Author Topic: Mitas E-07/Conti TKC80 or Shinko 705?  (Read 870 times)

Online adamSFO

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2021 CB500X
Mitas E-07/Conti TKC80 or Shinko 705?
on: March 05, 2021, 09:30:41 PM
Hi folks,

I've about had it with the OEM tires on my '21 and want to get something more dirt- (and road-) worthy on soon.  While the vast majority of my riding is on (badly) paved roads, dirt is on the horizon as winter recedes in the Sierra Nevada.  Nothing too crazy, just gravel, fire roads, forest service roads and such with perhaps easier trails in OHV areas mixed in.  But, as I do not have much experience riding in dirt, especially not recently, I feel a more grabby tire would be beneficial to better keep me planted when I inevitably do something boneheaded.

Having read the entire internet's-worth of tire reviews and opinions, I think I have narrowed it down to one of:

- Mitas E-07 (Dakar maybe) rear / Continental TKC80 front
- Shinko 705 front & rear

I'd just go with the E07/TKC80 combo, which seems more than capable for the type of dirt I will see, but I'm slightly concerned with how those ride on the road.  Although I am not dragging pegs, I do like to get a bit sporty when conditions allow, and any pronounced noise/vibration at highway speeds would be a bummer, as it's usually 50-100 miles of freeway riding to get to the Good Stuff.

Can anyone who has/has had the E07/TCK80 combo comment on their road manners, especially compared to either the OEM tires or 705s?  If unsuitable, I'll just get Shinko 705s, which are pleasingly cheaper as well, although I value performance more than price here.

Thanks much,
     Adam

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Re: Mitas E-07/Conti TKC80 or Shinko 705?
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 06:34:45 AM
Just put TKC80s on front and rear - they are excellent tyres on this bike - on road and off.

Unless you're an animal you should get 5000+miles out of the rear and 7000+miles out of the front.

Jx

It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Online adamSFO

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 04:41:10 PM
Thanks for the reply JMo (your posts are my go-to on all things CB500X)

*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
Just put TKC80s on front and rear - they are excellent tyres on this bike - on road and off.

Unless you're an animal you should get 5000+miles out of the rear and 7000+miles out of the front.

Jx

An animal I am certainly not, just concerned by the many reports of short life on the TKC80 rear.  Tellingly though, I haven't really heard anyone say anything bad about the handling, either on- or off-road.

I guess it would be OK'ish, provided I skill & tool up to do the changes myself.  Paying San Francisco shop rates for tire changes (>$100/each) a couple times a year is not an appealing prospect.  I just picked my bike up after Thanksgiving and hit 3200mi yesterday already (lucky me to be able to ride so much during what passes for winter here in the bay area!).

Thanks,
     Adam

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 05:59:22 PM
*Originally Posted by adamSFO [+]
Thanks for the reply JMo (your posts are my go-to on all things CB500X)

An animal I am certainly not, just concerned by the many reports of short life on the TKC80 rear.  Tellingly though, I haven't really heard anyone say anything bad about the handling, either on- or off-road.

I guess it would be OK'ish, provided I skill & tool up to do the changes myself.  Paying San Francisco shop rates for tire changes (>$100/each) a couple times a year is not an appealing prospect.  I just picked my bike up after Thanksgiving and hit 3200mi yesterday already (lucky me to be able to ride so much during what passes for winter here in the bay area!).

Thanks,
     Adam

Hi Adam - the internet can be a tedious thing... most of the 'reports' of TKC80s wearing quickly are either not actual users experience (ie. simply repeating what they 'heard' on the internet), and/or when typically used on much larger, heavier and more powerful bikes - typically big GSs and KTMs...

I've ridden a LOT of miles on various CB500Xs over the years, tried a good number of the more premium brand tyres (currently on a set of Michelin Anakee Wilds) and still feel that the Continental TKC80 offers the best compromise if you genuinely want a tyre that is really good on the road, and really good off the road too - the road handing is excellent for such a blocky tyre (arguably due to the 'sporty' compound they use, which is what leads to them wearing more quickly than the harder budget brands) - but that is the trade off for decent grip and traction in all conditions.

for info. The TKC80 can appear to wear quite quite quickly initially - the first 2500 miles or so, then it settles down into a mid-wear pattern as I call it, where by around 5000 miles of mixed on/off terrain riding, they are usually pretty worn out by 5000 miles for off-road grip, but equally perfectly serviceable for continued road miles.

As an example, during a big trip in 2018 (ride report here), I managed to get 7000 miles out of a rear from California to Toronto - and certainly considered them more than ready to change by then, prior to more serious off-road riding... however, I elected to cover a further 2000 miles on them (so just under 9000 in total) back to Colorado, so as not to waste that initial wear on a new set.

photo. 9000 miles - it ain't utterly dead, but admittedly no longer any good off-road ;o)

Ultimately if you want to ride 'spiritedly' on the road, and also have proper off-road traction too, I still think these are the best genuine 50/50 option for this bike - and most other ADV bikes too to be honest.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x
Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 06:00:28 PM by JMo
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Online adamSFO

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 03:47:24 PM
Thanks for the extra detail Jenny.  That's a good point about a lot of the TCK80 reviews being from folks on much larger bikes (indeed I think I read that they're fitted standard on some of them).

I was mistaken on the cost at my dealer to fit/balance them - they quoted $145 for the pair, whether or not I buy the tires there (which I won't, as the set is >$100 more than online, or even at the local CycleGear which has them in stock 2 blocks from the dealer!).  This seems like an OK price given where I live (SF), and that I have no tire tools, or skills, or space to put said tools.

So, a pair of TCK80s it is, after I get a little more wear out of the crappy OEM ones.

Just to confirm, it's 150/70B17 that I want, since they don't come in a 160/60-17, right?

Best regards,
    Adam

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 04:29:02 PM
*Originally Posted by adamSFO [+]
Thanks for the extra detail Jenny.  That's a good point about a lot of the TCK80 reviews being from folks on much larger bikes (indeed I think I read that they're fitted standard on some of them).

I was mistaken on the cost at my dealer to fit/balance them - they quoted $145 for the pair, whether or not I buy the tires there (which I won't, as the set is >$100 more than online, or even at the local CycleGear which has them in stock 2 blocks from the dealer!).  This seems like an OK price given where I live (SF), and that I have no tire tools, or skills, or space to put said tools.

So, a pair of TCK80s it is, after I get a little more wear out of the crappy OEM ones.

Just to confirm, it's 150/70B17 that I want, since they don't come in a 160/60-17, right?

Best regards,
    Adam

Hi Adam - I'd consider using a different retailer for buying and fitting tyres - main dealer workshop rates are very high (particularly in big cities like San Francisco) - you ought to be able purchase tyres and have them fitted at somewhere like Cycle Gear for significantly less... as I recall they charge $25 a tyre if you purchase from them*

*google search, yep: https://www.cyclegear.com/tire-install-service - but be aware that is to loose wheels, not ride-in/out.

And yes, if you're looking at a thicker all-terrain tread tyre, then a 150/70 size is essentially the same overall width as a 160/60 street tyre, and fits on the stock rear wheel perfectly.

Jx
Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 04:30:29 PM by JMo

Online adamSFO

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 01:48:03 AM
Ah even better - I found a local place that can get the tires cheaper than online, and they offer classes to learn to remove wheels and mount tires, after which you can rent their space/equipment for a very reasonable rate for future tire changes. 

Which is perfect for me, wanting to develop maintenance skills, but not having the space (or $$$$$) for large specialty tools like pneumatic tire mounters and such. 

With the "JMo special" (RRP skid plate, barkbusters, TKC80s :) complete, and most important of all the dirt skills course I just signed up for, I should be all set for some unpaved adventures this summer.
Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 01:51:37 AM by adamSFO

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 07:26:08 PM
Nice one - it's great if you've got the access to tools and can learn a few new skills while you're at it!

If you've not seen it already, consider the Giant Loop annual Hot Springs weekend in Oregon at the beginning of June this year - there are rides suitable for all bikes/experience, and some fun stuff in the evenings too. There ought to be a few fellow CBers going along this year - and it's a lovely ride there and back too of course if you have a little time.

Best of luck with those tires - don't swear too much ;o)

Jenny x

victorious-backstage