Author Topic: Rear shock preload setting  (Read 319 times)

Offline jimmydsmith7

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Rear shock preload setting
on: April 06, 2021, 06:45:55 PM
Hi, I have a new to me 2013 CB500x. Trying to set preload on rear shock. Manual say there should be a punch mark on the adjuster at setting of 3 and it should be even with the shock bolt on the left side. My punch mark is even with the shock bolt on the right side. ( side opposite the chain) . 
  My question is, has the shock been adjusted previously or is this the factory setting of 3??

Offline jimmydsmith7

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Re: Rear shock preload setting
Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 04:03:02 PM
Come on, no one has an answer for me!!
If you have adjusted your preload to the number 9 setting, can you tell me where the mark is located. Could it be that the shock is at setting 9 and that is why the punch mark is 180 degrees from where the manual says the stock setting of 3 is?
Or, could it be that my bike has the shock setting on 3 and the shock is installed opposite what the manual states is normal.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 02:44:43 PM
Being the bike is used and 8 years old maybe a previous owner removed the shock and reinstalled backwards so now the dot is on the right side--no big deal-  not sure if the adjuster going 180 degrees anyway I wouldn't worry about it if the bike rides OK leave it as is if not start clicking either way to find where you like it and don't worry about what number it's on
Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 02:45:42 PM by motorboy
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline jimmydsmith7

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 04:28:23 PM
Only reason I ask, is I dont want to go from #9 position to position #1, as I have read that is not good for the shock internals. Guess I will just assume its at setting #3 and go from there.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 05:42:55 PM
They (Honda) say there is nine positions I think more like five-the manual should say which way is up or down -clockwise -counter clock wise-on the pre 2019 there is a cover on the bottom of the shock you could be able to take a measurement of the bottom of the cover to a fixed point that should tell you which way to go
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

victorious-backstage