Author Topic: Giant Loop Tank bags on sale  (Read 313 times)

Offline Chuck C.

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2021 CB500X
Giant Loop Tank bags on sale
on: February 21, 2021, 07:54:36 PM
FYI, GL has their tanks bags and pannier pockets on for 20% off right now.  I ordered the Fandango tank bag, the Diablo just seemed too small to be of much use, considering the price.   I went for the pocket panniers as well at the same time to help justify the shipping cost to Canada (I know strange logic but I was thinking about getting them anyway)

Cheers

https://www.giantloopmoto.com/shop

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
Re: Giant Loop Tank bags on sale
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 12:35:42 PM
Thanks Chuck, 20% off is a good thing.

I have a Diablo and while it is small, I find it perfect for my needs and it conforms well to the CB5X tank. But I'm sure you'll like the Fandango as well, the GL stuff is first rate. If you are new to the GL tank bags, you might want to consider putting some sort of protective film on the tank, under the mounting straps. I just bought the GL stuff, as it was easier, but it's expensive and I only used one of the many sheets in the package. I found that after one ride the straps wore almost completely through the unprotected paint on my tank, sorta surprising. I've had the protective film in place now for over a year and it's holding up fine. If you just leave the straps on all the time, you won't really notice the film, but if you remove the mounting base (straps), the film will look pretty ugly.

I would be interested in your opinion on the pannier pockets after you get a chance to use them. I ordered a set when I bought my Diablo and decided that I didn't see a real use for them, sent them back. I do like the idea.

https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/vinyl-protective-film/
Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 12:37:10 PM by ncroadtoad
Just damn happy to be here...

Offline Chuck C.

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2021 CB500X
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 04:30:46 PM
Thanks for the tip on the tank protection, I amended my order from GL to include them.
I'll let you know about the pockets.  I'm hoping they can attach easily and securely to the grab rails or my tail bag, allowing more storage capacity and flexibility.  If I do eventually get an upper guard they could attach there also.  I don't anticipate attaching them to the tank bag.

:028:

Offline Twempie

• CB500X Pro
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 05:20:53 PM
*Originally Posted by ncroadtoad [+]
Thanks Chuck, 20% off is a good thing.

I have a Diablo and while it is small, I find it perfect for my needs and it conforms well to the CB5X tank. But I'm sure you'll like the Fandango as well, the GL stuff is first rate. If you are new to the GL tank bags, you might want to consider putting some sort of protective film on the tank, under the mounting straps. I just bought the GL stuff, as it was easier, but it's expensive and I only used one of the many sheets in the package. I found that after one ride the straps wore almost completely through the unprotected paint on my tank, sorta surprising. I've had the protective film in place now for over a year and it's holding up fine. If you just leave the straps on all the time, you won't really notice the film, but if you remove the mounting base (straps), the film will look pretty ugly.

I would be interested in your opinion on the pannier pockets after you get a chance to use them. I ordered a set when I bought my Diablo and decided that I didn't see a real use for them, sent them back. I do like the idea.

https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/vinyl-protective-film/

Do you have a photo of what the bottom of the bag looks like? Iíve used tank bags for years and never experienced the paint loss that you describe, and really interested because Iíve thought about getting a GL tankbag. Thanks.

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 09:04:39 PM
*Originally Posted by Twempie [+]

Do you have a photo of what the bottom of the bag looks like? Iíve used tank bags for years and never experienced the paint loss that you describe, and really interested because Iíve thought about getting a GL tankbag. Thanks.

Hey Twempie, I'm with ya. I've had small scratches before, but this was the real deal.

This harness is the problem, especially where I circled it. Depending on what type of bike you mounted it on, you might be able to tighten it more and reduce the movement. But on the CB5X your only real option for the front strap is around the steering stem. Mine is about as tight as I can make it, but it moves.

The bottom of the bag isn't an issue, it doesn't touch the bike.

Even with this criticism, I consider the GL bag the best I've used. I probably wouldn't want to put it on my coffee bike, but that's not what I've got.

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 09:16:16 PM
*Originally Posted by Chuck C. [+]
Thanks for the tip on the tank protection, I amended my order from GL to include them.
I'll let you know about the pockets.  I'm hoping they can attach easily and securely to the grab rails or my tail bag, allowing more storage capacity and flexibility.  If I do eventually get an upper guard they could attach there also.  I don't anticipate attaching them to the tank bag.

:028:

Thanks Chuck, I'd appreciate it. On the tail is where I had intended to use mine, I just couldn't figure out how to make them work. I too have purchased an upper tank guard since I had, and returned, my bags. I was wondering it there might be a mounting option there.

Offline Twempie

• CB500X Pro
Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 09:34:07 PM
*Originally Posted by ncroadtoad [+]
Hey Twempie, I'm with ya. I've had small scratches before, but this was the real deal.

This harness is the problem, especially where I circled it. Depending on what type of bike you mounted it on, you might be able to tighten it more and reduce the movement. But on the CB5X your only real option for the front strap is around the steering stem. Mine is about as tight as I can make it, but it moves.

The bottom of the bag isn't an issue, it doesn't touch the bike.

Even with this criticism, I consider the GL bag the best I've used. I probably wouldn't want to put it on my coffee bike, but that's not what I've got.
Coffee bike. LMFAO.

victorious-backstage