Author Topic: Help with YSS emulator adjustments  (Read 414 times)

Offline Eddiegunks

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Help with YSS emulator adjustments
on: February 15, 2021, 06:36:32 AM
Hello all

I have a Cb500x with a YSS FORK KIT # YFCM37-KIT-01011 stock YSS supplied springs.

I also have the rear yss reload and rebound adjustable rear shock.

I only ride highway roads. I weigh 105kg.

I changed my fork fluid to motul 15w to help gain better rebound and reload adjustments.  The result is a very harsh ride.

Can someone help with a good starting point for a baseline adjustment for the emulator?  105kg rider, motul 15w, stock supplied YSS springs. (Sorry i did not note the writing in the spring when i changed the oil last time). Please let me know how many turns i should start with please also indicate if you are counting from fully in, clockwise, and the out x number of turn or if you are doing the opposite. Thanks.

If you all think that motul 10w is a better option then please give a good starting point for the emulator with 10w oil. Thanks

I have no idea where the local Thai mechanic set the emulator.

Thanks for the help.

Eddie

Offline Eddiegunks

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Re: Help with YSS emulator adjustments
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 02:05:01 AM
Ok. Thanks for all the responses.....ha ha ha!

Here is what i did:

I removed the dampening rod and drilled an extra two holes, for a total of six. I enlarged all the holes to 8mm. I chamfered the holes inside and out as best i could.

I then drilled an extra 2mm hole in the top of my emulator. I believe this is to improve the low speed compression (i forget what my buddy said it impoves. HS or LS)

I added the correct amount of motul 20w oil.

The teace tech emulators come with three small springs for the emulator. My YSS only has one.

The emulator was set at about 23mm by my arbitrary measuring system, with an unknown  spring rate....:).  I tightened it down to 21mm.  (Another friend said that fine tuning of this should be done very slowly as 1mm can be a significant change. This is what i only went 2mm from my starting  point. Lets hope i am close)

The six 8mm holes in the dampening rod transfers the compression dampening from the rod, to the emulator.  I think my harsh ride was due to the dampening rod not flowing will with the original four 5mm holes. That and there was a fair amount of sludge down in there, i i bet that was not helping much either. It appears that the last (three) times i have my fluid changed, the forks were not cleaned well enough. Like they say, if you want it done right......

I have only ridden it around the city so far. Today i will take it out on my usual roads and see how it feels and what changes i may need to make.   I may need to drill another 2 mm hole in the top of the emulator as well as change the compression settings on the emulator.

I hope i do not need to make those additional changes (i doubt i am that lucky) as to do that will require me to remove the spring and fish out the emulator. 

Oh. I am 105kg. I am using the YSS springs that came with my kit. They are NOT progressive springs. I do not know the spring rate, but i will include a photo of the writing on the spring so you know. If you know the rate please tell me.

I will attempt to add photos. The yellow and red marks show the additional hole i drilled in the emulator cap. The rest should be self explanatory.

I will update agin after my test ride.
Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 02:19:54 AM by Eddiegunks

Offline Eddiegunks

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 02:06:16 AM
Lets see if i can get the photos to show.....

Offline Eddiegunks

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 04:54:10 AM
Ok. I went for a test ride.

I still feel a bit of “chatter” in the front.  Maybe too
Much compression?  Idk. I am researching.

I believe the heavier oil helped with my preload. The steering  felt like it did not want to turn in as fast. My zip tie also confirmed i was not using all my travel. (Same preload setting i had before the changes).

I backed the preload out two turns. This helped my travel but it was not turning as good as it had before.

It felt like the rear rebound was too fast. I slowed it down two clicks. (fwiw i have installed a 120/160 rear spring on my YSS preload/rebound adjustable shock).

After the above two adjustments it is handling much better. I still feel it is a bit too harsh (kinda feels like “chatter” if that is the right word). I am not sure if the fix is less compression on my emulator or another 2mm hole in the top, or both.

Doing research now. Maybe i will pull it apart again today. Leta see how i feel. (The shop that drills my holes is closed on sunday. No drill. Not to worry, work at the shop costs like £0.40 so not worth buying a drill, bits etc etc)

Online Oyabun

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 09:32:02 AM
I haven't seen your post earlier, otherwise would have commented before. I'll have time to go through it in detail in the evening, and will react with my best knowledge.
But until then, Unfortunately the laser engraving on the spring doesn't help me. But if you measure total length, outer diameter, wire diameter and make a picture of the full spring (so I can count # of active coils) I can calculate spring rate.
Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 09:35:44 AM by Oyabun

Online Oyabun

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 11:35:16 AM
Found the info how to decipher the YSS spring code.
As per that yours is a 7N/mm spring.

Offline phattanglo

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X 2013
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 01:54:39 PM
I think you are on the right track as I am having similar problems to you but due to work I've not had much chance to figure it out.
I think one of the problems with the YSS emulators  as you suggest is the number of compression holes whereas on a Racetech valve as far as I'm aware there are 2 as standard with the option to drill more if you want a plusher ride.
The work you've done on your damper rods is as Oyabun suggested to me with regard to oil movement
Also the Racetech has the option of different rate springs as I feel the preload spring on the YSS is too strong and not allowing any fast rate movement on the forks and the insufficient number of compression holes is limiting the slow rate movement.
Someone sent me a very good guide on a facebook cb500 forum which explained things very simply but being simple myself I don't know how to get it onto here. :001:

Offline phattanglo

• CB500X Member
Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 02:00:39 PM by phattanglo

Offline phattanglo

• CB500X Member
Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 05:04:46 PM
It would be interesting to see if springs with a lower rate but the same dimensions were available for the YSS valves.

Offline Eddiegunks

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 07:14:52 PM
Thanks for the additional info (and spring rate)

victorious-backstage