Author Topic: Rear Rack  (Read 3206 times)

Online motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Re: Rear Rack
Reply #30 on: January 07, 2021, 08:22:52 PM
I see no reason why it will not fit-I think Givi hasn't caught up with the years because what I have read is all years are the same
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline MoToad

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CB500X, Tw200
Reply #31 on: January 11, 2021, 07:27:13 PM
So it had arrived. Good news and bad. The good is it is an excellently made product. Great tubing, welds and paint. Plus it fits right on. Well....sorta. It will fit with the side grab rails removed but not together. And there is no real way to modify it to work with them. Problem with no grab rails is just that. No grab to pull the bike onto the centre stand. A couple of small holes left where they were mounted. So, like I said, I can send it back for only the loss of postage ($7) or keep it without the side grabrails. Still undecided but I really like the rack. Solution to the grabrails might be to find some sort of grab handle that would attach at the existing hole, giving me a pull lever to put the bike on the stand. I seem to remember someone using a rear folding peg for that purpose.

Takin a likkin but I'm still tickin.

Offline Steve T

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB5X,F8GS,600Alp
Reply #32 on: January 11, 2021, 08:59:04 PM
You've got more to grab than I do with SW Motec Street rack fitted. I can barely get a couple of fingers round what sticks out of the side of my bike when popping it onto the centre stand.

You'll be fine  :152:

Steve T

:018:
British Born
Raised in Wales
Living in Scotland
Still British 1st though

Offline MoToad

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #33 on: January 11, 2021, 10:42:45 PM
Decided to keep. It's mounted and looks great. Altho I hate to start carving up a brand new bike I may take the grabrails and chop them off, maybe maybe take the rearward end pieces and make a shorty grabrail that fits in front of the rack with a one bolt mount. Those things are heavy. I'm thinking steel which would make for easy welding.

Offline Wedgetail

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2019 CB500XA
Reply #34 on: January 12, 2021, 09:01:16 AM
As you say it'd be a shame to chop up those grab rails. This is probably a long shot but if the Givi spare parts 2, 3 and 4 on this pic in link below are available (and at a reasonable price) they might be a better starting point for a lift handle. They are definitely steel. I got a bracket made for a lift handle off the pillion mount and it was not workable....I reckon it'd do your back in.

http://filestwistedthrottlecom.s3.amazonaws.com/Installation%20Instructions/Givi/1121KIT.pdf   

EDIT...having another look I see your already using the back mount for the carrier you've fitted. If you can get (or make) the front one in the link a kayak handle or 4x4 grab handle might do the job.

2nd EDIT...Do you need anything at all. The front loops on the carrier should give you sufficient purchase. Most of the work is done by pushing down on the stand with you foot.
Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 09:09:58 AM by Wedgetail

Offline MoToad

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #35 on: January 12, 2021, 04:41:52 PM
Wedgy(lol)
Thanks for your input. I did try a lift with the rack installed and it is too far back to work. Used the rear peg mount and that worked. Needless to say, It is a light bike and not very hard to deal with. Loaded up with travel gear might be a bit more of a challenge. Compared to the Strom when it was loaded it's a featherweight. Carving up the stock grabrails would be a shame but I did have some idea in my head of actually chopping them either side of that rear bracket, taking both pieces in for sandblasting and welding and repaint in black. Or I could just admire them on the shelf. :002:
Least I am no longer dealing with my previous camping setup, ie; Stromcamp.

Online motorboy

• CB500X God
Reply #36 on: January 12, 2021, 05:45:13 PM
FYI- I just put a magnet on my 2019 grab rails not steel for sure- maybe aluminum-but I seem to remember reading the 2019 up are plastic to save weight

Offline MoToad

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #37 on: January 12, 2021, 08:33:02 PM
DOH! Magnet, of course! (Just love gettin old) And, not steel, Aluminum. Have a nice clank to them. But I'm surprised, they seem heavier than Aluminum. Just more of me gettin old, I guess.

Online motorboy

• CB500X God
Reply #38 on: January 12, 2021, 10:10:12 PM
Another FYI-  S-W Motech makes a center stand lift handle  for the KLR 650 that bolts to the rear foot peg bracket wondering how hard it would be to adapt it to the 500X---I also had a  DL 1000 in a few words a mile muncher 500 miles days were nothing but in the end of the day the weight was a killer
Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 10:14:47 PM by motorboy

Offline MoToad

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #39 on: January 12, 2021, 10:48:37 PM
Well, u may have helped me solve my "problem", MB. Looked up the KLR lift and was looking at the pick and it made me go out and check. The rear peg was reversible. Pulled the pin and flipped it over and, voila! It does rattle (I can probably fix that) and does look a little goofy facing down and forward but it works. Perfect spot for a lift. Considering I haven't had a passenger in a good 20 years it's not a concern. Plus I could flip it back over if ever needed.