Author Topic: 🛑🛑🛑starting problem  (Read 1149 times)

Offline ktcb500xoc

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Burmese Ryder
  • Bike: cb500x 2013
🛑🛑🛑starting problem
on: October 20, 2020, 04:07:52 AM
hello everyone,
I've been riding cb500x for a while now, and never gave me a problem.  but lately I've been riding in the rain because its the monsoon season here. so yesterday I started the beloved motorcycle and it started just fine as always except there was slight hiss in the beginning and disappeared about after 5 seconds. so I left it as that and went to nearby store and stopped in front for a while. came back and start it and no luck. checked all the usual spots such as battery terminals, fuses, and wires. the unusual thing is with the key on, and engine stop switch off the display shows up just fine. but when the engine stop switch is turn on to start the engine as the usual, there are clicks sounding repeatedly and it seems that the display is not getting the full power right away. but it does after about 10-15 seconds. so I start the engine thinking it would be okay now, but there was just a single “click ” and completely dead. what could be the issue here? I uploaded the footage on YouTube and the following is the link. please check out and give me your opinions guys, I would really appreciate it.

dream bike cb500x

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Re: 🛑🛑🛑starting problem
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 08:14:56 AM
I wish I could help you, but electrics - yikes!   :005:

Is it worth checking the red cut-off switch first?  In the past I've been told (by a Suzuki dealer) to use the key, not the cut-off switch, for stopping the engine, and that it is only for emergency cut-off.  Maybe if you use this switch regularly there is a bit of wear in the contacts?

Hopefully someone will be on soon with a more technical approach!!
The Story So Far.........
2017-2020: 15044 miles recreational use - 89.74mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline ktcb500xoc

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Burmese Ryder
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 08:40:07 AM
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
I wish I could help you, but electrics - yikes!   :005:

Is it worth checking the red cut-off switch first?  In the past I've been told (by a Suzuki dealer) to use the key, not the cut-off switch, for stopping the engine, and that it is only for emergency cut-off.  Maybe if you use this switch regularly there is a bit of wear in the contacts?

Hopefully someone will be on soon with a more technical approach!!

yeah I absolutely loath working on electronic stuff... believe it or not... this is the only occasion I have use the cut off switch. I have never use that switch for any of my motorcycle except one occasion on my r6 when the throttle was stuck on full  throttle, so I used the switch to cut off the engine using that switch. it appears that there was oil went into the rectifier/regulator harness I just checked it about an hour ago... unplugging and plugging all the connections... taking a break now but I have to troubleshoot whether the rectifier needs to be replaced or the stator... finger crossed its the rectifier 🤣
dream bike cb500x

Offline STOKIE

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2020 CB500X
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 09:59:08 AM
Charge your battery,and it will start then get a multimeter and check your charge rate not hard to do,if your charge rate is ok 13.5 to14.5 volts then you know your battery is shot, if not then you can start investigating further,stator, rectifier, starter motor. Always go for the easy stuff first. :027:

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 10:16:40 AM
I bet the problem is the battery. I would try to charge it as Stokie suggests or put new well charged battery and give a try.

Regards,

Timur

Offline ktcb500xoc

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Burmese Ryder
Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 03:07:28 PM
*Originally Posted by STOKIE [+]
Charge your battery,and it will start then get a multimeter and check your charge rate not hard to do,if your charge rate is ok 13.5 to14.5 volts then you know your battery is shot, if not then you can start investigating further,stator, rectifier, starter motor. Always go for the easy stuff first. :027:
*Originally Posted by timur [+]
I bet the problem is the battery. I would try to charge it as Stokie suggests or put new well charged battery and give a try.

Regards,

Timur

ok guys... will do right now but it read the voltage at 12.7- 12.65 earlier... I will charge it about 5 hrs and see what it will do.
Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 03:08:01 PM by ktcb500xoc
dream bike cb500x

Offline 762x54

• CB500X Member
Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 06:24:22 PM
You will need to check the voltage with the engine running at 4000-5000 rpm to determine the charging voltage. At
idle the generator will only produce enough current to keep the bike running.

Offline Swanny

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 20 500X & CB1300
Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 08:12:27 PM
I think it's a battery issue too
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline ktcb500xoc

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Burmese Ryder
Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 01:14:21 AM
*Originally Posted by 762x54 [+]
You will need to check the voltage with the engine running at 4000-5000 rpm to determine the charging voltage. At
idle the generator will only produce enough current to keep the bike running.

ok I will do that... I will try to follow the protocol on the 20.1 on service manual and hopefully get the issue resolved by the end of the day...  thanks for the input, I appreciate it...
dream bike cb500x

Offline ktcb500xoc

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Burmese Ryder
Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 03:25:20 AM
I have thoroughly checked for faulty battery but the battery charged fully at 13.0+ V and remains steady after an hour of charging. installed on the bike and checked for amp leakage and the meter was all over the place. took the rectifier connector off and check for leakage again and its the same thing. i looked into the manual and its saying there's a short in the harness or ignition switch. what do you guys think? the video footage is below...

dream bike cb500x