Author Topic: Whistling helmet!  (Read 13145 times)

Offline roboprop

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Honda CB500X red
Whistling helmet!
on: August 21, 2013, 09:48:22 PM
Hi everyone
I bought an AVG helmet (100 ) when I got my X. it whistles terribly on the right side no matter how I adjust the vents and it is driving me mad :233:. I thought it would improve but it hasn't . Is this a common problem?

Dealer not interested in trying to sort it out with supplier.

Anyone recommend a (non whistling) helmet that is comfortable for specs wearers as it looks like I will have to get a new one. :003:

Cheers
Gary

Offline The Cameraman

• CB500X Member
Re: Whistling helmet!
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 07:41:06 AM
Hi Gary,

open or full face?

I wear a Nolan N43 open face, which whistles like a window cleaner but is OK on the slower speeds of my Serows.

I also have a Shoei Raid II full face helmet, which is superb, quiet and has a pin-loc anti fogging visor.

Both allow ease of use, as I wear specs at all times.

Regards

Reggie
Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:56:39 AM by The Cameraman

Offline roboprop

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 08:37:56 AM
Cheers Reggie I will check out the Shoei as I want a full face helmet.
Best wishes
Gary

Offline Cam

• CB500X God
  • Bike: Black CB500x
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 12:38:08 PM
Check out the Shark Vision R etc.  They have a built in drop down tinted visor.  Bloody brilliant as you don't have the carry a tinted visor with you and a clear when it gets dark.  The Sharks also have consideration for our four-eyed bespectacled friends with a special removable little pad to allow easier insertion of the spectacle arms.  My missus and I have had the Sharks for a long time now and they have been great.  The newer ones have a chin curtain as well to block more air flow and reduce noise further. 

I would still take the other one back to the dealer and tell them you want a refund.  If they won't listen, shag all their women and drink all their beer!  Or complain directly to AGV/importer.  Don't buy from that dealer again.

Make sure you try lots of different helmets on.  You need one that fits you well and is comfortable.  I expect to pay about $350 - $400 AUD for a decent helmet and it goes up from there.

Offline baggy

• CB500X Pro
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 02:30:32 PM
I have the Shoei XR1100 and thats quiet, especially when you use the locking mechanism on the visor which seems to close the gap around the visor more

Offline roboprop

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 02:43:44 PM
The Sharks also have consideration for our four-eyed bespectacled friends with a special removable little pad to allow easier insertion of the spectacle arms.

Thanks for this Cam - nice to know there are some politically correct people out there! :002:

Cheers Baggy - will check this out too.

All the best
Gary

Offline Joe4262

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X
Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 05:40:03 PM
I have a shoei raid 2 and a shoei XR1100. the raid 2 is an excellent lid, really comfortable, but it whilstles for me when i get to 60-70. the XR1100 is the best lid i have ever had. i love it. though it is more expensive....

Offline fisherman

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: cb500x
Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 09:28:55 PM
Of all the bikes I've ridden and all the helmets I've worn I've never found a quiet one yet.
The only answer to noise reduction is ear plugs.

Offline 13.16.20

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: CB500X
Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 10:15:41 PM
Hi roboprop,

I'm currently using a wulfsport prima II has a similar whistling act it likes to perform on speeds above 40.

When I get my X though i'll be getting my LS2 back out of the loft,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LS2-FF384-ARMORY-ACU-GOLD-APPROVED-INTERNAL-SUN-VISOR-RACING-MOTORCYCLE-HELMET-/400275945987?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&var=&hash=item5d324e3a03

Hands down this is the most comfortable helmet i've ever worn. No wind noise, there's a neck curtain and also a drop down internal sun visor which comes down all the way, plenty of clearance for the arms of glasses as well. Plus nice and cheap.

Most importantly though, is that it's ACU Gold approved.

Best thing to do is scout out any local bike shops and try out any and every helmet you can. Just keep in mind that the comfort and protection is alot more important than the songs it serenades you with.

Regards,

13.16.20  :030:
No such thing as bad biking weather. Just a bad choice of clothing and attitude.

Offline roboprop

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 09:04:42 AM
Thanks for the advice lads!

Cheers
Gary