Author Topic: Connecting 2 Auxillary lights to HiBeam possible?  (Read 415 times)

Offline moskito

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019CBX-CRF250L
Connecting 2 Auxillary lights to HiBeam possible?
on: October 28, 2020, 03:04:48 AM
Hi,
i am planning to connect 2x18W Auxillary lights to the HiBeam switch, can anyone advise if this will work and where to connect best?
I did the same on my CRF250L a couple of years ago and it worked fine. Unfortunately the CB500X is hiding the wirering a bit more :)
:
this two extra lights are atm running with an extra switch and connected to the battery Thaistyle. I dont think thats a good idea and the extra switch is not really convenient too, so i thought i do it like i did before.
:
Is it possible? Can you tell me where to connect for switching on the lights when switching on HiBeam pls.
:
Thx in advance for answers and sorry if you had this before, have not checked the search function much before.
I am a totally noob when it comes to bike electric, absolutely no idea. Houseelectric is fine but bikes are another level
CRF-250L
CRF-250 Rally
XT-500 just sold :/
VT600  (4 sale)
CB500X 2019 Model

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Master
Re: Connecting 2 Auxillary lights to HiBeam possible?
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 07:13:28 AM
Its certainly possible but not sure how to do it.

Denali do a nice kit where you can have their LED lights as day time lights at half power but then can be switched to full power and operate with the full beam. The switch fits in the 2019 and on fog light position. They can also be turned off completely. Comes with a plug in wiring kit. Unfortunately its VERY expensive!

Offline moskito

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 08:23:32 AM
*Originally Posted by japes1275 [+]
Its certainly possible but not sure how to do it.

on my CRF250L i just connected to the white cable on the headlight bulb wich i changed before into an LED one. Was easy but the access to the lights was by far more easy :)
Thx for your tip but i will wait, may be there is some Motorcycle Electrician here with an idea. I dont see why it should not work

have a great day Japes

CRF-250L
CRF-250 Rally
VT600  (4 sale)
CB500X 2019 Model

Online STOKIE

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2020 CB500X
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 08:58:41 AM
Under the right hand fairing there is a ready made wiring plug just for this, with power,earth,and switched high beam connector,use the forum search function and you will find everything you need to know. :028:

Offline moskito

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 12:36:28 PM
*Originally Posted by STOKIE [+]
Under the right hand fairing there is a ready made wiring plug just for this, with power,earth,and switched high beam connector,use the forum search function and you will find everything you need to know. :028:

Hi Stokie and thx for reply,
i had something like this on my Rally before on left side front fairing.
All i can find here is a box, looking like a Relay (?)
I searched forum for  READY MADE WIRING PLUG not found what you mentioned.
Or is it the thing on the picture? (hope i can upload it)

https://ibb.co/mB9Zs5C

https://ibb.co/mB9Zs5C
Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 12:37:28 PM by moskito
CRF-250L
CRF-250 Rally
VT600  (4 sale)
CB500X 2019 Model

Online Oyabun

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 02:51:34 PM
Hope it gets to you in time.
If you have a LED headlight 500x (so 2016 and newer) DO NOT connect any load directly to the blue high beam wire of the front options plug. Doing so will fry the electronics inside the headlight unit - it's not if, but when.
It is perfectly OK to use the front OP (options plug from now on) to provide power and high beam signal to the aux lights, but use a relay with its trigger wire connected to the blue high beam trigger wire of the front OP.
If you have an earlier 500x with filament bulbs then it no concern to use it to power the led aux lights.

Offline moskito

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 03:48:15 AM
*Originally Posted by Oyabun [+]
Hope it gets to you in time.
If you have a LED headlight 500x (so 2016 and newer) DO NOT connect any load directly to the blue high beam wire of the front options plug. Doing so will fry the electronics inside the headlight unit - it's not if, but when.
It is perfectly OK to use the front OP (options plug from now on) to provide power and high beam signal to the aux lights, but use a relay with its trigger wire connected to the blue high beam trigger wire of the front OP.
If you have an earlier 500x with filament bulbs then it no concern to use it to power the led aux lights.

thank you very much Oyabun, i will not connect it than. Since i am having really absolutely no idea of motorcycle electric, nor any access here in Thailand to a GOOD motorcycle electrician i will just go on with my set up and an extra switch, even when i am hating it, and its complicated and stupid. IF i ride nighttimes on empty roads its anoying always to work with two switches instead of one.
May be i can find sooner or later a solution.
In Thailand ALL the mechanics giving a sh#t, they usually connect everything with an extra wire directly to the battery even if there are 3 cables installed already, Relays are unknown, so is any kind of warranty. If it works it works, if its burning 30min later when you left the garage, its not their problem anymore  :006: :155:
:
I thought its easier but since mine is a 2019 its obviously not
 :763: :763:
CRF-250L
CRF-250 Rally
VT600  (4 sale)
CB500X 2019 Model

Online STOKIE

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2020 CB500X
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 08:51:21 AM
The option plug you need is under a rubber cover in the same place as the right hand indicator connector, it is ok to use the switched high beam connector to power up a relay therefore negating the need for another switch. not hard to wire in and you can find instructions all over the internet.  :028: