Author Topic: First crash  (Read 992 times)

Offline Sierra

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
First crash
on: October 21, 2020, 11:38:49 PM
Hi guys!

Well, today I managed to crash for the first time  :087:

I went offroading for a bit, while we still have some sun in October. I found myself on an inclined, wet and grassy bit for just a second and thatís when the bike slid out under me really quickly.

Luckily, no major injuries for me, just a few bruises on my left leg but my beloved Honda on the other hand took a beating that wonít heal that easily.

I managed to scratch the left side, just where the Honda sticker on the Ď18. model is, scratching not just the sticker but the paint as well and also the left turn signal indicator took a beating. The left Givi handleguard ended up all twisted.

Iíll put some pictures here.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/VNzGSj5

It looks like I could just get that exact same body part and fix my problems but Iím not really sure where and how? Or, if you guys know something else I could try regarding the scratches and the turn signal indicator?

In fact, anything will be much appreciated :)

Thanks!

Offline Swanny

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 20 500X & CB1300
Re: First crash
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 11:59:45 PM
As long as you picked yourself and the bike up and jumped back in the saddle, no problem  :028:
It happens
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 04:47:22 PM
As long as you are OK - that's all that matters. 
Give yourself time to consider repairs and replacements - none of the bikes injuries are critical and after a few days you'll hardly notice them  :007:

Offline Britchris

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500X RRL1
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 12:26:32 PM
For scratches on the metal surfaces try T-Cut or some other scratch repair compound. You'd be surprised how much you can "polish" out.
You can buy similar scratch removal products for the plastic surfaces.
So long as the stickers aren't under clearcoat paint they can be removed using a hairdryer/heat gun and replaced with new stickers from Honda.
These options are much less expensive than replacing everything with new & if they don't work you are only a few $$$ worse off.
Glad to hear you are OK.
Remember: there are two types of rider. Those that have fallen off and those that will......
Ride safe
Chris C
It's not a sport unless you can suffer massive internal injuries.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 03:52:22 PM
crashing without getting hurt is a learning experience we all have done it some more than others-it's what you get out of the experience that counts to avoid the same thing from happening in the future
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Swanny

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 20 500X & CB1300
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 04:13:37 PM
It's not really a crash. You just fell off  :002: :153:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 04:16:59 PM
*Originally Posted by Swanny [+]
It's not really a crash. You just fell off  :002: :153:
He called it a crash that's why I did-or you could say it's just a misunderstanding between the bike and the ground-the universe is against us two wheelers and unseen force holes us up moving -stop and gravity wants to pull
us to the ground
Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 04:26:12 PM by motorboy
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 05:14:25 PM
I have done a lot of off road riding, and I must say the Honda's are not what you need if the going is very hard, you need a proper off road bike made to take crashes, I used a Monteser 250.

Superplasma

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 05:35:25 PM
The mid-cowl fairing plastic is not too expensive to replace. I can't tell from the photos whether the metal fuel tank took a hit also. If you elect to replace the mid cowl, you'll see whether the holding brackets and support structure were bent. Check the nose beak to see if it's still pointed straight ahead.

The turn signal is no big deal. Just replace if broken. The rubber mount tends to protect the mount support from damage.

I've done both of these replacements; right mid-cowl and left rear turn signal. The support frame held up surprisingly well and was not bent in either case.

Offline Martin

• CB500X Member
Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 07:41:59 PM
The fairing doesn't look cracked in the photo. I guess one thing to consider is *not* replacing it, if you're planning to go off-road again. I guess chances are it'll happen again and better to scratch a damaged fairing than a newly replaced one...

victorious-backstage