Author Topic: OP (options plug) connector confusion,lets resolve it.  (Read 138812 times)

Offline Macca

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: OP (options plug) connector confusion,lets resolve it.
Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 07:04:38 AM
*Originally Posted by Defender [+]
EscCtrl, to make it a sticky, it has to be submitted to Admin for appro, which is fair enough as it has to be accurate. As you are discovering, there are still questions being asked about where, when and how, and part numbers etc.
 It is a Sisyphean task( google it)

Sisyphean
ˌsɪsɪˈfiːən/
adjective
denoting a task that can never be completed.

Learnt something today.  Thanks Defender.

Iain

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 02:37:50 AM
*Originally Posted by Macca [+]

Sisyphean
ˌsɪsɪˈfiːən/
adjective
denoting a task that can never be completed.

Learnt something today.  Thanks Defender.

Iain

I like to learn.I was taken by surprised when defender posted that.Not many people know what it means.Most people give me this confused look when I say it.

Offline Matt F.

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: cb550x
Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 10:37:32 PM
EscCtrl:

Thank you so much for putting this thread together. It's nice to have all of the information in one place.

That said, let me add to this thread with a cautionary story. Don't be like me and attempt to do this without a service manual.  I'm now looking at a a dizzying array of bolts, rivets and a few screws, have broken the tabs off of my "mid cowl" and still have no clue what I'm really doing (let alone how/if it will go together).

There seems to be enough other stuff attaching the cowl that I don't know if breaking the tabs off is a fatal error, but it can't help.

I love the bike, but Honda sure doesn't make it easy to deal to add electrical options.
2013 CB500X

Offline Defender

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: Yamaha YBR
Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 01:48:48 AM
I don't wish to demean anybody, but it really isn't that difficult, although having the manual will obviously help.Wires can be threaded through to the underseat OP plug, without removing anything other than the seat, and the connector itself isn't that hard to figure out, in the US there's only 2 pins. Admittedly the forward connector is a bit of a pig to get at so perhaps best avoided unless access is vital.
If I can help somebody as I go along, then my living has not been in vain.

Offline Matt F.

• CB500X Master
Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 03:31:17 AM
Believe me, I have been called far worse!

My issue isn't so much with the electrical per se (although I wish the connection snapped together more positively... or there was some greater sense of detent). 

My problem is really in gaining access to the OP.  Never have I seen so many fasteners and half are blind and in spaces only a child can reach. I'm still not sure how I managed to break off the tabs, or how long it is going to take to put back together.

Please don't take this as whining so much as trying to warn other ham-fisted DYIers.

Thanks to all.
2013 CB500X

Offline faded_Glory

• CB500X Member
  • Bike: CB500X 2014
Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 07:15:45 AM
While we are back on this topic, I have finally come round to installing a Centech fuse panel below the seat and have wired the switched connections to the OP plug there. I had to order the correct terminal pins all the way from Italy because they are very hard to find in the UK. The only place I found who sells them has a minimum order of 12 for which you get far more than you will ever need.

I have routed my GPS leads from the front to the fuse panel and will do the same with my spotlights.

Offline lanerider

• CB500X Pro
  • 2015 CB500X WHITE
  • Bike: CB500X White
Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 07:32:16 AM
If its of any interest when my x was in the dealers i asked what they do re op plug i was told there is a harness which plugs straight into the plug you can then cut the harness to suit what you want to do the cost is 25  :018:
loving it loving it

Offline Matt F.

• CB500X Master
Reply #17 on: June 07, 2015, 06:11:10 PM
I felt the need to follow up on this thread as my last two posts were a hair on the negative side.  The fairing actually went on much more quickly and easily than I would have guessed.  I do have an extra bolt -- the home of which I cannot find for the life of me -- but everything looks fine and feels rock solid.  I'm choosing not to worry about it...

So, while I think the service manual would be helpful, a little patience and an adequate light source would probably be enough for most people to successfully complete the job. They were just two things that happened to be in short supply in my garage on Friday evening.... :084:

2013 CB500X

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Reply #18 on: June 08, 2015, 12:12:26 AM
*Originally Posted by Matt F. [+]
I felt the need to follow up on this thread as my last two posts were a hair on the negative side.  The fairing actually went on much more quickly and easily than I would have guessed.  I do have an extra bolt -- the home of which I cannot find for the life of me -- but everything looks fine and feels rock solid.  I'm choosing not to worry about it...

So, while I think the service manual would be helpful, a little patience and an adequate light source would probably be enough for most people to successfully complete the job. They were just two things that happened to be in short supply in my garage on Friday evening.... :084:

That extra bolt,maybe the one that goes under the tank at the bottom of the side cover.There's one on the other side as well.A factory service manual in invaluable for this.It shows and tells exactly how to disassemble the fairing and plastic covers.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 12:14:01 AM
*Originally Posted by lanerider [+]
If its of any interest when my x was in the dealers i asked what they do re op plug i was told there is a harness which plugs straight into the plug you can then cut the harness to suit what you want to do the cost is 25  :018:

Did you happen to get a part number or anything for that harness?I can't seem to sort it out with my dealer or online.I wired my charging station directly to my battery.