Author Topic: Panniers Used With RR Soft Luggage  (Read 794 times)

Offline LoneWallyUK

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Find me on YouTube - LoneWallyUK
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
Panniers Used With RR Soft Luggage
on: November 27, 2020, 02:18:24 AM
Looking at picking up at the Rally Raid racks since removing my Givi arms the Oxford P50R donít sit very well with the grab handles so thinking about picking a set of RR panniers up. I might be tempted to change the panniers as well if I get the racks. Just curious what combo people are using.

2013 Honda CB550X. Find me on YouTube

Offline Twempie

• CB500X Pro
Re: Panniers Used With RR Soft Luggage
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 04:34:26 AM
*Originally Posted by LoneWallyUK [+]
Looking at picking up at the Rally Raid racks since removing my Givi arms the Oxford P50R donít sit very well with the grab handles so thinking about picking a set of RR panniers up. I might be tempted to change the panniers as well if I get the racks. Just curious what combo people are using.
This is what I have. I like the concept of soft luggage as long as there are ample purchase points.
https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,9306.msg92474.html#msg92474
This is the replacement OEM short rack, advertised for a 2015, but fits my 2018
https://photos.cb500x.com/album/npdN
Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 04:36:48 AM by Twempie

Offline LoneWallyUK

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 03:18:02 AM
Wow it OEM rack can only take 3kg. The Givi can take 6kg. Not the style of luggage Iím thinking of going but never the less a nice setup. I donít carry pillion so my rear seat can take a dry bag.

Offline Twempie

• CB500X Pro
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 04:09:31 AM
Wow it OEM rack can only take 3kg. The Givi can take 6kg. Not the style of luggage Iím thinking of going but never the less a nice setup. I donít carry pillion so my rear seat can take a dry bag.
This is another old chestnut. Don't believe everything you read from a manufacturer. The weight rating for any rack is written in CYA language.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 05:57:55 PM

Hi LoneWallyUK - if you are looking at using separate pannier bags on each side of the RR soft luggage side racks, then keep in mind the depth between the top of the seat and the top of the exhaust available...

In that regard, the ones which work best mount with the longest dimension more horizontally rather than vertically if you see what I mean? - something like the Giant Loop Siskiyou panniers work very well, and similar style linked bags such as Enduristan and AdventureSpec Magadan bags for example... and also a number of separate dry-duffle style such as the Kriega OS bags which you can mount horizontally rather than vertically.

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Twempie

• CB500X Pro
Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 06:23:49 PM
Here's a thought. If an 18kg (40lbs) solid square block was on the back of a bike, then yes, the rider would be asking for trouble. But if that 18kg is spread around the bike and mounted with a low center of gravity then the actual weight on all parts of the rack will be inside or close to to the rack's envelope.

Also bear in mind, adding racks will add more weight to a bike's subframe even before you add packed panniers. That's why a lot of riders of smaller ADV bikes go for rack-less luggage. The X has a decent subframe, but there are limits.

I would also add that there are a lot of "how to pack" videos that'll address most concerns. Jenny is pretty much sensei on that subject.

Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 06:24:35 PM by Twempie

Offline Swanny

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 20 500X & CB1300
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 08:06:28 PM
The CRF250L's have weak rear subframes
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 08:29:34 PM
Bear in mind the RR side frames do fit to an area on the bike where the bike is designed to take the weight of a passenger and that includes the rear foot pegs.
Unless you have a passenger on the bike at the same time as some heavy luggage
I dont really see it being an issue ...
80 to a 100 kg is a hell of a lot of luggage.
If you choose throw over  saddle bags the main part of the weight is on the area a passenger would be seated and the side racks have even less of the downwards force on them,more keeping the bags from damaging areas behind the racks.
An average Givi V40 topbox on an average rack has a max recommended top end weight limit of 10kg.
Adventure Specs rear rack for a T7 has the max rating of one Rotopax with a gallon of fuel.

Offline LoneWallyUK

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 02:13:32 PM
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
Hi LoneWallyUK - if you are looking at using separate pannier bags on each side of the RR soft luggage side racks, then keep in mind the depth between the top of the seat and the top of the exhaust available...

In that regard, the ones which work best mount with the longest dimension more horizontally rather than vertically if you see what I mean? - something like the Giant Loop Siskiyou panniers work very well, and similar style linked bags such as Enduristan and AdventureSpec Magadan bags for example... and also a number of separate dry-duffle style such as the Kriega OS bags which you can mount horizontally rather than vertically.

Jx

Yh that makes complete sense.

Offline LoneWallyUK

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 02:15:32 PM
*Originally Posted by Twempie [+]
Here's a thought. If an 18kg (40lbs) solid square block was on the back of a bike, then yes, the rider would be asking for trouble. But if that 18kg is spread around the bike and mounted with a low center of gravity then the actual weight on all parts of the rack will be inside or close to to the rack's envelope.

Also bear in mind, adding racks will add more weight to a bike's subframe even before you add packed panniers. That's why a lot of riders of smaller ADV bikes go for rack-less luggage. The X has a decent subframe, but there are limits.

I would also add that there are a lot of "how to pack" videos that'll address most concerns. Jenny is pretty much sensei on that subject.

With what I take currently the weight is fine. Its just that the throw over panniers I currently have sit awful with the grab handles. Also no pillion means I'm with throw overs means I'm way under weight

victorious-backstage