Author Topic: Summer Gear for 35+ days  (Read 386 times)

Offline IronBronco

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Summer Gear for 35+ days
on: November 05, 2020, 01:58:10 AM
Hi All,

I recently did my first moto camping trip in the forest areas around Perth...around 200km of gravel. Since this was my first trip it was a bit experimental, see what works and what doesn't, and to be honest by riding gear isn't what you would call ADV ready so I kinda looked out of place...but who cares, Rome wasn't build in one day, I'll get there.

I just want to share my thoughts on the riding gear that I used, and get some opinions on what to replace it with. Also keep in mind that Perth sees lots of days 35-42 in the summer.

Currently I have:
- Alpinestars SPX AIRFLOW jacket
- Kabuto RT33 SP1 helmet
- Spidi kevlar jeans
- Forma ADV tourer boots.

The jacket wasn't too bad out on the gravel as the mesh under the arms etc. provides flexibility, however if this is considered an "airflow" jacket then I need to recalibrate myself. The vents are just too small, and the jacket is too hot on 35+ days.  You need to unzip it at the front to get enough airflow.
It seems like full mesh jackets only work well up to 32 and then the hot wind as the opposite effect. I'm thinking Klim Baja S4. Anyone with some experience riding in really hot weather?

The helmet. I cannot complain too much because this is not a helmet built for dusty environments. I had to keep the visor open at all times to get airflow in, but that also meant keeping well behind my mate; otherwise it would have been dust for breakfast, lunch and dinner. My wishlist for an ADV helmet is a modular helmet that can fit goggles, and vents well. I'm thinking Scorpion EXO-AT950?

Spidi kevlar jeans. These did not work well for me at all.  Again I know this is not their intended environment, so shouldn't come as a surprise. Not enough movement between the legs to really go full on acrobatic on my bike. Also, these are a real pain to get over my boots. I'd like to replace them too and will probably go the pants that matches the jacket.

Boots...can you love boots...if so, I do! This is my first set of riding gear and these boots sure sets a pretty high benchmark. They are cumfy, I can walk in them and they provide excellent protection against the environment, as all the scuff marks on them can attest for. I wear thick hiking socks with them so the leather bits high up doesn't sweat against my calves, which was a bit of an issue on hot days initially.

Any thoughts/ comments are welcome on replacing these for hot weather conditions.

Thanks!

Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 02:00:49 AM by IronBronco

Offline manray

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: Summer Gear for 35+ days
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 04:05:11 AM
Desert like heat requires an evaporative vest.  You can substitute by soaking your shirt in water and wearing it wet.  The heat will dry it in no time.  In high heat and humidity, the problem is evaporation.  Your body looses (don't remember the amount) a lot of water when you are riding on a bike with vented gear; hot moving air removes water from your body faster.  De-hydration becomes a serious problem when hours on a bike in these conditions.  Some people choose to be hot and prevent the evaporation by wearing a jacket with minimal vents. 

For me, I prefer to wear a vented jacket and soak the shirt I'm wearing periodically because the heat and humidity is too uncomfortable when the mercury is below 32 degrees.

Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 04:07:03 AM by manray

Offline JoeD

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2018 CB500X
Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 11:57:13 PM
My Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket works well for flowing a lot of air but once it's over 95F (which happens here in southern California) that air is starting to get oven-like and, as mentioned by manray, only wetting down my shirt for the extra evaporative cooling helps. (I can't compare the Joe Rocket jacket to any others because it was the only mesh jacket I could find in my size - I'm 6'4" and 185 lb.)

Offline IronBronco

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 06:42:49 AM
It seems like the common point of view is that mesh is good until temperatures reach body temp, at which point the warm wind is your enemy more so than just the heat. It also seems like in general when jackets have mesh panels like the Baja S4 then those panels cannot be closed.

So I'm now looking at something like the REV'IT Sand 3. The vents on the chest and specially arms are huge. I get the idea that to be able to control the airflow on those really hot days in combination with a cooling vest is perhaps the best option rather than a pure mesh jacket e.g. the Klim Induction.

Another contender is the Alpinestars Valparaiso 3. The DRYSTAR membrane can be removed. However, the vents on the Sand 3 seems bigger. Especially the arms.

And I also like the Scorpion EXO Yosemite. The thermal and waterproof liners can be removed, and the vents on the arms and chest seems similar to the Sand 3.

Offline max-500

• CB500X Member
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 08:32:17 AM
I've had the AS Adventure jackets and looked at all the options from Rev-it etc.  IME and IMHO the various 'three layer' adventure jackets are a silly idea and too heavy/bulky/inconvenient/hot in summer.  The provided thermal layers are poor quality.

I'd go for the Klim Dakar, one of the best value jackets in the range.  I got one for 250 new here in the UK and they are cheaper your side of the pond too.  Cool when you want it, takes full armour, good abrasion resistance and pockets/features you need in a lightweight shell.  You are then free to add layers of your choice in or out.

Add a rain jacket ON TOP (not underneath - why on earth do 'adventure' jackets have that daft idea of the rain liner on the INSIDE!).  When cold layer up with a down jacket if needed on the inside on top of base layers.

I use a Rev-it lightweight mesh in the hot summer days but you sacrifice a lot of protection with most of these.
Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 08:33:30 AM by max-500

victorious-backstage