Author Topic: On the verge of buying a cb500x  (Read 2207 times)

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
Re: On the verge of buying a cb500x
Reply #30 on: January 14, 2021, 03:49:35 PM
Ice on roads is a challenge - and with snow covering, can be a disaster.  :005:

Glad you only suffered a 'minor' injury and that you are putting your recuperation to good purposes  :152:

Offline Bazippy

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #31 on: January 14, 2021, 04:15:39 PM
I ride with heidenau snow tyres which have saved me in the past, but nothing saves you on ice (no spikes allowed).
Pain is temporary so thats just a niggle, having to get my old man to sort out the mt and get it sold. Come on cb500x its keeping my spirits up thinking about it.
Thanks for the nice messages and help. Great community going on.

Online AJC500

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Reply #32 on: January 14, 2021, 05:09:46 PM
Snow up here today, and I'm a fair weather (summer) motorcyclist now.

I used to take a pal to school on the back of my Royal Enfield 250, and one snowy day I remember getting all the way to the school gates, then we slipped on the last corner and ended up lying in the road with the bike on top of us, laughing our heads off!!   :008:

Then I started work, and I used to commute in all weather - and this was in the 70's, so I didn't bother with gloves or bike gear (that was for softies!!), so I used to stand at the sink with the hot water going, to thaw out my fingers!!   :190:

One weekend I had my then girlfriend (now wife) on the back of my Triumph 500, and we hit black ice on a fast corner, drifting across the white line towards the hedge on the other side of the road, we fortunately hit some grip and kept going.  She was blissfully unaware!!   :038:

Hope you are on the mend.

Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 05:10:22 PM by AJC500
The Story So Far.........
2017-2020: 15044 miles recreational use - 89.74mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline zoomnad

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2020 CB500Xabs
Reply #33 on: January 15, 2021, 11:22:24 AM
cold this morning
"You meet the nicest people on a Honda"

Offline Pudge

• CB500X Newbie
Reply #34 on: January 15, 2021, 11:23:30 PM
My 2 cents, I went from a Bonneville --> KTM 790 Duke --> 2020 CB500X.  Compared to the 790 the Honda is definitely slower, but at the same time it's so much more fun. Hard to explain really. I think its natural for most to want more torque than their first bike, and the KTM provided that. But I look forward to rides on the CB500X way more, and can't wait for the next. Anyways YMMV, good luck with your choice!

Offline rosco

• CB500X Member
  • 59 years in the saddle and counting
  • Bike: CB500X
Reply #35 on: January 17, 2021, 10:39:53 PM
*Originally Posted by Bazippy [+]
So Im really liking the look of this bike.
 I commute daily 20mile round trip, fast country lanes and a bit of town too. Summer heat and winter snow, so need a good all rounder.  I currently run a mt03 660 single, which is great fun and torquey. However I hate the mpg of my current bike and lack of weather protection.
 So the cb500x has popped up as an ideal replacement (Although the tenere700 has my eye too).

My worry is lack of power or torque, my current bike is great but after 4 years of it i keep thinking i want more power (want and need are hugely differnt). Will the cb500 feel similar, i suspect it revs a lot better which might be a over taking benefit.
 Current situation means ill probably have to buy a bike without riding it, so trying to piece together every drop of information, I know one thing for certain the mpg of the cb500x would be a wonderful thing as currently my weekly 100miles empties the tank to the light coming on, i hate filling up!

After many  years of riding and owned a lot of different types and styles of bikes, although no machine is perfect I am really enjoying my CB500X. It does most things well, great MPG and is perfect for commuting and so comfortable. I am sure you will love very quickly.
So many miles and so many bikes and now my first Honda. At 78 I find the CB500X 2020 ideal for so many reasons and loving it. My Heart will always be for Norton's but I am happy just riding motorbikes.

Offline Bazippy

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #36 on: January 18, 2021, 07:58:06 AM
 Lots of great cb500x sales people in here. The word fun is used throughout this thread and reviews all over. High power isnt fun i learnt that in high power cars, cant use that power 90% of the time so it becomes a chore to live with. My current bike =fun its just is fun no real power.
   Looks like the cb will do the same, lots of fun without the huge power. Im currenly on working the best way to get one, got 4-5 weeks before back riding hoping the next bike i ride will be a cbX.

Offline Bazippy

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #37 on: January 18, 2021, 11:36:55 AM
*Originally Posted by rosco [+]
After many  years of riding and owned a lot of different types and styles of bikes, although no machine is perfect I am really enjoying my CB500X. It does most things well, great MPG and is perfect for commuting and so comfortable. I am sure you will love very quickly.

Just noticed your Norton quote, thats the reason i ride. Dad has 3 Nortons, 750 atlas, 750 commando and a 1929 Single. Only took my test to ride with him on those and ended up commuting. Id rather be on an old norton then a modern crotch rocket.

Offline rosco

• CB500X Member
  • 59 years in the saddle and counting
  • Bike: CB500X
Reply #38 on: January 18, 2021, 06:51:03 PM
Thanks for the note re Norton's, I have had one in the family since 1961 the first being a 500 Dominator of 1955 vintage. Many more in between however,  my last one was a 74 Commando 850 Interstate which I had for 42 years of regular use, including many trips to the continent. Sold it last year with 67 thou on the clock and bought the CB500x to keep me on 2 wheels. Your dad has a very good selection, however my experience with an Atlas was of terrific vibrations, which the move to Commando's was never a problem.

Have you decided to join the CB500X fold yet ?  Best of luck.  Rosco. :012:
So many miles and so many bikes and now my first Honda. At 78 I find the CB500X 2020 ideal for so many reasons and loving it. My Heart will always be for Norton's but I am happy just riding motorbikes.

Offline Bazippy

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #39 on: January 18, 2021, 07:44:47 PM
*Originally Posted by rosco [+]
Thanks for the note re Norton's, I have had one in the family since 1961 the first being a 500 Dominator of 1955 vintage. Many more in between however,  my last one was a 74 Commando 850 Interstate which I had for 42 years of regular use, including many trips to the continent. Sold it last year with 67 thou on the clock and bought the CB500x to keep me on 2 wheels. Your dad has a very good selection, however my experience with an Atlas was of terrific vibrations, which the move to Commando's was never a problem.

Have you decided to join the CB500X fold yet ?  Best of luck.  Rosco. :012:

The Atlas isnt too bad on vibrations, hell it doesnt even leak oil. He Truly has them bikes sorted.
 Plan is for the cb500x providing money works out right, in the next few days ill know if i can buy one or have to wait till late or next year. I do want one and cant see anything beating it for my use case.

victorious-backstage