Author Topic: Oxford EVO Heaterz installed.  (Read 337 times)

Offline Mackinaw

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Oxford EVO Heaterz installed.
on: October 29, 2020, 12:32:14 AM
So for my first project I added some grip heaters, and the factory accessory plug.  For my 12vdc power needs, I also added a Painless 3 circuit / ignition switched fuse block.  I figured I would need more power for additional accessories.  I used one circuit to power my new heaters, and now have 2 spare unused circuits under my seat just waiting for the next project.   :002:

Here's the fuse block I got from Painless Wiring.  It's three circuits switched with the key.  Each circuit is rated for 10 amps.  I mounted the fuse block on the right side under the faring, and it fit just perfect.  I had to bend a little metal to make a bracket to hold the fuse block, but was a pretty easy job. 

Oxford EVO...they cost a little more than the regular grips, but they actually control to a fixed set point and regulate for temperature.  The scale is 95 degrees F. to 115 degrees F.  I didn't like the idea of having them hot wired straight to the battery, so I added the Painless fuse block.

Here's the location I picked out.

I used the existing bolt and added a small bracket I made and attached it to the bike.

:002:

Offline Mackinaw

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Re: Oxford EVO Heaterz installed.
Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 12:41:43 AM
I picked the touring version of grips only because they were the exact length of the factory grips, 120mm.  No cutting was required on my 2019 X.  Left grip was easy.  I was able to remove the left grip without cutting it.  I had to sand the paint down to get the new one to slide on.  I used JB Weld epoxy instead of the Oxford supplied super glue.  The super glue just sets too fast, while the epoxy gives you several minutes to make adjustments for the clutch and brake positioning.

Throttle took a while.  I had to  cut the factory grip off and sand the throttle tunnel down smooth to get the grip to slide on.  The throttle has a raised ridge on both ends that has to be sanded smooth.  Once I had the grip sliding on, I marked the position I wanted, applied the epoxy and let it all cure overnight. 

Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 12:55:10 AM by Mackinaw

Offline Mackinaw

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 12:54:52 AM
I cut the Oxford factory power harness and wired it to my first new circuit, fused at 5 amps.  Ran the 2 spare circuits, 12 gage power wire, and coil wire inside wire mold along the right side to the battery / seat area.  I used the factory plug under the seat to fire the new coil for the fuse block.  Wired the 12 gage fuse block power to the battery using a inline fuse, and coiled up the 2 spare circuit wires.  For future projects, all I will have to do is install a fuse in the spare circuit and find a ground.   I'm thinking a heated jacket, and maybe some pants.   :002:

All wired up.

Offline Mackinaw

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 12:59:35 AM
Here's the Honda factory accessory outlet.  I was surprised it was only 20 bucks, and the install was simple.   :002:

Oxford plug day....I also purchased their 40L tail bag.  Sometimes I think it looks a little big for the bike, but I've always got it full it seems.   :002:

Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 01:18:03 AM by Mackinaw

Online motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 02:28:00 PM
What did you put on your handlebar levers-it looks like heat shrink
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Mackinaw

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 02:56:21 PM
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
What did you put on your handlebar levers-it looks like heat shrink

Yep, heat shrink.  I dipped the ends of the levers in black paint for looks, and used 3/4 inch heat shrink as a thermal barrier.  The plastic heat shrink barrier does not transfer heat as quickly as bare metal.  Helps with the arthritis in my old fingers.  :002: