Author Topic: Clutch compression lever in engine casing  (Read 441 times)

Offline Murray

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • bit clunky
  • Bike: CB500X
Clutch compression lever in engine casing
on: April 03, 2021, 11:39:41 AM
Hello All, I had a thread about 18months ago regarding a clutch rattle, & the farce trying to get it sorted on warranty!
I now have a related problem with the clutch compression shaft that comes out of the engine casing.. The Tolerance (Gap) between the cable clutch lever & the Casing is too big. So I need to remove the side casing to check the position & torque setting of the clutch compression Thingy?
Is there any Photo's available of the casing removed showing the internal side of the casing & the clutch compression Thingy? Tried searching on Internet but cannot find anything with a reasonable definition.
Hope you can help. Murray.

Offline timur

• CB500X Master
Re: Clutch compression lever in engine casing
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 12:03:02 PM
Hi Murray! Here are the fotos of my 2017 CB clutch case:

In 2019 versions things are bit different though, instead of pushing rod it's a sort of pull rod.

Regards

Offline Murray

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • bit clunky
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 01:18:06 PM
Hi Timur, Having trouble, navigating this site!, I sent a reply to you but do not know if you received it, I'll repeat.. ( sorry if you got it before)... Tried to upload photo's with no luck.
On your image of casing. (Thanks) I could not see what actually compresses the clutch plates? My idea ...(if like my other bike) is to adjust the clutch compression "device" to reduce the upper tolerance on the cable lever on the casing. Wish I could upload  images ..would make my problem clearer.
Murray.
Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 01:19:41 PM by Murray

Offline timur

• CB500X Master
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 02:48:10 PM
*Originally Posted by Murray [+]
Hi Timur, Having trouble, navigating this site!, I sent a reply to you but do not know if you received it, I'll repeat.. ( sorry if you got it before)... Tried to upload photo's with no luck.
On your image of casing. (Thanks) I could not see what actually compresses the clutch plates? My idea ...(if like my other bike) is to adjust the clutch compression "device" to reduce the upper tolerance on the cable lever on the casing. Wish I could upload  images ..would make my problem clearer.
Murray.
Cheers Murray! The part that compress the clutch is this kind of ball end rod that can be seen on upper image in a centre of clutch cover. It's very short - only 15mm or so - it pushes the clutch plate via bearing (can be seen on lower image). However AFAIK there was some issues with clutch lever bearings (seen on upper image) - they can move out of their seat making impossible to adjust the clutch free play. Try to search on forum - there must be some thread speaking about this problem. I think your issue comes from there (if I understood well the problem).

Regards

Offline Murray

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • bit clunky
Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 03:33:42 PM
Thanks Timur for your fast response, Still not sure what is causing the problem. The clutch cable lever &
steel rod/shaft clearance is 3mm from the casing, should be around 0.5mm & almost touching the casing oil seal.
 your pics seems to show a Spring? at the bottom of the rod/shaft, not sure if this "spring" is supposed to be pushing or pulling the rod. Hopped to get a better idea of the problem before I pulled the casing side off.
Thanks for your assistance.
P.S. is there a gasket needed for assembly?
Murray.

Offline timur

• CB500X Master
Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 05:10:58 PM
*Originally Posted by Murray [+]
Thanks Timur for your fast response, Still not sure what is causing the problem. The clutch cable lever &
steel rod/shaft clearance is 3mm from the casing, should be around 0.5mm & almost touching the casing oil seal.
 your pics seems to show a Spring? at the bottom of the rod/shaft, not sure if this "spring" is supposed to be pushing or pulling the rod. Hopped to get a better idea of the problem before I pulled the casing side off.
Thanks for your assistance.
P.S. is there a gasket needed for assembly?
Murray.
I think this thread is describing your problem:

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,2914.0.html

It seems that the issue lies in actuator lever bearing (or sleeve) - to be honest I don't know how difficult can be replace those bearings or sleeves. The spring you see on a picture is actuator lever return spring - to remove the actuator you just need to extract pusher rod (this little thing with ball end) - you just need to pull it out of the clutch case. Once you removed the pusher actuator arm is can be extracted pulling it out of the clutch cover.

Regarding clutch cover dismount - it's quite easy but you need to drain the oil. It haven't a gasket - just a silicone sealer. You'll need to scratch out old sealant with something made of softer material - plastic or similar.

To resume - it's an easy task but I don't know how what to do with actuator lever sleeve.

Hope this helps

Regards

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 09:56:02 PM
Yup. The issue has been identified as the sliding bering of the shaft might  dislocated from its place in the clutch cover, causing increased radial play and difficulty in actuating the clutch.
If you have enough space and a few old tires, you can also manage without draining the oil. Tilting the bike enough on it's left side effectively moves oil to the stator side and enables removing the clutch cover without draining engine oil.
Earlier years had gaskets installed on side covers (my`13 bike did) but later models did not (my 16 bike had only silicon sealant.
The rest is as Timur described.
Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 09:57:18 PM by Oyabun

Offline Murray

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • bit clunky
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 10:21:24 AM
 Oyabun, Thanks for your input, This is the result of a new clutch that had to be fitted on Warranty (6 months from new, with a Rattle) by the main dealer in Shipley UK.
 The suggestion you make, makes perfect sense. And nothing like the simple clutch compression mechanism on my other bike.
 I've have tried to download Images of the issue with no luck as yet.. apparently my emails don't match. So today I'll make another attempt.

Best Regards.