Author Topic: Barkbuster Storm Hardware Replacements  (Read 490 times)

Offline Twempie

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Barkbuster Storm Hardware Replacements
on: October 11, 2020, 01:36:38 AM
After a low speed tip-over, with Barkbuster Storms installed on OEM 7/8 bars, the bolts on the handlebar clamp got damaged (a little bent). These were easily replaced, but the expansion sleeve was twisted as well.

I'm trying to track down the correctly sized replacement sleeve kit. I think the Barkbuster part number I need is B-027, but can't be sure from the many descriptions out there. Anyone know if this is correct?

I contacted Barkbuster and Twisted throttle a couple of days ago with this question, but no response (I know, I know... Covid staffing shortages).

Offline crispenator

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2015 cb500x
Re: Barkbuster Storm Hardware Replacements
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 03:22:44 AM
When i fitted mine the previous owner had fitted aftermarket bars and i put up a post "i know what m talking about" on the forum . I think if you have the original bars the product number should be correct but if you have aftermarket they will probably be smaller in diameter ,i think if you get the sleeve and measure it they should give the diameter on there website you can order what ever size you need from them they do a range of sizes .

Offline STOKIE

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2020 CB500X
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 09:52:42 AM
B-026 are the one's I got, there's some on UK Ebay, don't know about your side.  :027:

Offline Twempie

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 02:44:24 PM
*Originally Posted by STOKIE [+]
B-026 are the one's I got, there's some on UK Ebay, don't know about your side.  :027:
Thanks, much appreciated.

Offline Twempie

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 06:01:41 PM
From Barkbusters (and to purchase from Twisted Throttle):

Unfortunately the expander from the BHG-055 kit is different to all of the bar end insert kits. Therefore you will need to order x2 of them in as replacement parts. The order code is R-BBE17.

I hope this helps anyone that has bent their expander...

Offline Twempie

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 04:22:00 AM
This turned into more than just a few bent bolts, and ended up being longer to fix.

The reason the bike tipped over is I misjudged a line on a rough forest steep uphill road about 3,000 ft. in elevation, sharp drop-off to the left - so sticking to the right cuz heights give me the willys, and a tyre track size deep rain-gully to the right as well, but with a better line in the middle that I didn't take. I took the gully, hoping to bounce out of it, I quickly knew it was a bad choice but I'd done this before... sh#t... and momentum was stopped dead, and in a conundrum. So over she went at zero mph. Letting it go is cheaper than back surgery.

The bike tipped further than 90° to the right at zero mph into the dirt and rock, and both my riding partners helped wake the bike up from its nap. The Barkbusters did their job, but I spent the remainder of the day manually helping to close the throttle. Something that could be fixed at home.

At first inspection back in my three season garage, two bolts from the handlebar clamp were bent, as was expander part BBE-17 and replaced. When I pulled everything apart, I discovered the long bolt that holds the Barkbusters was slightly bent as well (but still usable - I'm from Northumberland and a bit of a cheap bastard), but the biggest discovery was the backbone had bent as well. I had to bend it back into shape as best I could (it took quite a bit of effort, for this old git, to get it close to what it was supposed to be). Both Barkbusters are back to working order now.

I reckon if the bike goes down on the right side again, I'll replace the backbone, it resists being bent back into shape quite strongly. But until that day, we're back on the trail.

In case anyone needs one of these as a spare, order now. I could find only one in the whole of the USA. from Twisted Throttle. I have a spare on order from Oz.

Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 04:22:39 AM by Twempie

Offline Martin

• CB500X Member
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 08:42:33 AM
Glad you were OK - sounds precarious. I wonder if you were unlucky in how the bike fell on the Barkbusters. From reading other people’s reports they’ve abused/used them more than that without having to replace bent parts. I would have thought they could withstand more abuse.

Offline Twempie

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 03:53:40 PM
*Originally Posted by Martin [+]
Glad you were OK - sounds precarious. I wonder if you were unlucky in how the bike fell on the Barkbusters. From reading other people’s reports they’ve abused/used them more than that without having to replace bent parts. I would have thought they could withstand more abuse.
I think it was probably just bad luck, the bike landing at the wrong angle, messing everything up.

victorious-backstage