Author Topic: Upgrade considerations for more all-round riding  (Read 2885 times)

Online motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Re: Upgrade considerations for more all-round riding
Reply #20 on: October 22, 2020, 06:31:23 PM
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
The problem with internet forums is that it is very easy for the same person [or handful of people] to post the same thing on multiple platforms, making any 'problem' look far more widespread than it actually is... never mind that it's human nature to complain about stuff that goes wrong, rather than comment when things are going right...

Honda have sold tens of thousands of these bikes over the past seven years, and many people have ridden them tens of thousands of miles with no mechanical issues whatsoever - including around the world, the length of the Americas, Australia and Europe... They are a well made and very reliable bike.

In comparison, a handful of people have reported the odd issue - be it a leaking water pump [seal] or similar - but that is in no way representative of the bike as a whole.

Like you say, take whatever spares you feel are prudent with you on an extended trip - but don't for a moment think you might actually need them.

Jx
100% agree -I have seen this type of thing for years on forums a little thing blows up to a quick trade the bike in before you you have the problem--if that's the case maybe we shouldn't be riding motorcycles at all--when paranoia hits it's hard to shake it off especially when it's not warranted
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Online catstevecam

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
Reply #21 on: October 23, 2020, 09:14:36 AM
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
100% agree -I have seen this type of thing for years on forums a little thing blows up to a quick trade the bike in before you you have the problem--if that's the case maybe we shouldn't be riding motorcycles at all--when paranoia hits it's hard to shake it off especially when it's not warranted

:152:

Offline Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
Reply #22 on: November 12, 2020, 09:47:12 AM

+1, the best post I have seen for a very long time,and very true.

Superplasma.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Reply #23 on: November 12, 2020, 10:11:43 AM
Absolutely true - my last bike was a Hyosung GT650, admittedly not a manufacturer with the best reputation (!), and the owners forum was full of warnings, particularly about rectifier failure.  I worried about it for 5 years, but never had any problems!!   :034:
The Story So Far.........
2017-2020: 15044 miles recreational use - 89.74mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Online Neox

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
Reply #24 on: November 12, 2020, 02:35:32 PM
And what about a new KTM 390 adventure?
Lighter than the CB, small power difference, better suspensions, same good mpg.

the weight of the 500x is almost the same as that of the old 500S, it has not grown as much as the bikers :008:.

I wouldn't talk about himalayan, I still wonder if I should have bought it :001:.
I love his simplicity, accessibility, and not to high...

Offline max-500

• CB500X Member
Reply #25 on: November 12, 2020, 04:18:25 PM
The new CRF300L looks like a great step in the right direction.

Online motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #26 on: November 12, 2020, 04:47:35 PM
Been waiting for this -larger engine- larger fuel tank now if it had tubeless tires that would finish it-the  difference between the 250 engine and the 300 engine is night and day -I had both hard to believe that 3HP WHHP USA version would make that big of a difference but it does and they say 8.5 HP over the 250 but I' m sure that is crankshaft figures--and they both got the same MPG- Go Honda
Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 04:54:29 PM by motorboy
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Martin

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #27 on: November 12, 2020, 05:30:58 PM
That is a very cool Honda. Hope it gets to Europe.

Ive decided to just stick with my CB500X for now. Added Barkbusters, which is useful. Id love to try a Himalayan (love the look and it suits my style of riding) but just keeping what I have is cheapest. Leaving more money to actually go somewhere once this pandemic mess eases. A big expense is luggage. Am going to get the Mosko Moto Reckless 80. Saves buying panniers and keeps things slim, adaptable and moveable between any future bikes 👍

Online Swanny

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 20 500X & CB1300
Reply #28 on: November 12, 2020, 06:07:48 PM
Looks good but also looks like the same frame so probably still heavy
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Reply #29 on: November 12, 2020, 06:38:20 PM
Been waiting for this -larger engine- larger fuel tank now if it had tubeless tires that would finish it-the  difference between the 250 engine and the 300 engine is night and day -I had both hard to believe that 3HP WHHP USA version would make that big of a difference but it does and they say 8.5 HP over the 250 but I' m sure that is crankshaft figures--and they both got the same MPG- Go Honda

If you feel tubeless tyres really are essential, there would be nothing to stop you either sealing the existing rims with the Outex tape system for example, or even getting the hubs re-laced with some more appropriate rims...

Personally for 'all-terrain' adventure riding, this bike with a set of 17/19" rims* sealed with the BARTubless polymer system would be the sweet spot I feel.

*note. There are comparatively few tubeless tyres available in 18/21 inch sizes, but virtually every manufacturer offers tubeless tyres in 17/19 size.

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com