Author Topic: OP (options plug) connector confusion,lets resolve it.  (Read 138828 times)

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Re: OP (options plug) connector confusion,lets resolve it.
Reply #30 on: July 07, 2015, 02:46:45 PM
I am ordering terminals next week to do the front and rear options plugs.Gotta get paid.I believe the front options plug does not get seals.I will confirm this,hopefully this evening.Only the under seat options plug gets the seals.That seems odd at first,but the front options plug is buried between the inner cowl and outer middle cowl.I have had my under seat area get very wet in the rain,so it makes sense to have a weather tight connector there.Of course I will do a write up as soon as I get everything done.I have quite a bit of electrical stuff going on over the next couple weeks.Good things coming.I hope.Videos too,I hope.
Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 02:52:54 PM by EscCtrl

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Reply #31 on: July 07, 2015, 02:51:06 PM
Forum members outside the US.

If you find a source for the terminals and seals for these connectors,will you please post your source?It's crazy expensive to get these cheap little things delivered from the US.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Reply #32 on: July 07, 2015, 02:56:49 PM
*Originally Posted by Defender [+]
To sum up, remove OP plug from its mounting on the bike.
Identify the wire you wish to connect to, and remove the appropriate black  blank.
Separate the halves of the plug.
If the wire you are connecting is terminated to equipment at  it's other end, put the seal onto the wire.
Push wire through plug, strip off insulation, crimp or solder spade terminal onto  wire.
Push terminal into plug until it locks.
Push seal into plug.
Fit halves of OP plug back together until  locked.

That should be it, unless I've forgotten something.
Thanks to all involved in this long running saga, which I thought we'd bottomed ages ago with Macca's post way back. I suspect this won't be the end either.
Please, though, if you really don't know what you're doing, ask someone who does.

Maybe this will help.A step by step tutorial with pics. http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/R-R_Connectors/MP280_Help/mp280_help.html

Offline HerrDeacon

• CB500X God
Reply #33 on: July 07, 2015, 03:08:06 PM
I don't even have my bike yet (picking it up in a few days) but I've been following this thread with interest. I'm not that good with electrical stuff but EscCtrl's post detailing the connectors was perfect for me (already ordered a few :002: ), as well as the Eastern Beaver how-to page. Thanks for taking the time to document this. This plug that Honda included on this bike is a great idea, will make adding accessories easier for electrical idiots like me. The connectors will make a nice neat job of it as well.

I'll make an introduction post once I get my bike.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Reply #34 on: July 07, 2015, 03:13:52 PM
*Originally Posted by HerrDeacon [+]
I don't even have my bike yet (picking it up in a few days) but I've been following this thread with interest. I'm not that good with electrical stuff but EscCtrl's post detailing the connectors was perfect for me (already ordered a few :002: ), as well as the Eastern Beaver how-to page. Thanks for taking the time to document this. This plug that Honda included on this bike is a great idea, will make adding accessories easier for electrical idiots like me. The connectors will make a nice neat job of it as well.

I'll make an introduction post once I get my bike.

Welcome and thanks for following along.I have been on forums like this for a long time.I have learn so much from others.I feel that I should show my appreciation, by repaying the forums, and contribute as much useful info as possible.

Offline Defender

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: Yamaha YBR
Reply #35 on: July 07, 2015, 04:10:45 PM
EC, nice post on the eastern beavers tutorial. A good find, should be very useful, it's clear and concise.
If I can help somebody as I go along, then my living has not been in vain.

Offline O8ride

• CB500X Member
  • On life's long journey
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
Reply #36 on: July 07, 2015, 05:45:25 PM
So I had another go at experimenting with the Options Plug and found some interesting results.

Go purple wire! (on my bike anyway).

I am now confident I can build a full circuit for a USB plug direct into the Options Plug, and hopefully this may help others too

! No longer available

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Topic Author
Reply #37 on: July 07, 2015, 06:24:40 PM
I just finished a short video on how to use the options plugs the way Honda intended for them to be used.I will update with a follow up video when I get all my parts here next week for an install.I may do a how to on removing the side panels,middle cowl,and display to get to the front options plug.

I just finished this video so it may not be available straight away.

Offline O8ride

• CB500X Member
  • On life's long journey
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
Reply #38 on: July 07, 2015, 06:40:39 PM
Brilliant EscCtrl, I knew there must be a better way of getting into the OP itself, and now we know.

My underseat OP has 5 connections, not two, and I've not bothered trying to get to the front cowl OP. What I don't know for the two-connector underseat is whether it is switched or not.

For the 5-connection:

Green = negative
Red/White = unswitched 12V (ie always on), no different from plugging straight to your battery
Purple = switched linked to the headlights or tail-lights (and therefore always on while the bike is switched on). But some other forums suggesting this is a low load and therefore may not be suitable for gadget power.
Other two - switched, linked to indicators, and so only come on when indicators are on
Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 06:57:13 PM by O8ride

Offline Defender

• CB500X God-zilla
  • Bike: Yamaha YBR
Reply #39 on: July 07, 2015, 07:31:09 PM
More confusion, as far as I recall, the wire that is switched by the ignition, and fused at 7.5 amps is violet/red, on UK and US OP plugs. Please tell me I didn't dream this.

The 3rd wire on the front OP is blue, and connects to the headlamp "dimmer switch", which I take to mean Low beam or dip beam. Why, I know not.
Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:45:20 PM by Defender
If I can help somebody as I go along, then my living has not been in vain.