Author Topic: I Had No Choice-Couldn’t Ride It  (Read 432 times)

Offline Helix

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
I Had No Choice-Couldn’t Ride It
on: September 27, 2020, 03:08:28 AM
Well, this is the first time I bought a bike I couldn’t ride home.  The 2020 CB500X was just too tall, but luckily a friend hauled it and me home.  I knew I wanted the bike and also knew it would have to be lowered. So, I had ordered adjustable lowering links and an adjustable center-stand from T-Rex Racing in Dallas the day I picked up the bike. I decided to lower the bike 1-1/2” so if you go to another position you’ll need to make adjustments to my comments. Here’s the way I went about the installation:

1.  Since you are going to be lowering the bike (raising the wheel) you need to get some slack in the chain. Loosen the axle- 27mm nut and 19mm bolt head. Loosen the adjusters and move the axle forward. (I stick a hammer handle between the sprocket and lower run of the chain and spin the wheel forward) Better to do this now than when the bike is in the air.

2.  Install the center-stand. Grease the long pin and secure it in place. If you’ve never installed a center or side stand, getting the spring on is always a frustration. You can sometimes use a screwdriver but it helps greatly to have a spring puller . You really don’t use it to pull, but do use it to lever the hook into place. Since this is an adjustable center-stand you want to have the legs long enough to just get the rear wheel off the floor to unweight the shock.

On the T-Rex adjustable stand start, with two holes showing below the top tube. Leave the nuts loose. (After lowering 1-1/2” you’ll change it to 1 hole showing.) Now put the bike on the center-stand. If the wheel is off the floor loosen the nuts on the two bolts of the shock link.

3. The adjustable link has 5 holes that allow you to select how much drop you want. I wanted to lower the bike 1-1/2” so I turned the links in the proper direction for this drop and removed the top bolt and installed the links.  I then raised the swing arm with a small screw jack checking to see when I could install the bolt in the proper hole. At some point I realized I should put a screw jack on the other side of the swing arm since the bike was starting to lean. After the bike was elevated enough to engage the 1-1/2” hole in the link I installed the bolt and lowered the swing arm and tightened the nuts on the bolts.

4. Rock the bike off the center-stand and onto the side stand. The stock side stand will work fine with the 1-1/2” drop. Change the length of the center stand legs to only one hole showing.

5. Adjust the chain slack. Warning- don’t do it with the bike on the center stand. It will be too tight.  With the bike on the side stand, create more slack as above or remove slack taking care to keep the axle even on both sides. I use a Motion Pro Chain Alignment Tool and it seems the easiest way to do this. Start with too much slack and slowly tighten it up keeping things in line.

I hope this helps anyone who wants this type of bike but finds it just too tall. It certainly satisfies my need for a light weight bike with good handling and comfort.

Offline STOKIE

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2020 CB500X
Re: I Had No Choice-Couldn’t Ride It
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 09:22:37 AM
Great pictures,good explanation.  :762:

Offline DandyDoug

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2020 CB500X
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 05:22:59 PM
Great job explaining the whole thing so clearly.

I have a similar lowering link on mine, but I had my dealer do the install. Mine is dropped to the 2.5 " level , and believe me it's a bear to get up on the OEM center stand.
The dealer also installed an adjustable  side stand , but it's too low. So I bought an OEM stand and had a local guy shorten it about 3/8" . now the bike sits great on the side stand. I have the original OEM stand and will pass it along to the next owner.

I looked around for the adjustable center stand like yours, but could not get and accurate answer to my questions about it .  So for now my center stand is at the stock height. I place a piece of 3/4" plywood under the rear wheel when I need to deploy the center stand.

Did you lower the front end by sliding the forks up ?
I have not yet and am not sure I need to, since I can now stand more securely at stops and the bike steers well.
Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 05:23:46 PM by DandyDoug
Faster,faster,faster , until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Offline Helix

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 06:20:16 PM
With the 1-1/2" lowering there was no need to drop the forks. Steering is plenty quick.