Author Topic: I waxed my Mat Grey tank and...  (Read 5404 times)

Offline gmike

• CB500X Member
Re: I waxed my Mat Grey tank and...
Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 01:27:41 AM
Iíve been doing that to my 2016 matte black since it was new using Meguiarís spray wax.  I like the look better. As I remember it the process they said to use for matte was a 3 step.  Using a special soap, uv protector then a sealer.  The spray wax is much easier.   
2016 CB500X
2013 CB1100

Online justinw

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 06:54:41 AM
Got to say I'm relieved to read others do this to no ill effect.

Offline grumpyzuma

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X MY2018
Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 08:36:41 AM
Bike looks great, justinw!  :046: 'scuse  my ignorance, but why shouldn't you wax mat paint? Polish I can understand may be a problem but can't think why wax would be!  :027:

Online justinw

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #13 on: November 09, 2020, 09:43:33 AM
Thanks.
If you upset the matt effect and got some reflection then you could  get patches of dull finish and shiny finish which would look terrible and would be irreversible (imagine a whole car looking patchy).
At least that's what I keep reading. It does make sense.
So I'm avoiding finishes with 'polish' in it.
The owners manual does warn not to wax the matt finish.
Here's something from the web https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2012/05/19/why-you-cant-wax-matte-paint-finishes

Offline grumpyzuma

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X MY2018
Reply #14 on: November 09, 2020, 11:17:22 AM
*Originally Posted by justinw [+]
Thanks.
If you upset the matt effect and got some reflection then you could  get patches of dull finish and shiny finish which would look terrible and would be irreversible (imagine a whole car looking patchy).
At least that's what I keep reading. It does make sense.
So I'm avoiding finishes with 'polish' in it.
The owners manual does warn not to wax the matt finish.
Here's something from the web https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2012/05/19/why-you-cant-wax-matte-paint-finishes

Thanks for the link, it was an interesting read...but (from my very limited understanding of these things) I think he's wrong! Waxing shouldn't do any 'filling' it just adds a layer of protection, he seems to be confusing it with "All In One" type products that clean, polish, fill and seal paint in one process (something like Poorboys Black Hole)...and I can see why they wouldn't be suitable for matt paint. I think you're right to avoid polishes but, looking at your bike, I think you've proved that you can wax matt paint and get a good finish! I don't have a car or bike with matt finish so I don't have to put it to the test so I can just run my mouth about it!  :002:

Online justinw

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #15 on: November 09, 2020, 11:58:21 AM
Out of interest I did a little experiment. When the seat is off there is a decent patch of tank which is not normally visible.
I gave this a gentle rub with some Farecla G3 rubbing compound which polished out the irregularities and it came up glossy.
I prefer the 'matt but waxed' look anyway so I left it as that.
What I don't know is what would happen if I attempted to do the whole tank with G3 - it would be glossy but whether it would be patchy I don't know.

Online motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #16 on: November 09, 2020, 04:05:18 PM
*Originally Posted by justinw [+]
Out of interest I did a little experiment. When the seat is off there is a decent patch of tank which is not normally visible.
I gave this a gentle rub with some Farecla G3 rubbing compound which polished out the irregularities and it came up glossy.
I prefer the 'matt but waxed' look anyway so I left it as that.
What I don't know is what would happen if I attempted to do the whole tank with G3 - it would be glossy but whether it would be patchy I don't know.
If it's to your liking leave it alone-you might take one step to far and no going back
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Online justinw

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #17 on: November 09, 2020, 04:31:08 PM
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
If it's to your liking leave it alone-you might take one step to far and no going back
100% agree. That's it, I'm stopping now  :152:

Online Quico

• CB500X Member
Reply #18 on: November 10, 2020, 11:51:01 AM
Looks great to me.
I've been wondering If I should do that to mine, now I'm definitely in that.  :763:

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Reply #19 on: November 10, 2020, 12:39:53 PM
All this talk about wax + lockdown = a morning in the garage ......... I've done my winter clean and polish, and the bike looks like new!!   

:008: :008: :008:
The Story So Far.........
2017-2020: 15044 miles recreational use - 89.74mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km