Author Topic: GIVI crash bars for 2020 model - any known issues?  (Read 341 times)

Offline RMVilla

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2021 CB500X
GIVI crash bars for 2020 model - any known issues?
on: January 06, 2021, 02:42:59 PM
I'm about to decide if I get GIVI crash bars for my 2021 bike and I'd like to know if there are reports of known issues/downsides with those.
Here in Brazil GIVI is the best quality you can get (SW Motech and other brands don't sell here, and import of motorcycle parts & accessories pays a 60% import tax), other options are local manufacturers with a lot of quality issues. Givi is also around 50% more expensive than local options, so I need to be certain of this.

Many CB500X owners here report frame fractures near where crash bars are bolted to the bike, so we suspect the crash bars weight might be responsible.

Thanks for any help.

Offline xno.06

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500XA - 2017
Re: GIVI crash bars for 2020 model - any known issues?
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 03:22:19 PM
Not exactly your situation, but I hope that this can still be useful information...

I mounted the GIVI TN1121 (https://www.givi.it/pour-votre-moto/product/honda/cb-500-x-13--18/optionals/tn1121) on my 2017 CB500X around 10 months and 4000 km ago. Since then, I didn't notice anything bad. 

On the contrary, when I fell on the pavement at 30 km/h or so, they did their job very well and this only cost me a bit of black paint.

The LED lights didn't appreciate the story, but I can only blame myself: they were very cheap, and the mounting system didn't allow me to put them in a place where they would benefit from the protection of the crash bars...  One other fact to consider is that I didn't have many opportunities to ride since then: I only did 250 km since the accident. I certainly don't expect to discover anything bad later, but I can't really exclude this possibility...

I hope this helps.
Xavier.

Offline RMVilla

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2021 CB500X
Re: GIVI crash bars for 2020 model - any known issues?
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 01:26:36 PM
*Originally Posted by xno.06 [+]
Not exactly your situation, but I hope that this can still be useful information...

I mounted the GIVI TN1121 (https://www.givi.it/pour-votre-moto/product/honda/cb-500-x-13--18/optionals/tn1121) on my 2017 CB500X around 10 months and 4000 km ago. Since then, I didn't notice anything bad. 

On the contrary, when I fell on the pavement at 30 km/h or so, they did their job very well and this only cost me a bit of black paint.

The LED lights didn't appreciate the story, but I can only blame myself: they were very cheap, and the mounting system didn't allow me to put them in a place where they would benefit from the protection of the crash bars...  One other fact to consider is that I didn't have many opportunities to ride since then: I only did 250 km since the accident. I certainly don't expect to discover anything bad later, but I can't really exclude this possibility...

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Seems the crash bars did their job, and I hope you came out unharmed!
I had those LED lights in another bike and I can tell you they are crap. Haven't survived a 2500km trip with heavy rain, the electronics inside were all rusted/corroded.

My main concern with mounting the crash bars is not in case of an actual crash. We have reports here of bike frames being damaged/fractured by simply having the crash bars mounted on the bike for some time, no accidents.