Author Topic: Swingarm Chain Slider Guide Guard CB500X XA-H  (Read 261 times)

Offline Grizzly

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Swingarm Chain Slider Guide Guard CB500X XA-H
on: February 22, 2021, 09:06:26 AM
Hi All, I'm changing the front sprocket for a 16 tooth.
The chain and sprockets look in good condition, but the plastic guide which protects the swinging arm is quite worn.
I would like to replace it while stripped down, but am struggling to find a compatible part on line.
In your experience, is a pattern part available or will I need a genuine Honda part? Any further details would be a great help.
Thanks in advance.
Paul

Offline Steve T

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB5X,F8GS,600Alp
Re: Swingarm Chain Slider Guide Guard CB500X XA-H
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 02:04:38 PM
I've only ever seen OEM guides when looking in the past for my Hondas. Got one last year for the 600 Alp - was around 30 delivered from David Silver spares.

Please note that David Silvers only deal with older bike models.

Steve T

:018:
British Born
Raised in Wales
Living in Scotland
Still British 1st though

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 03:56:34 PM
Hi Grizzly - you do get aftermarket sliders etc. for dirt bikes (ie. bikes which wear them quickly) from Polisport and the like, but not generally for more regular road-biased bikes unfortunately...

I see you're in the UK, and in my experience there is a huge difference in OEM parts prices between UK/EU (via Fowlers for example) and the US - especially body panels and other plastic parts - most usually in the favour of buying them from a US retailer, even if you have to factor in a bit of shipping too.

The chain slider is a case in point - Fowlers want 65 for one, which is obscene to be honest... the same part on the Babbitts parts-finder is $15, and they are even cheaper if you have a 2019-on model!

https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/hon/568d489687a8661554ae7a79/swingarm

Always check one of the US online parts suppliers like Babbitts or Partzilla before you pay the UK/EU price.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x
Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 03:59:33 PM by JMo
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Grizzly

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 05:24:24 PM
Hi Steve T and JMo
Thanks for your replies. I was surprised to see the wear on the guide. The bike is new to me and chain adjustment may have been neglected in the past. I'm using lockdown to go through it thoroughly.
Fowlers of Bristol are only 30 miles from me. I checked their website and had to sit down when I saw the price. 😉
Thank you for the link to the website in the USA. As you say, even with carriage, there is a huge difference.
Take care. Paul