Author Topic: Luggage decision for my X  (Read 93706 times)

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
Re: Luggage decision for my X
Reply #130 on: April 30, 2017, 01:20:07 AM
Heck you could mount this whole setup on top of a couple of hard cases and have a virtual moving van !  :033:

Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 01:22:27 AM by CB-500-X

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
Reply #131 on: April 30, 2017, 06:46:54 PM
*Originally Posted by jsonder [+]
I guess that this is my off-road background sneaking out.  Sometime the bike goes/slides over you.  That is when legs get broken by hard bags.  The ammo box versions are the worst for this. 

My dirtbike has a rack that lets me lever it with a free leg; as long as I have one of those I'm ok with getting out from under the bike.

:028:

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
Reply #132 on: April 30, 2017, 06:54:45 PM
*Originally Posted by CB-500-X [+]
Heck you could mount this whole setup on top of a couple of hard cases and have a virtual moving van !  :033:

Don't put ideas in my head.  :745:

Offline LightRider

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: Honda CB500X '13
Reply #133 on: May 01, 2017, 03:41:11 PM
*Originally Posted by orath [+]
Hi, I am a keen photographer too and have been coming to the same conclusion as you, and the exact same boxes. I currently have a very lightweight soft luggage setup based off the Rally Raid luggage rack. It works great and can certainly provide the volume of storage I need but I am concerned about security with soft luggage. Not only do I want to keep my camera and other photography kit safe, I also want somewhere to keep my riding gear safe and out of site when I am on location for a shoot and don't want to be wearing all that extra gear.

Thinking about these sort of needs can you provide some more details on your experience using the Givi Outback boxes for this sort of thing? Especially the 58L top box: how does affect handling etc? I think I would go for that first since it looks like it can hold a helmet, trousers and jacket if needed when I want to leave them behind but it looks massive!

Thanks!

Hi Orath!

I'm VERY happy with my decision to go with the Givi Outback cases.  I just came back from riding over 1,000 miles to to Horizons Unlimited adventure motorcycle weekend in Virginia with zero trouble:  http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/events/virginia-2017.  Having said that, I was careful to pack the heavier items in the 37L side cases.  They are perfect size for standard backpacks.  I had camera and clothes in one pannier.  Laptop and food/cookware went in other pannier.  All the lighter stuff went in the 58L top box.  It is the perfect width to hold my tent (lightweight backpacker style), sleeping pad, sleeping back, and Helix camping chair.  I had no trouble carving the hills and corners of Virginia, flying down the straightaways in South Carolina at 70+, or zipping over the gravel state park roads of North Carolina (of course my new Shinko 705 tires helped with this last part). 

Having said all that, I would be lying if I told you adding the luggage didn't have any affect on handling.  It certainly puts more weight up and back.  But what I'm saying is, I had no trouble adapting to it.  And I never felt like it was going to cause any issues with handling, whether at highways speeds, or rounding corners.  Where I notice the weight the most is at slow speeds, like when you come to a stop light or are circling a parking lot looking for a space.  Nothing you can't handle of course, but it's noticeable.

On the photography side, here's what I do for photo shoots.  My large ThinkTank backpack camera bag fits in the topbox with 2 pro bodies, 14-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-20 f2.8, 2 flashes, and accessories.  I strap my tripod and a lightstand or two across the seat.  When I arrive, backpack comes out...helmet, jacket, gloves, gps, and magnetic tank bag go in.  I can leave it parked anywhere and feel totally secure that all my gear is safely locked up and out of sight.  It works perfectly for me.  In this case, the weight of the camera back in the top box is definitely noticeable.  But again, causes no problems for me.  I think here in the US, we get all weird about performance and handling.  We forget that in foreign countries, parents carry all 5 of their children to school on their little Honda 125cc bikes, or use it to transport huge drums of water from the river back to their house.  If you're not driving like an idiot, it's not a problem!

Note that with the 58L top-box installed, the pannier lids DO bump into the top-box when opening and closing.  But there's plenty of side-to-side "wiggle" on the Givi pannier lids, so it's not a problem at all.  You simply unlock the pannier, open the lid several inches, it reaches the plastic angle-cut on the front corner of the bottom of the top-box, you keep lifting, and it smoothly slides to the side until it's past the top box, then returns to center position the rest of the way up.  Also note that if you order the 2-pannier set, it comes with a 3rd matching locking mechanism!  It took me about 10 minutes to replace the locking mechanism in the top-box with the one that came with the pannier set.  Now all three pieces of luggage use the same key!  How cool is that?!?

Here's my bike all packed up with panniers and top-box, ready for the long ride home.  I stayed off all interstates and had a BLAST!  It took me 8 hours, but I stopped often in little towns along the way, and pulled over to see the sights.  :-) 

I totally get the arguments for soft-luggage.  If I wasn't carrying 10K in camera gear to professional photo shoots, I'd certainly have considered soft luggage.  But the security provided by these hard-cases fit my particular needs.  Different strokes for different folks.  To each, their own, I say.  Hope this helps...
"Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape!"

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God-zilla
Reply #134 on: May 01, 2017, 06:48:06 PM
 :033:

Offline Bali Davo

• CB500X Member
Reply #135 on: May 02, 2017, 03:16:42 AM
*Originally Posted by LightRider [+]

Note that with the 58L top-box installed, the pannier lids DO bump into the top-box when opening and closing.  But there's plenty of side-to-side "wiggle" on the Givi pannier lids, so it's not a problem at all.  You simply unlock the pannier, open the lid several inches, it reaches the plastic angle-cut on the front corner of the bottom of the top-box, you keep lifting, and it smoothly slides to the side until it's past the top box, then returns to center position the rest of the way up. 

Hi Light rider,
I assume these Givi (top opening) OUTBACK panniers do not allow users to open the pannier lid at both ends  - which would enable you to remove the lid altogether :261:

I am not intending to detract from your setup, as it surely is a great setup, but I am just pointing out a consideration that I have for my next setup ..,

That when a pannier is able to be opened from both ends

..., it becomes a very handy feature to have for example,
      - for times when have something long strapped across your seat that obscures the pannier lids ..,
      - then you can still get your pannier lid off without unstrapping the item on the seat , ie; by opening the pannier lid at both ends and sliding the pannier lid
        off in a sideways & outwards direction .

- Or if you have a tall item , you can remove the lid and still load it in the pannier.

- Or perhaps you are sitting on your bike and just want to quickly get something out of the pannier ..,
        You can open it without getting off your bike via the front pannier lock (note; some other designs will only allow opening from the rear end of the pannier) 
      :002:
Old but not too old

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God-zilla
Reply #136 on: May 02, 2017, 03:29:14 AM
I can leave it parked anywhere and feel totally secure that all my gear is safely locked up and out of sight.  It works perfectly for me.

That is a great looking setup there LightRider !
- or as they would say back home -
That's a niiiice looking motor-truck ya'll got there LightRider !

Offline Lysdexic

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500XA
Reply #137 on: May 02, 2017, 11:09:38 AM
Being a cheapskate and also loving the lean look of the 500x tail hard bags with the accompanying mounts are anathema to me. I like to take the bags off when I'm around town. This seems to work the best for me so far - the bags zip open wider to accommodate helmets etc while the Givi top box acts as a backrest for my wife. The only problem is I like to hang them under the seat so she doesn't have to sit on the seams and that doesn't work with the grab rails so I delete those for trips out of town when we use full luggage. A bungy cord on each side from the footpeg mount to the Givi mount keeps the bags in place and away from the wheel. http://tinyurl.com/l9jdn46

Offline Thisll do

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X 2016 L3RR
Reply #138 on: June 23, 2017, 02:53:23 PM
Another happy Hepco& Becker user.
As I had 30 & 40 Ltr. Junior panniers sitting in the loft, and I wasn't getting on too well with Honda's own panniers, I ordered up the H&B support frames.
At first sight they were rather different from the older H&B frames, not having indicator mounts and using some wierd "Dzus type" fixings, but as I hoped my 15 year old boxes still clip straight on. Rummaging around in a box of old keys, I even found the right ones!
My only gripe is that the are mounted unnecessarily far out from the bike, and they stick out further than I would like behind. However, there is excellent clearance between box and silencer and the top of the boxes is almost level with the pillion seat, and being set further back does allow apillion to have room for their feet.
Having read other H&B posts on this thread I'm investigating the Kappa/Givi indicator relocating kit.
I am very impressed with the firmness of fit and lack of wobble, and the strength built into the frame design. Even those wierd fastners work!

Offline HenningSkj

• CB500X Newbie
Reply #139 on: September 06, 2018, 04:07:33 PM
Agreed with Wouken.  I went with Givi Outback for the security.  I'm a photo buff and wanted somewhere secure to keep my gear.  I also live in the hot and humid southeastern US.  So I went with the bare aluminum to keep heat damage to my equipment at a minimum.  I'm very happy with the products and the ease at which I can switch out components as needed.  One thing I'll point out that the folks at Givi USA told me (but was NOT spelled out on any of the supplier's websites) was that if you buy the double-pannier set instead of buying individual left and right panniers, it comes with a third matching lock.  That way, you can swap out the lock that comes with the top case and have one key that fits them ALL!!!  All my Givi products were ordered from Motostorm.it.  I like to order local when I can.  But some of this stuff was outrageously priced locally!  I'm very pleased with the service I received from them.

2013 CB500X
Givi 58L Outback topcase
Givi 37L Outback pannier set
Givi mounting plate and brackets
Givi Engine Guards
Givi windscreen
Givi kickstand plate

First of all, I must say that LightRider's contribution to this thread is absolutely phenomenal! Simply the fact that you list the mods on your bike, along with one h*ll of a picture....amazing! This is the type of culture that makes a great forum take notes, everybody!
:460: :037:

As a student in Norway, I am primarily restricted by a tight budget and a constantly changing weather. I've therefore decided to go with the SW-Motech TRAX ADV system, as it is cheap, 100% waterproof and cheaper than it's main competitor the Givi Outback Trekker system.

Cosmetically, I also want a matt black look. Not that there's anything wrong with aluminium panniers, but when my bike is matt black I find it looking a bit more "sleek" and complete.

However, I would love for LightRider to give his thoughts on choosing the right size for the panniers. Just like LightRider, I also do a lot of photography, often carrying two houses, 4-5 lenses, a flash, etc. to different events. Even though I mainly do press photography, "blue lights"-news (Norwegian saying :105: ) and so on, the need to carry my equipment in a weather-sealed, theft-proof way is  e s s e n t i a l.

The only thing keeping me from buying the system is the fact that I am unsure wheather or not to choose 37L or 45L panniers. Same goes for the top box.

So please will LightRider (or anyone else with experience on this matter) share their thoughts on choosing pannier size?

:440: