Author Topic: Tool Tube to Carry Extra Gas  (Read 829 times)

Offline HarrySeaward

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
Tool Tube to Carry Extra Gas
on: January 23, 2021, 07:47:06 PM
I rigged this together today. It's secured to the bike with heavy duty zip ties. And it's very secure. I'm hoping I can get vaccinated and take a long road trip this year, and I just want to carry a bit of backup gas--I doubt I'll ever need it, but it'll be nice to have some fuel in reserve for me or others in need.

I've got more pictures and can explain what I did in more detail if anyone's interested.

Most of it came off Amazon...
Tool tube ($20): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KYCD4M5
1500 ml fuel bottle ($22): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DKD533W
26" heavy duty zip ties ($16): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07545HGR5
The padding is just insulation for 1" pipe I got at a local hardware store for less than $2.
Total cost: $60 (but I still have a bag full of zip ties I can use for other stuff)

Offline Falang

• CB500X Member
Re: Tool Tube to Carry Extra Gas
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 08:46:11 AM
You might want to check if carrying gasoline in these cans on a motor vehicle it is legal where you are planning to ride. For the sake of another 30 km of range, you don't want to invalidate your insurance in case you get in an accident and, God forbid, it takes a hit. Or the bike sits in the sun long enough for the fuel to expand without a proper vent.

https://simplifiedsafety.com/blog/does-your-gas-can-meet-osha-requirements/

Offline Swanny

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 20 500X & CB1300
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 10:17:15 AM
You don't need more fuel, put some pork pies in there instead  :018:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline HarrySeaward

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 04:21:54 PM
*Originally Posted by Falang [+]
You might want to check if carrying gasoline in these cans on a motor vehicle it is legal where you are planning to ride. For the sake of another 30 km of range, you don't want to invalidate your insurance in case you get in an accident and, God forbid, it takes a hit. Or the bike sits in the sun long enough for the fuel to expand without a proper vent.

https://simplifiedsafety.com/blog/does-your-gas-can-meet-osha-requirements/

Interesting angle, thanks...I'm gonna pick up a can of TruFuel to see if that fits in my tube. I've read that the TruFuel cans are DOT approved containers, so I'll try it out. Otherwise, I think I'll take my chances with this fuel bottle. Bottles like these appear to be widely used and sold for motorcycle fuel storage, so I can't imagine there's a big safety issue with them. (Famous last words?)

Or maybe I'll just abandon the the idea and use the space to transport meat pies.

Offline Twempie

• CB500X Pro
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 04:29:15 PM

I wish we had Greggs over here, on the left side of the pond.

*Originally Posted by Swanny [+]
You don't need more fuel, put some pork pies in there instead  :018:

Offline C-rider

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: '13 CB500XA
Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 04:54:49 PM
A pretty simple and neatly done modification although I ran my tank dry once and got 505 km.  So I won't need the extra range for my riding.
2013 CB500XA  Serial # ...18!

Offline HarrySeaward

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 05:44:06 PM
*Originally Posted by C-rider [+]
A pretty simple and neatly done modification although I ran my tank dry once and got 505 km.  So I won't need the extra range for my riding.

My average (calculated) range-per-tank has been 281 miles (452 km). The best I've ever done is 311 miles (500 km). With that range, I'd have to be pretty negligent to run out of gas. But I can see it happening if I get in a mindset where I wanted to go "just one more town" between fill-ups in an area I'm unfamiliar with.

I think the more likely scenario for using this would be helping out another biker along the side of the road who ran out of gas.

Offline Mackinaw

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 06:21:46 PM
Nice idea!  I've been looking at similar tubes, for more storage.  I like the idea of having a small amount of actual "reserve" fuel to carry with you.  I really wish the display would just show miles to empty.

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 08:15:59 PM
I have two of the John Deere document tubes, one each side inside the Rally Raid Products side racks.
I discovered after I fitted them that RRP designed the racks to accommodate such tubes...they just bolt right on with stainless button head bolts and some body washers beneath the unlock nuts.
There seems to be two positions they can be fitted...camping fuel containers fit inside wrapped in a microfiber cloth and some latex gloves.
I only use one for fuel as a last resort,it contains maybe a litre, maybe 20 miles or so range.

Offline Swanny

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 20 500X & CB1300
Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 08:32:05 PM
*Originally Posted by Twempie [+]

I wish we had Greggs over here, on the left side of the pond.

I might be wrong but I'm not sure they sell pork pies

https://www.porkpie.co.uk/
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305: