Author Topic: Internal handbar weights.  (Read 455 times)

Offline Bucki28

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 CB500XAJ
Internal handbar weights.
on: October 26, 2020, 08:24:56 PM
Hi. sorry if this is in the wrong place or there is already a thread for this but i tried typing it in the search bar and nothing was showing up. I have removed the inner bar weights for the barkbuster storm set and i was told by doing this there would be some handling issues or excessive vibrations. My question is what do they actually do and if there is going to be extra vibration is it that bad or what?

Thanks again for your time.

I am new here so hopefully find some good tips and mods and also learn how things work on here.

Mark :763:

Offline CBRDEAN0

• CB500X Pro
Re: Internal handbar weights.
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 09:28:44 PM
Not noticed any extra vibration when fitting the barkbusters to mine.

I did read somewhere about some people taking off the locking clip and just pushing the inner weights further in when fitting barkbusters.
Never checked to see if this is feasable.

Offline Martin

• CB500X Member
Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 09:42:42 PM
I installed them tonight so the comparison is fresh. There is a tiny bit more vibration at 2.5k rpm but thatís all. Hardly noticeable. 

Offline Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 08:42:12 AM
*Originally Posted by Bucki28 [+]
Hi. sorry if this is in the wrong place or there is already a thread for this but i tried typing it in the search bar and nothing was showing up. I have removed the inner bar weights for the barkbuster storm set and i was told by doing this there would be some handling issues or excessive vibrations. My question is what do they actually do and if there is going to be extra vibration is it that bad or what?

Thanks again for your time.

I am new here so hopefully find some good tips and mods and also learn how things work on here.

Mark :763:

What did you take them out for? If you're fitting Barkbusters then the BB mounting stuff replaces the inner weights and you won't feel any more vibrations.

Offline Bucki28

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 CB500XAJ
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 10:05:02 AM
*Originally Posted by Mister Paul [+]
What did you take them out for? If you're fitting Barkbusters then the BB mounting stuff replaces the inner weights and you won't feel any more vibrations.

Yea barkbusters and that's good to hear then thank you!  :062:

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 10:56:12 AM
You could add the external 'teardrop' shaped bar end weights that are available from Barkbusters.

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 05:32:15 PM
Just thinking a bit with observations:

The basic idea of the bar end weight is to dampen and move the resonance frequency to a higher or lower value so that it's not as much of a problem. On utility lines, dumbbell weights of a particular design are selected to prevent wind-induced vibration from causing resonance that fatigues the support hardware. These are also used on poles.

A change in bar end weight changes the tuned value of the whole assembly. Even a small change should affect the amount of vibration and the rpm where it peaks or resonates. I wonder how much work Honda puts into selecting the bar end weight and how critical the selection is to prevent objectionable grip vibration. Experience of others is the best guide to any change you choose to do. For my 2014X, grip vibration peaks at 60 mph in 6th gear, right where I normally cruise on the longer stretches of my commute. That might be merely engine induced vibration and not resonance of the bars. It would be interesting to experiment with more or less weight.