Author Topic: Spare light bulbs - 2019/20 models  (Read 311 times)

Offline Sloth

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Lazy old git
  • Bike: CB500X
Spare light bulbs - 2019/20 models
on: September 26, 2020, 09:00:13 PM
Last time I checked it was a requirement to carry light bulbs in France. But my understanding with regard to later model X's are that they are LED and not changeable. Is it really the case that it would be necessary to change the whole light assembly? Or is it possible to carry spares for head, indicator and brake stop?

To tour from UK you would most likely cross into France first. Satisfy their sometimes weird demands (alcometers!) and other countrys should be covered also. But I doubt Les Flic have ever demanded to see these. But if you piss them off they might

I regret having to ask about all this as I have trawled lots of threads to find info - but it mostly seems to be from pre 2019 models. I hope I have it wrong about the headlight as I would have expected to uprate to a Nightbreaker bulb. I will carry spares for the other bulbs if possible. But perhaps this is neither possible or needed

And the Haynes manual is nigh on useless on later models. With regards to headlight bulbs it refers to 2013-15 models (CB500X AND XA), and then nothing from there on. I begin to feel ripped off for having to buy it, with nothing else available. But we are not allowed to know about 'copies' of unobtainable workshop manuals, so screwed both ways
Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 09:58:47 PM by Sloth
BSA Starfire, Honda NT650V, NT700V

Online JMo

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Re: Spare light bulbs - 2019/20 models
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 09:55:00 PM
*Originally Posted by Sloth [+]
Last time I checked it was a requirement to carry light bulbs in France. But my understanding with regard to later model X's are that they are LED and not changeable. Is it really the case that it would be necessary to change the whole light assembly? Or is it possible to carry spares for head, indicator and brake stop?

To tour from UK you would most likely cross into France first. Satisfy their sometimes weird demands (alcometers!) and other countrys should be covered also. But I doubt Les Flic have ever demanded to see these. But if you piss them off they might

I regret having to ask about all this as I have trawled lots of threads to find info - but it mostly seems to be from pre 2019 models. I hope I have it wrong about the headlight as I would have expected to uprate to a Nightbreaker bulb. I will carry spares for the other bulbs if possible. But perhaps this is neither possible or needed

I wouldn't worry about it Sloth... the requirement to carry spare bulbs is so that your can replace one should it blow... but since all the lights are on the 2019-on model CB500X are LED, that's not going to happen.

If you were stopped for any reason by the French Police and actually asked if you were carry spare bulbs, you can explain that all the lamps are sealed unit LED.

I'd be surprised if they even asked to be honest.

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline focus frenzy

• CB500X Newbie
  • Bike: 2019
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 03:23:54 AM
ummm the 19/20's are not exactly all LED, mine is now, but there is one light bulb left on them that Honda conveniently ignored for advertising reasons.

the number plate light, or license plate light as we call it here. my 19 came with a interesting assembly error, it had the bracket to stand the plate upright for USA regulations but it was missing the extension for the plate light and rear reflector so it lite up the back side of the license plate. brand new and was not legal to be on the road.

Offline max-500

• CB500X Member
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 10:11:34 AM
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]

If you were stopped for any reason by the French Police and actually asked if you were carry spare bulbs, you can explain that all the lamps are sealed unit LED.

I'd be surprised if they even asked to be honest.

Jx

Sorry to take a slightly more pessimistic view but the French love to target us Brit motorists and this had been widely reported increasingly in recent (ie Brexit) times.

General consensus is to just take any old generic bulb kit like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-30-PCS-EMERGENCY-CAR-SPARE-BULB-FUSE-REPLACEMENT-KIT-SET-H4-H7-E/142406875007?hash=item21281c777f:g:P1kAAOSwPCVX7Vk5

And this will satisfy them I'm sure - they are not likely to start querying - "...Oui, mais avez vous lex LED Monsieur??"

The kits are pretty handy anyway to have around if you run various cars.   :028:

Offline Swanny

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 20 500X & CB1300
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 11:28:49 AM
I used to have a girlfriend who lived in France. I used to go over to see her in my van, I had Scottish flags on the number plates because they don't like us English pig dogs  :008:

Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Master
Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 02:46:46 PM
Surely this applies to many cars as well? I don't think any of the rear lights on my car have bulbs, they are LED and you just have to replace the whole unit. Another backward step in my opinion.

My friends Audi needs the front bumper removing to change the headlight bulb, hardly a roadside job!

Offline max-500

• CB500X Member
Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 03:09:15 PM
*Originally Posted by japes1275 [+]
Surely this applies to many cars as well?

:028:

Yep, just carry a basic kit and show willing to keep 'em heureux.

victorious-backstage