Author Topic: Throttle/brake lock or other options?  (Read 856 times)

Offline adamSFO

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2021 CB500X
Throttle/brake lock or other options?
on: November 23, 2020, 05:25:34 PM
Hi hi,

As Iím picking up my Ď21 CB500X next weekend, I now need to ensure that it stays mine.  Does anyone have any experience with throttle/front brake clamps like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A759GW0

I was thinking of using it either solo, or as a glorified reminder cable in conjunction with a disc lock.

Or any other suggestions for improving the odds of it staying put?  I realize itís not a high-zoot theft target, and thereís no preventing a determined thief anyways, and I want to balance convenience with security.  The throttle/brake clamp seems to do all of that, and in a way that thereís no forgetting itís on and riding off and mangling my front end.  Tho I donít know if there are any issues with leaving the front calipers clamped shut like that.

Itíll be garaged while at home, and not likely left out on the streets *too* much, but motorcycle theft is a thing in San Francisco, and Iíd like to take some steps to discourage it.

Thanks!
     Adam

Offline Jamie Z

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2019 ABS
Re: Throttle/brake lock or other options?
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 12:27:59 AM
I'm not familiar with that product... but looks interesting. I'm curious if anyone has experience with it.

Offline drjack

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 01:32:53 AM
Anything you can do to slow down or deter potential thieves will help. Some type of alarm is better than locks with no alarm as an alarm can draw attention and scare off thieves. Alarmed disc locks are available. I use an alarmed disc lock for the rear and a cable lock for the front that connects the wheel to the frame and prevents the wheel from turning and if I'm lucky secures the bike to an immovable object as well. I like the brake lock you posted but haven't used one. These bikes are light, two to three people can pick one up and toss it in a van or truck and be gone in 20 seconds or less.
Good luck,
Jack
The intelligent rider uses a quiet pipe.
Current bikes: 2016 CB500X, 2005 400EXC

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 02:05:34 AM
I cable lock to fixed object and then cover to minimize advertising the bike and locking method.

Offline Drklynoon

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 03:22:44 AM
I have heard many many times that one of the best deterrents is a motorcycle cover. This seems ridiculous for those of us that are not thieves but it seems as though a simple bike cover will thwart many a thief. Now if you run into a determined thief I'm not sure anything can really stop them with a bike. I mean they can just pick it up and put it in a truck and drive off if they want. 

Offline andy12345

• CB500X Newbie
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 07:57:56 PM
*Originally Posted by adamSFO [+]
Hi hi,

As Iím picking up my Ď21 CB500X next weekend, I now need to ensure that it stays mine.  Does anyone have any experience with throttle/front brake clamps like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A759GW0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

?  I was thinking of using it either solo, or as a glorified reminder cable in conjunction with a disc lock...

This lock is easily defeated by snapping the brake lever, or cutting the brake line.

As minimum I use the steering lock and an alarmed disc lock on the front wheel. Longer stops get a 13mm chain through the rear wheel to something immovable. 13mm is a little on the thin side for a chain, but itís a compromise between being able to carry it on the bike also. And with the disc lock Iím happy enough.

They fit very well in a tail pack that just stays on the pillion seat all the time.

Iíd suggest an alarmed disc lock on the front with a nice bright reminder cable, that also makes it obvious to potential theives. Hopefully theyíll pass it by. And Iíd you dont want to carry a chain. Then a second lock on the rear sprocket. Look at something like the Oxford boss alarmed d lock. Or the kyptonite New York disc lock.

Edit: even with disc locks on both wheels, the bike can be picked up with a few people. If you want to keep it safe at work or at home get a ground anchor and a 16mm chain. Chain it Through the frame if possible. Something from pragmasis or almax provide good value. Not sure if theyíre available in the US though.

Edit 2: if you have two locks and steering lock then youíre bike is much harder target than most bikes. So once youíve done that donít worry too much. You could always look at a gps tracker. The better once can text you when the bike leaves a certain area. 
Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 08:09:50 PM by andy12345

Offline Jamie Z

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2019 ABS
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 09:32:01 PM
*Originally Posted by adamSFO [+]
The throttle/brake clamp seems to do all of that, and in a way that thereís no forgetting itís on and riding off and mangling my front end.  Tho I donít know if there are any issues with leaving the front calipers clamped shut like that.
Based on your post, I bought one of the brake locks with the idea that I can send it back for a refund if I don't like it.

It's feels well-built, but it's definitely not a high-security item.

I've never used any bike security in the past, other than taking the key with me and occasionally using the steering lock. But I think I'll use this. It has the big advantage (like you say) that you'll never, ever forget it.

Mostly I'm interested in keeping people from messing with the bike and it does keep the bike from rolling free when parked.

I'm going to keep it; time will tell if I use it much. I have Bark Buster hand guards and they don't block the use of the brake lock, but they make it a little fiddly to install the lock.

Offline adamSFO

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 08:38:00 PM
*Originally Posted by Jamie Z [+]
Based on your post, I bought one of the brake locks with the idea that I can send it back for a refund if I don't like it.

It's feels well-built, but it's definitely not a high-security item.

Which one did you get?  I ordered a Grip-Lock brand one but have to return it as it won't work with Barkbusters (lock is on the front end).   I just got the BigPantha I linked above for my wife's scooter - it seems pretty good - finishing is a little rough, which could scratch grips/levers, but nothing some sandpaper & gaffer's tape doesn't take care of.  The Grip-Lock is nowhere near as secure-feeling as the BigPantha;  the former just has two metal rods encased in a nylon(?) body, which seems like it would be very easy to cut off, while the BigPantha is a large block of aluminum.

I've never used any bike security in the past, other than taking the key with me and occasionally using the steering lock. But I think I'll use this. It has the big advantage (like you say) that you'll never, ever forget it.

Mostly I'm interested in keeping people from messing with the bike and it does keep the bike from rolling free when parked.

Yeah me too - it's drive-off and roll-off theft I'm after.  No helping the burly-guys-with-a-van scenario, and I don't park on the street overnight or anything, so it's not too big a concern here (I think/hope!).

I'm going to keep it; time will tell if I use it much. I have Bark Buster hand guards and they don't block the use of the brake lock, but they make it a little fiddly to install the lock.

Cool - glad to hear they work with Barkbusers - I'm installing some momentarily.

Offline adamSFO

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 08:43:54 PM
*Originally Posted by andy12345 [+]
This lock is easily defeated by snapping the brake lever, or cutting the brake line.

Sure, but then you have a mostly-undriveable bike.

As minimum I use the steering lock and an alarmed disc lock on the front wheel. Longer stops get a 13mm chain through the rear wheel to something immovable. 13mm is a little on the thin side for a chain, but it’s a compromise between being able to carry it on the bike also. And with the disc lock I’m happy enough.

They fit very well in a tail pack that just stays on the pillion seat all the time.

I’d suggest an alarmed disc lock on the front with a nice bright reminder cable, that also makes it obvious to potential theives. Hopefully they’ll pass it by. And I’d you dont want to carry a chain. Then a second lock on the rear sprocket. Look at something like the Oxford boss alarmed d lock. Or the kyptonite New York disc lock.

I think I have settled on an ABus non-alarmed disc lock/reminder on the front, a BigPantha brake lock, and of course the steering lock.  I'd also think the novelty of the brake/throttle lock, especially in combination with a disc lock, would dissuade some thieves.

Edit: even with disc locks on both wheels, the bike can be picked up with a few people. If you want to keep it safe at work or at home get a ground anchor and a 16mm chain. Chain it Through the frame if possible. Something from pragmasis or almax provide good value. Not sure if they’re available in the US though.

Edit 2: if you have two locks and steering lock then you’re bike is much harder target than most bikes. So once you’ve done that don’t worry too much. You could always look at a gps tracker. The better once can text you when the bike leaves a certain area.

Right - we're rebuilding our garage after we finish drowning in permit insanity, and hard anchors for the motorcycle, scooter, and bicycles will be part of the building plans, and we'll definitely chain the bicycles up always (bicycle theft from garages is a HUGE issue here, way moreso than motorcycle theft), and the moto & scooter if we're going to be away for a while (when we're home they'll be mostly blocked in by our car anyways).