With a good special foil you can also stick on different paneling parts. You only need a few tools and a hair dryer.
Check out my remodeling thread and you'll see a lot of interesting things.
A straight line is only the shortest connection between two curves ...

Offline 762x54

• CB500X Member
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 04:01:33 PM
I've had good luck with Plasti Dip spray, if there is a color you like. When you get tired of it just peel it off.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/collections/original-solid-aerosols

Offline max-500

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 04:43:53 PM
*Originally Posted by adman [+]
The side panel of the 2019 model and later consists of several small individual parts that are screwed and plugged together from the inside.
With a good special foil you can also stick on different paneling parts. You only need a few tools and a hair dryer.
Check out my remodeling thread and you'll see a lot of interesting things.

Thanks - I was reading that yesterday.   :002:

So, the 'silver' pieces are removable from inside?

Did you find it OK to wrap around the front piece where it goes in/out/in/out if you know what I mean.

Offline max-500

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 05:58:52 PM
Just did some *very* basic playing with trying to visualise colours  - this is not my line of work.   :001:

I do prefer the simpler older 500x but comparing it to the 2021 with factory finish then black panels then white and finally half and half...?

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Master
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 06:10:07 PM
I think that proves Honda know what they are doing!

Max, just had a look at my ‘19 and the ‘flashes’ you describe are removable. In fact all the graphics (decals) on the plastic fairings are not clearcoated. The graphics on the tank ARE though.

Offline max-500

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 06:43:38 PM
*Originally Posted by japes1275 [+]
I think that proves Honda know what they are doing!

Max, just had a look at my ‘19 and the ‘flashes’ you describe are removable. In fact all the graphics (decals) on the plastic fairings are not clearcoated. The graphics on the tank ARE though.

Thanks - good to know.  Yes, I expected some to say leave well alone  :001: looks are always subjective of course but I just dislike silver plastic...

:038:

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Master
Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 06:51:32 PM
Yes, I must admit when I first saw mine I thought the silver needed to be darker, more like a graphite grey. But a year on and I’ve got used to it and quite like it now.

I think if I were to do anything I’d try a darker silver first.

Offline Swanny

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 20 500X & CB1300
Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 07:48:45 PM
I have a wrap question  :002:

I'm thinking of wrapping my front fairings but don't want to remove the decals. If I wrap on top of the decals will they come off when I take off the wrap in the future?

:187:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline max-500

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 08:38:26 PM
It’s important to peel it off the right way (a bit like masking tape when painting), heat gently and peel it back on itself so you’re pulling along not up.  As long as the edge doesn’t come up you should be in the clear.

victorious-backstage