Author Topic: Paint flaked/peeled adjacent to fuel filler - need a paint code  (Read 858 times)

Offline Flashp

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Have a look at this, it's 2019 model bike.
It's had no impact damaged in my ownership (I bought new off the showroom floor) although there feels to be a very shallow depression around the formed edge of the filler, it's easy to feel but harder to see. I wondered if the tank has been damaged prior to painting as it looks like something happened there but there are no witness marks in the parts etc.

Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 10:35:29 PM by Flashp

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Re: Paint flaked/peeled adjacent to fuel filler - need a paint code
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 08:23:58 AM
Any warranty cover? 

Might be worth asking as that looks unusual, and I can't think of anyone on the forum having paintwork troubles like that.......
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000 miles recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 03:09:56 PM
Yes- you should let your dealer make a warranty claim to Honda -if it is turned down they can supply you with the right color code -reason I say might be turned down is every country has a little different warrant process-in the USA I would give it about a 80% no warranty because most cosmetic paint is not covered
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Flashp

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 07:04:31 PM
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
Any warranty cover? 

Might be worth asking as that looks unusual, and I can't think of anyone on the forum having paintwork troubles like that.......
Yes, I got mail off to the dealer this evening so I'll see how that goes. I'll update here as and when, thanks to all for the replies.  :821:

Offline Flashp

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Warranty claim submitted by dealer to Honda. They also requested some photo's showing general condition of the bike.
Wait and see now  :164:

Offline 471x

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2020 CB500x abs
The metal underneath appears to have been scratched or gouged with something.
If that is the case they won't cover it.

Offline Flashp

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
*Originally Posted by 471x [+]
The metal underneath appears to have been scratched or gouged with something.
If that is the case they won't cover it.
I thought perhaps the metal was damaged/repaired or not prepped properly prior to paint, it's down in the gap between filler and tank - a very awkward and small space to be damaged. All I can be sure of is that it didn't happen in my ownership and I bought it new. Hopefully it'll go through ok.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Looks like a rust blister to me - bad preparation or rust on steel before painting, get into them!!   :001:
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000 miles recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline 471x

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2020 CB500x abs
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
Looks like a rust blister to me - bad preparation or rust on steel before painting, get into them!!   :001:

Yeah it could be. Hard to tell from the photo. I thought I say some really shiny metal that looked like a gouge.

Offline Flashp

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
I have an update on this - a warranty replacement tank has been authorised, so good news  :152:

victorious-backstage