Author Topic: Rally Raid Wheel Bearings  (Read 397 times)

Offline Bartay

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 CB500XA
Rally Raid Wheel Bearings
on: January 07, 2021, 01:57:31 AM
Hello,

I'm at the beginning of doing the level two upgrade on my 2019 cb500x. I've received all the parts except the wheels which will be coming in the next few weeks or so. I was reading the fitment for the wheels and I have a question:

Do the new wheels come with new bearings? Not withstanding using the OEM Brake disk and ABS ring, it mentions using the OEM "cush drive assembly". I'm a bit lost (sorry I'm a 'new' mechanic) I'm not sure what the 'cush drive assembly' is. It doesn't mention bearings and I've seen those are not easily removed, much less reusable?

Any information would be helpful as to weather I reuse the bearings or not. Or if they an internal part of the cush drive assembly.

Thank you for any help.

Bartay
Bartay

Offline Wedgetail

• CB500X Member
Re: Rally Raid Wheel Bearings
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 06:42:22 AM
I can't help with your question re wheel bearings but the cush drive is a final drive damper between the rear sprocket and the wheel hub. Parts 7 & 1 in the linked drawing.  https://bluecitymotorcycles.com.au/oem/honda/search-parts?brand=honda&year=2019&model=5866&assembly=84769 As you can see the cush drive contains it's own bearings separate to the wheel bearings. If these bearings look OK I'd re-use them as they don't need to be removed from the assembly. Condition of rubbers is easiy assessed by visual inspection. 

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 12:50:38 PM
I'm sure our resident expert will weigh in shortly, but the answer to your question is yes, you will get everything you need to install your wheels with the Rally Raid order - except for that cush drive. Wedgtail laid that one out for your and is on the money. With a 2019, it's not likely that you have a ton of miles on the bike so I wouldn't be to worried about the bearings behind the cush drive, but I would check them. It's been my experience that Honda has provided us with less than top flight bearings on this bike.

Good luck with your build.
Just damn happy to be here...

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 04:19:20 PM
Surely...RRP are the people to ask for a definitive answer  if of course that is where you bought from..
I'm surprised you have not asked whoever the seller is. 🤔🥴

Offline Bartay

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 04:35:32 PM
Thanks to you all,

I do have 18,400 miles on the bike (rode it from San Francisco to Panama and the Darien Gap, then returned a different route last winter). I was at the bike shop and was telling them that the RR wheels are machined specifically for the CB500X and I just move the disc, and abs over to the new wheels. That's when they suggested I replace the bearings, so they ordered parts 21 22 & 23 (from Wedgetail's linked diagram) plus the front wheel bearings at a cost of $150 US. So I'd like to cancel that order for now if it's not needed.Seems that could be done at a future tire change.

I watched blancolirio's video on the new wheels and saw him moving, what I now know is the cush drive assembly (thank you), but no mention of bearings. So my take away would be that maybe those bearings come installed with the new wheels?

I did purchase the upgrade from RR, so I could email Liz but was hoping to find an answer here first.

Thanks to everyone again.
Bartay

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Master
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 05:53:24 PM
Yes, the bearings are installed in your new wheels. All you need to do is swap over the cush drive, discs and ABS rings and you are ready to go from a wheel fitting point of view. The cush drive just pulls off the wheel, it is basically the sprocket carrier. Inside are some rubber cushions which you just swap over to your new wheel.

Offline Bartay

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 05:56:45 PM
Thank you!
Bartay

Offline Bartay

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 06:01:38 PM
My apologies. My Bad.

If I had READ again the description at RR I would not have had to bother you all.

Sorry,

Bartay

Online JMo

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 06:06:08 PM
Hi Bartray - as other people have said, the wheels come ready to fit (I can't recall any new wheels that don't come with bearings already fitted).

For info. the current Rally-Raid wheels use the OEM size bearings, so replacements are easy to source at any Honda dealer (or aftermarket if you prefer - although Honda OEM bearings are high quality Japanese ones, so you might as well stick with them).

Note that in the original video from 2015 when Blancolirio fitted his kit, he had the earlier front hub which used 'oversize' 27mm/KTM pattern wheelbearings - but that initial spec was revised when Rally-Raid redesigned their own front hub and slimmed down the disc spider design.

If you go to the Rally-Raid website, under the respective product there is a fitting instruction PDF and more recently a video (made by Adam from RR and Greg from Adventure Spec) of the fitting procedure.

Do pay attention to the step on the rear wheel instructions that you need to remove the rubber O-ring from around the centre post of the OEM hub which the sprocket carrier fits over, and install it on the RR wheel before you refit the cush drive assembly - some people forget to do that.

It really is very straight forward swapping like for like.

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

victorious-backstage