Author Topic: Recommendations for simple (and cheap) pannier rack?  (Read 455 times)

Offline theslayer

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Recommendations for simple (and cheap) pannier rack?
on: January 09, 2021, 11:01:32 PM
Hi everybody,

pretty new to the CB500X and getting a few things ready before the season really starts in spring. My CB500X will mostly be used for on-road touring, also for a few 200km-commutes and I hope to have a few nearby (~500-1000km) camping trips with the bike.

In order to transport my stuff, I bought myself some cheap, but pretty sturdy aluminium cases, that have 40L each, so they are pretty spacious.
It is this modell: https://www.motea.com/de/alukoffer-motorrad-set-bagtecs-namib-2x40-l-anbausatz-fur-koffertrager-998736-0

Now, as you can see on the 3rd and 4th picture in the link, they have a pretty easy system to bolt it on, all I basically need is a simple rectangular pannier rack for them to go on.
Doesn't need a clever system such as Monokey, C-Bow or the stuff from SW-Motech. Should be as rectangular and simple tubing as possible, metal bits sticking off it would probably make it way more difficult to attach the case.

Now I'm looking for your recommendations for a simple, yet sturdy pannier rack, hopefully also one, that doesn't break the bank too much.

So far I've had the following ideas:

1) My absolute favorite one so far is from Batanga cases: http://batangacase.com/?l=de&s=shop&c=5
I contacted them and they said a Rack for the CB500X would run me 90 + postage. It is made of 16mm tubing.

2) Hepco & Becker Lock it.
Pretty simple, but 275... ouch!

Other things that are worth mentioning:
- I have a SW Motech Street Rack attached as a rear-rack. I'd love if rear-rack and pannier rack would both fit at the same time.
- If available I'd prefer 16mm tubing over 18mm tubing, as I could then use my soft-luggage from my bicycle-touring gear as well, for the times I want smaller soft-luggage. Does 16 to 18mm make a big difference in the sturdiness? Because comparing what I normally carry with me on full camping trips, I know my side panniers will be rather heavy and fully loaded.

I'd love to hear some ideas of what I could use, this really is a big mystery for me so far and I can't wait to have a pannier rack to be ready to go!

Thanks in advance!

Offline theslayer

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Re: Recommendations for simple (and cheap) pannier rack?
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 11:29:24 AM
Forgot to add one important Information:

I have a CB500X PC59 (2016-2018)

Offline Cal

• CB500X Member
Re: Recommendations for simple (and cheap) pannier rack?
Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 10:36:53 PM

I have a 2018 and used Givi racks both side and top I made my own Aluminum top plate and mounted with bolts and pucks similar to what you have bought I used pelican case knock offs