Author Topic: CB500X 1st problems with the bike  (Read 815 times)

Offline Shiftupadventure

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
CB500X 1st problems with the bike
on: October 27, 2020, 01:38:19 PM
Hi all,

I was recently in the middle of my trip far away from any bike garage when I noticed some mechanical issue on my practically new CB500X.

Problem appeared all of a sudden without any physical damage, fall or hit and I've noticed some fluid leakage underneath the bike. I was not expecting any mechanical issues with bike that has less than 3k km on the clock and especially since Hondas supposed to be a very reliable bikes.

Very surprised it happened. I'll need to investigate what exactly is the problem and how/why it happened.

Video below.

Any suggestion welcome.

:763:

Offline johnthebigadv

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Re: CB500X 1st problems with the bike
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 03:04:56 PM
*Originally Posted by Shiftupadventure [+]
Hi all,

I was recently in the middle of my trip far away from any bike garage when I noticed some mechanical issue on my practically new CB500X.

Problem appeared all of a sudden without any physical damage, fall or hit and I've noticed some fluid leakage underneath the bike. I was not expecting any mechanical issues with bike that has less than 3k km on the clock and especially since Hondas supposed to be a very reliable bikes.

Very surprised it happened. I'll need to investigate what exactly is the problem and how/why it happened.

Video below.

Any suggestion welcome.

:763:

Might find your answer here,

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php?topic=6544.0
Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 03:12:56 PM by johnthebigadv
CB500X the little motorcycle with a big heart.

Offline BZH

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 03:14:56 PM
Considering the color and the aspec I would go for a coolant leak.

Have you checked the level in the jar?

Can you see where the leak is coming from? engine hose or gasket level ...

Offline 762x54

• CB500X Member
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 03:34:54 PM
I vote for coolant, also. Check the overflow reservoir, as long as there is coolant in the reservoir and the temp gauge is normal it should be OK to ride.

Online JMo

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 04:09:10 PM
If it's dripping out of the water-pump seal (gasket), which it looks like since there was a drop on the gearshift pivot, then take a 5mm allen key (which is one of the few tools you do get under the seat of every bike) and check those bolts on the pump are tight.

If it continues to leak, get a new gasket for the water pump and fit it.

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 10:16:45 PM
My assumption is that your bike is still under warranty. If so, just go to your dealer and get it sorted.
IMHO it is very unlikely that it'd be the gasket - much more likely it leaks from the weep hole - indicating an early water pump failure.

Offline Aggie95

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 03:08:03 PM
*Originally Posted by Shiftupadventure [+]
Hi all,

Video below.

Any suggestion welcome.

Oyabun is likley spot on here.  There are a handful of members on this forum who have had the same problem, water pump shaft seal failure. 

This problem first occurred in some of the '14 models and was eventually traced back to a supplier who incorrectly assembled the water pump and bent the shaft.  Most of these failed very early, just like yours.  Honda appeared to solve this problem several years ago, but it seems to have returned.  Others have had this problem with the recent model bikes.  Though it appears only a small percentage of bikes have been afflicted with this problem, when it's yours, it's really frustrating...

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

Offline Shiftupadventure

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 05:22:47 PM
Yeah, it's frustrating especially because I'm on the road in the middle of nowhere, but at least bike is under warranty.

Had chat with dealership today, will bring the bike in and they'll see what's wrong.

Will report back once they figure out.