Author Topic: replacement throttle tube for new grips  (Read 273 times)

Offline ZeroTo600

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • From beginner to WA BDR
  • Bike: '15 CB500x
replacement throttle tube for new grips
on: January 03, 2021, 07:00:15 AM
I am getting ready to install some Oxford heated grips.  I have read several helpful posts about filing down the OEM throttle tube in order to install the Oxford grips.  But I'm wondering, has anyone found a replacement throttle tube (non-OEM) that's smooth on the outside?  I have never replaced a throttle tube, but I figure it must be easier than all that filing and sanding.

There seem to be many throttle tubes available online, but nothing stated to fit the CB except the nice-looking (but $$$) aluminum tubes from G2.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline glencoeman

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: replacement throttle tube for new grips
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 09:14:32 AM
Very easy to sand down the notches on the Honda twistgrip - I have done it a few times on different Hondas. I use a Dremel with a sanding attachment (flap wheel) and it only takes a few minutes  - and costs nothing!
Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 10:06:09 AM by glencoeman

Offline STOKIE

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2020 CB500X
Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 10:25:42 AM
*Originally Posted by glencoeman [+]
Very easy to sand down the notches on the Honda twistgrip - I have done it a few times on different Hondas. I use a Dremel with a sanding attachment (flap wheel) and it only takes a few minutes  - and costs nothing!
+1 to the dremel doesn't take a minute and leave's it nice and smooth. Masked mine up a bit while doing it as it was very dusty.

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 01:56:02 PM
glencoeman and stokie are right on the money. It's very easy to sand down the stock tube and if you want the comfort of some insurance, just order a spare tube from Honda. I bought one last year and it cost less than $10.
Good luck
Just damn happy to be here...