Author Topic: 2016 LED headlight adjustment, RR L2 kit fitted. MOT requirement  (Read 189 times)

Offline Brainflex

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CB500XA
Hi, I have recently completed adding all the Rally Raid L2 to my bike but now the headlight is useless and will cause a MOT fail for being too high. I've tried to adjust it but run out of adjustment and is still way to high. How did you solve this?

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Re: 2016 LED headlight adjustment, RR L2 kit fitted. MOT requirement
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 06:08:41 AM
The Rally-Raid suspension raises the front and rear equally, so the beam pattern should be the same, just two inches higher overall.

If you can't dip it enough on the adjuster (and I'd be surprised if that was the case), if all else fails you can just drop the forks through the triple clamps say 10-20mm, which ought to be enough so that the beam adjuster is within range, MoT the bike, then re-set your fork height afterwards.

It's not an issue which has ever come up before as far as I'm aware - certainly not with the earlier Halogen headlight bikes - so perhaps your MoT station is being a bit pedantic with the LED beam pattern in comparison?

Hope that helps...

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Online Oyabun

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 07:59:15 AM
Dunno how beam pattern is measured at your station - unladen, or with rider mounted. In case you cannot reach proper settings with you on the bike, besides what Jenny suggests setting proper sag on front and rear suspension helps a lot. The last few mms (which can be a feet at the distance) can be set with playing a bit with tire pressures.
Hope this helps.
P. S. Of course I cannot find it now, but I'm pretty sure that @Manray has had the same issue with the headlight, and he finally solved it with adding rear preload.
Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 08:09:29 AM by Oyabun

Offline Brainflex

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CB500XA
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 07:06:13 AM
Hi, It was all good until I fitted the 19" front wheel. I tried to adjust alignment on the alignment machine during the MOT n couldn't get it low enough. I'll go for sliding the forks down next time n fit some aux lights for night riding.

Thanks all