Author Topic: Rear shock installation problem  (Read 324 times)

Offline Bartay

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 CB500XA
Rear shock installation problem
on: January 13, 2021, 01:21:15 AM
I'm installing the level 2 upgrade on my 2019 cb500XA. This is in regards to installing the rear shock. I tried routing it in every which way and due to the angle of the valve coming off the shock (for the H/L damping controller), I cannot find a solution to making it fit that doesn’t kink the hose. The preload controller went through the left side fine.

None of the photos in the fitment instructions look like my 2019 bike, foot pegs etc. What I am assuming is the ABS controller is in a large 5” x 5” box up towards the seat just near the top where the shock connection is. None of the photos or instructions show or talk about getting around that box.

This first Photo is from below the bike looking up towards the top attachment point of the shock.

— I have tried putting the hose for the H/L damping control ABOVE Hose 1 — BELOW Hose 2 — BETWEEN Hoses 1 & 2. Due to the angle of the hose attachment to the shock, I cannot get any of the three routes to work. The best angle would between Hose 1 and Hose 2. HOWEVER the hose gets pushed into the edge of the metal frame holding the box containing what I think is the ABS. The shock stops about 3/4" from reaching the top mounting holes when it hits the metal frame.(Please see last photo)

What am doing wrong? I’ve tried all three routes multiple times.

This photo is from the right side of the bike looking straight into the space where I read the instructions to feed the hose through.

Is the angle of the hose coming out of the shock correct? Can it be adjusted? If I loosen that nut and swivel it, will it leak? Loss of pressure?

°°° I just noticed in step 7 of the fitment instructions, it looks like this connector comes out sideways then down, not upwards ? (It does look like a different machined part of the shock though)

As you can see, trying the position going between hose 1 and hose 2, the shock’s hose got jammed into that edge of the metal bracket holding the ABS block. It looks like metal sheathing under the rubber. It’s not leaking, now!  Has it been damaged?  Still useable?

Looking forward to finding out what I’m doing wrong.
Thanks for your help.
Bartay

Online JMo

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Re: Rear shock installation problem
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 05:54:27 AM
Hi Bartay - it appears in your third photo you've got the shock the wrong way round... the hose for the damper reservoir should exit at the 1 O'clock position and route backwards to position the reservoir above the right passenger footrest on the supplied bracket.

The preload adjuster hose then routes forward on the left side of the bike through the frame to mount on the [supplied] bracket above the stator/starter gear cover.

Hope that helps...

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Online Twempie

• CB500X Pro
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 05:00:59 PM
The shock, remote and adjuster can only go in one way. HS/LS adjusters right rear, remote adjuster front left of the bike.

I have a 2018 ABS bike (with the under-seat ABS unit working against the easy access), and also found the available instructions only somewhat useful, and need a refresh.

Make sure the rear end is supported like the photo.

Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 05:02:12 PM by Twempie

Offline Bartay

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 CB500XA
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 05:58:18 PM
Thank you Jenny,

The only thing I can offer in my self defense is I did know the damper reservoir went on the right side and the preload on the left. Just before installing the shock I put both back in their bubble wrap bags to protect them while fishing them through and then I got the shock reversed.

Not sure how long it would have been before I realized my dumb mistake. I will admit, it sure went through and fitted very quickly once reversed.

Thanks also for your input Twemple.
Bartay

Online Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 09:53:18 AM
Good help from Jenny as allways.

Superplasma

victorious-backstage