Author Topic: Advanced Riding  (Read 5491 times)

Offline roboprop

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Honda CB500X red
Advanced Riding
on: August 08, 2013, 10:21:20 PM
Hi guys
Anyone had any experience of doing advanced biker training? Any recommendations for a firm in the Shropshire Area ?

Cheers
Gary

Offline Flamez

• CB500X Newbie
Re: Advanced Riding
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 06:35:29 AM
Hi have you considered http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/

Offline roboprop

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 10:41:46 AM
Thanks Flamez. I am going to book a session with the North Wales Police on the bike safe scheme  :121:

All the best Gary

Offline fisherman

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: cb500x
Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 08:02:55 PM
I would highly recommend that you join your local group of the Institute of Advanced Motorcyclist.They are not a commercial organisation and have only their members at heart.
Top class ongoing training at much less than any professional outfit is going to charge,and a good social side too.When you pass the Advanced Test most insurance companies will give you a discount and you will also enjoy your riding much more,and be a lot safer.

Offline roboprop

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 10:43:04 PM
Many thanks Fisherman - will check them out too.
Has anyone had any road handling issues with the X?

Cheers
Gary

Offline retrorob53

• CB500X Pro
  • dont ride faster than your angel can fly.
  • Bike: CB500x
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 08:35:12 PM
Can I just add my bit re the IAM. I have been riding for 52 years, never stopping. As a youngster I rode thousands of miles on Brit iron, commuting and for pleasure. Did not have my first car until I was 23. When I came to Cornwall to retire aged 60 I rode a BMW R850R. I was at home on London roads and the home counties byways, but the lanes in Cornwall scared me and I nearly gave up. As a final throw of the dice I decided to try the training offered by the IAM. Paid my fee ( today its 138) for all the training you need, be that three sessions or thirty, the manual, a social club and the test fee. I was allocated a trainer, they call them observers who had not been born when I rode my first BSA C11G but he quickly put me at my ease and started to work on my skills or lack of them. Six months later after 12 sessions I took and passed my advanced riding test. The examiner was a police class one rider and it was a great feeling to pass. I was now faster, smoother and much much safer. It is six years since that pass day and I cover many more miles than I ever did, holiday abroad with the club ,Cornwall Advanced Motorcyclist, enjoy ride outs and the friendship of a great bunch of riders. If you want advanced training I really believe there is no better value for money than the IAM skill for life programme. If you want to know the name of your local club tell me where you live and I should be able to give you contact details.   

Offline roboprop

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 10:11:44 AM
:460: Thanks a lot mate very helpful - sorry for the delay in reply. I would like to join the North Wales group.
All the best
Gary

Offline retrorob53

• CB500X Pro
  • dont ride faster than your angel can fly.
  • Bike: CB500x
Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 05:17:49 PM
http://www.nwam.org.uk/  this is the North Wales Group, go for it we ride in all weathers.

Offline roboprop

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 09:28:05 PM
Great  - hope to meet up with you soon!  :152:

All the best
Gary

Offline tasso

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: Honda CB500X RR3
Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 07:25:29 PM
I've just joined Devon IAM group. Tomorrow is a Rider development session in Exeter with promise of great Adventure talk.

I'm quite curious what the training will be like, test but really looking forward for Rookie ride ;) as I did feel like rookie when filling the forms... "How many years you have your full license?" ehm... 0  :305: